Menu

Classes, experiences, projects, etc. instead of organized sports?

In our house, that would result in couch potatoes. And the money "saved" would be spent in other ways.

As a bonus we would also have more family time to do life long family sports, running, biking, hiking, playing tennis, weight training, cardio equipment, golfing, etc.

It never occurred to me that any of these were life-long family sports. We certainly don't do them.

In our family, nobody plays organized sports. We are all active, hike, bike, rock climb, and the kids ride horses. But none of us likes team sports, the schedule aspect, and having to spend weekends at games or meets.

I don't see the need to have kids do an organized sport unless they really want to.

We do a mix of individual sports and team sports in our family. But, we all run. ALL of us. I think giving your kids a way of life that they can continue without a team is important!

Can they join other activities that are group activities and not sport related? Boy Scouts maybe? I'm all for family activities, but I do think the kids need an outlet and opportunities to make friends too.

I say give it a try for a year if they are game and put the money saved into a jar so they can actually see how it translates to new opportunities.

We have the same philosophy of encouraging sports we can do as a family - cycling, hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, and skiing. I know these are not lifelong sports for some people but I see a lot more people starting and/or continuing these activities in adulthood compared to typical team sports like soccer and baseball.

Plus, like you, these are things my husband and I did pre-kid and want to continue doing. Why spend our Saturday sitting on a soccer field watching a game when we can ALL be out doing something together. I also like the idea of building family bonds through shared activities. If our son comes to us desperately wanting to do a team sport I'll sign him up, but its not something I'm going to encourage.

We have the same philosophy of encouraging sports we can do as a family - cycling, hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, and skiing. I know these are not lifelong sports for some people but I see a lot more people starting and/or continuing these activities in adulthood compared to typical team sports like soccer and baseball.

I agree. We see plenty of old people hiking, biking, riding horses and even rock climbing (some well into their 80s).

Have not heard about baseball teams for seniors.

Dh and I are wondering how the kids would respond if we gave them a choice. They could continue in their sport or use that money for fun classes, experiences, trying a variety of things, more expensive projects then we would typically do, etc. As a bonus we would also have more family time to do life long family sports, running, biking, hiking, playing tennis, weight training, cardio equipment, golfing, etc.

What are your thoughts on doing this?

I think this sounds like a great idea (giving them the option.) We went the organized sports route, and sometimes I wish we had gone with more variety.

Our idea of sports are archery and sword fighting. Happily, they combine into our family hobby of the SCA. I'll be the mean Mamma saying, "NO! You may not do soccer/football/cricket/calisthenics/swim team/ nearly everything else." Archery, sword fighting and Renaissance dancing they can have without burning me out by running around like a headless chook. Swimming lessons will be necessary, but anything else will require a very, very convincing argument. They might find themselves in a position to play recorder or another instrument at SCA events too, which is a team activity, but not a sport. We'll see how life goes :) Rules can change when they are big enough to get themselves around.

Rosie

I do believe this is up to the individual family, but we decided as a family to slow life down a few years ago and to cut back on the expense and crazy schedule of organized sports. My dd still loves volleyball and basketball (dh coaches her team), but ds just isn't a "team sport" kind of guy. He does love mountain and road biking and is training to do road races in the spring.

That said, we have taken the extra money and allowed them to experiment with different experiences such as archery, rock climbing, spinning classes, Jazzercise, and more ambitious snow skiing lessons. They seem to have loved the ability to have different experiences and we do a LOT together as a family now.

(Hopefully I won't offend anyone, but I do not miss the mind-numbing hours spent on the soccer sideline at all.)