Menu

Sprain or break? - Paging Dr. Hive

So, I slipped & fell this morning (about 3hr ago). I was wearing slippery shoes and running to get to the fedex guy before he left (at DD's gymnastics - I used to work there). I slipped on the polished concrete. I fell so fast & hard that I didn't even realize I was slipping until I was already on the ground. I took 95% of the fall on my left hand. I landed on my hip too, but softly & it's not sore, so I'm sure it was mostly my hand.

I immediately got up & finished heading to catch the Fedex guy who needed a signature hoping nobody saw & trying to pretend like nothing happened. I reached for the signature machine & realized my hand/arm was too weak. I couldn't grab it.

I went & sat down to assess myself in private & that's when the pain kicked in. I had very intense pain in my left forearm about midway between my wrist and my elbow on the thumb side (if I turned my thumb to the ceiling the place where the pain is would also be pointed toward the ceiling).

About 5 min later I started shaking uncontrollably. I was FREEZING. I put my coat on and again tried to pretend like I was okay. I slowly started realizing my wrist right by my thumb hurt too, but it seemed to be related to the pain in my forearm. They were both very sharp, shooting pains.

I got my kids loaded up into the car and got them home. It hurts (achy type with periodic moments of shooting pains) all the time, but is tolerable and rather mild if I keep my arm wrapped in front of my stomach. If I let it dangle at my side the pain is almost unbearable - sharp and shooting. Same thing if I turn my hand/wrist in certain ways. I can move my wrist/hand up and down, and side to side, but rotating in a circle HURTS. There is no visible swelling or bruising. Any time I've ever gone in for something like this, it has never been broken. I've never had a broken bone in my life.

So....just a sprain, or something worse? What sayeth Dr. Hive?

I vote break, due to the nature of your fall and the nature of the pain.

Try running a finger along your radius (bone that goes from your wrist on the thumb side to your elbow on the outside. Breaks usually have point tenderness where you broke it.

Well.....I broke my scaphoid bone. Pretty sure anyway. The x-ray was actually inconclusive, but they definitely saw something there on my x-ray & this bone (when broken) does not show up on x-ray right away. It shows up later in the healing process. So, I have a bulky ER cast & when I follow up with ortho they will put a smaller cast on for 5-6 weeks.

Thank you for all your advice!!

Well.....I broke my scaphoid bone. Pretty sure anyway. The x-ray was actually inconclusive, but they definitely saw something there on my x-ray & this bone (when broken) does not show up on x-ray right away. It shows up later in the healing process. So, I have a bulky ER cast & when I follow up with ortho they will put a smaller cast on for 5-6 weeks.

Thank you for all your advice!!

Sorry to hear it, but glad you got treatment. I checked out which bone this is on Wikipedia, and it sounds like a lot of trouble from such a little player:

The
scaphoid bone
is one of the carpal bones of the wrist. It is situated between the hand and forearm on the thumb-side of the wrist (also called the lateral or radial side). The scaphoid bone is the largest bone of the proximal row of wrist bones, its long axis being from above downward, lateralward, and forward.
It is approximately the size and shape of a medium sized cashew.