Menu

A True Christmas Gift

Things have been increasingly tough financially for us over the past few years. This year has certainly been the most difficult, and we've had to make some decisions we never thought we'd be in a position to make. The industry my husband is (was?) a part of is pretty much dead and buried here, so he has been scrambling to try to come up with a mid-life career change despite years of being in a specialized industry. Our IRL friends know our situation and have been emotionally supportive and helped us keep positive thoughts. We have not asked for nor taken financial help from anyone. However, Saturday morning my husband woke up to an anonymous pkg that included a large sum of cash and a note that said something along the lines of Merry Christmas/ We hope this will help/ Things will look up one day / When they do and when you are able to do so, just pay it forward.

The person who left this pkg went to great lengths to keep his/her/their identity concealed - most likely knowing we would feel indebted or be unwilling to accept the gift at all. The note was typed and printed out.

The most astonishing thing to us came when we were trying to figure out which of our friends might have done such a thing. That's when we realized how blessed and how very rich we are. One would think that maybe we could have narrowed the list down to a couple or, at most, a handful of people, but we have many, many friends that we could see doing something like this.

I haven't been able to put into words just how our hearts have been touched by this gift. It seems like something that would happen to someone else. I do hope that one day we can repay this earthly angel by fulfilling the request to pay it forward.

That is so wonderful. God is so good!

Can I just mention, gently here, please don't spend much time and energy trying to figure out who did it. When dh and I give, we like to do it as anonymously as possible. We would NOT be happy to learn that someone we gave to figured out that it was us. I mean, we wouldn't be mad, but just, well, disappointed. So just take the blessing for what it is. :)

That is so wonderful. God is so good!

Can I just mention, gently here, please don't spend much time and energy trying to figure out who did it. When dh and I give, we like to do it as anonymously as possible. We would NOT be happy to learn that someone we gave to figured out that it was us. I mean, we wouldn't be mad, but just, well, disappointed. So just take the blessing for what it is. :)

Thanks, Bethany. I will definitely keep that in mind. We haven't mentioned it to anyone IRL for that very reason. We are certainly taking it as a blessing.

Wow, that is amazing. You must have some wonderful friends -- and you and your dh must be great people! :)

Cat

Thanks, Catwoman. And, yes, we do have some amazing friends. Since the person(s) wanted to remain anonymous, I chose to share here rather than share with my IRL friends. Thank you, Hive, for allowing me to share the story.

Isn't that awesome?! People truly amaze me sometimes (for the best lol). We had this happen at our previous church. I say previous because we moved 2.5 hrs away NOT because we gave up on it willingly. No way. It is a wonderful place with people being the hands/feet of Jesus.

So, two years ago, right before Christmas, there was an envelope in our church mailbox. In it were two gift cards and $200 (I think). Some one gifted us $100 last Christmas from the same chuch. The church also brought us a Christmas meal. People knew that we were in a rough spot financially, so they anom. helped us out. What a blessing they were!

Someday, I'd like to do that for someone who needs it. I try to help ppl when I can, as Jesus would do. I think this is a reminder to be better at it;).