Menu

Can we talk SL Core 3?

I know this is TWTM Board, but can we talk about Sonlight Core 3 (American History)? :D

I plan on starting Core 3 this summer with a 9 yro and 8 yro - they are currently in 3rd and 2nd grade. We finished core 1 and are finishing core 2. I have a few questions. BTW, thanks to EVERYBODY who takes time out to respond.

1. Landmark History of the American People - there is no way I could do this with a 9 yro and 8 yro - right? Is it too difficult for that grade level?

2. Can you buy Core 3's IG separately or do I need to buy the core package to get their IG? Could I possibly set up Core 3 without the IG (or should I not risk tweaking this one)?

3. What's better - the Advanced Readers or Regular Readers? The two kids who are doing this core are very strong readers, but length is an issue with the younger one.

4. Was anyone disappointed in using the 4 Day Schedule over the 5 Day Schedule?

5. The Story of the USA Books 1 and 2 - I need to order two copies of these for 2 students?

6. Could I include the would-be-Kindergartner in this core? Or would it be better to do Core 1 with her?

Thank-you for answering any of these questions. I start going into planning/buying mode every January or so. :D I know this is a very good core and I don't want to mess this one up. :tongue_smilie:

I'll take a stab your questions. I'll answer below your questions.

I know this is TWTM Board, but can we talk about Sonlight Core 3 (American History)? :D

I plan on starting Core 3 this summer with a 9 yro and 8 yro - they are currently in 3rd and 2nd grade. We finished core 1 and are finishing core 2. I have a few questions. BTW, thanks to EVERYBODY who takes time out to respond.

1. Landmark History of the American People - there is no way I could do this with a 9 yro and 8 yro - right? Is it too difficult for that grade level?

This book is well....difficult, but not impossible. Personally, I'm really not enjoying core 3. I'm really ready to dump it and make a switch from SL altogether. But for some reason, my ds asks me to keep reading more from this book. We are both learning from it, but I really think there probably could have been a better spine. My ds is 8, BTW. There are many on the SL forums that I've read that are really liking it too.

2. Can you buy Core 3's IG separately or do I need to buy the core package to get their IG? Could I possibly set up Core 3 without the IG (or should I not risk tweaking this one)?

You can by the IG separately from the core. I pieced mine together.

3. What's better - the Advanced Readers or Regular Readers? The two kids who are doing this core are very strong readers, but length is an issue with the younger one.

If you have strong readers I'd do the advanced. My ds if flying through them, and we are still having to find things for him to read.

Didn't try the 4 day schedule, so I can't answer that one.

5. The Story of the USA Books 1 and 2 - I need to order two copies of these for 2 students?

Depends on how you want to do this. I give this book for my ds to do on his own. But you certainly could read it orally to both and ask the questions orally.

6. Could I include the would-be-Kindergartner in this core? Or would it be better to do Core 1 with her?

You could, but some of the books are not really something my current K'er will listen to. He does listen to chapter books and novels well, but there are some here that he is just not ready for. I'm doing core K read alouds with him.

Thank-you for answering any of these questions. I start going into planning/buying mode every January or so. :D I know this is a very good core and I don't want to mess this one up. :tongue_smilie:

I'll try to answer some of your questions. :)

I think this is something that varies from child to child. My 8 year old likes it (so far), but I know that others have struggled with it.

You can buy the IG separately. You won't get the discounts if you don't buy the entire core, unless you are already a Core or Heirloom member. As someone who sold and then repurchased the Core 3 IG :tongue_smilie:, I'd recommend getting it, but YMMV. I'm just at a point where I don't want to plan and tweak (much) any more. :D

If you have the IG, you can easily do the Advanced with your older and Regular with your younger - they're both scheduled in there on separate lines.

If you want them to answer the questions in the book, you need two copies. But if you just use them as a read-aloud or answer on separate paper, you could just get one.

Again, it probably depends on the child. My 6 year old (kind of between K and 1st) wouldn't do well with it, but I know some have modified it to inclued their younger kids.

Thank-you sooo much. :) I don't think I'll be including Kid #3 in the Core 3 festivities. It does sound like it'll be too much for her. She's doing MFW K right now and I think Core 3 is way too much for her.

It never occurred to me that I could break up the Readers, either. I might take a closer look at the Advanced Readers. That's a good idea.

As far as it not being enough material to read over the school year...:D well, we're pretty ambitious too. I always end up adding and supplementing.

Thank-you for taking time to reply (and listening to my hysterical eccentricities!).

There is the option of using the Story of the USA books in place of the Landmark book. Someone on here brought that to my attention and SL even recommends it if the Landmark book is too much. That's an option or replacing it with the History of US books that will be used in Core 100 down the road.

In core 1/2, the 4 day and 5 day schedules are both in the IG (don't have core 3), so you can always switch later. You'd have to add some books in, but that would be about it.

I'm debating Core 3 for next year, too. I'd planned to do Core 1/2 over 2 years for my DD, but she's flying through it and loves it, and has asked to do US history next, so I was considering either 3 or 3/4 next year.

1. Landmark History of the American People - there is no way I could do this with a 9 yro and 8 yro - right? Is it too difficult for that grade level? I used this with my son when he was in 3rd and 4th grade. Landmark was a favorite of his :) We would occasionally stop and talk about some of the concepts, but it was really fine for him.

2. Can you buy Core 3's IG separately or do I need to buy the core package to get their IG? Could I possibly set up Core 3 without the IG (or should I not risk tweaking this one)? I needed the structure of the IG that year, so having it was important for me. Some people don't need the IG -- different strokes. I didn't purchase everyting from SL -- I purchased the IG used and picked up books through used sales, Paperback Swap, etc.

3. What's better - the Advanced Readers or Regular Readers? The two kids who are doing this core are very strong readers, but length is an issue with the younger one. We had used the Advanced readers.

4. Was anyone disappointed in using the 4 Day Schedule over the 5 Day Schedule? We used the 4 day, and I don't think we're any worse for wear :)

5. The Story of the USA Books 1 and 2 - I need to order two copies of these for 2 students? This book is a thematic reading comprehension tool. So, yes, or you could do it orally with both kids.

6. Could I include the would-be-Kindergartner in this core? Or would it be better to do Core 1 with her? I'm all for everyone studying the same thing, because that it how my brain works. Can you look for complementary books at the library for your Ker? That's what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

See above

1. We are enjoying Landmark with an 8 yo. No comprehension problems. Early on I needed to stop and give background information sometimes. And there have been times where I needed to help "interpret" it. But it's been okay. The chunks assigned to read aloud each day are very manageable. I looked at the Winter Promise spine and didn't like it. I'm hoping someone will write a "SOTW" version of American history. Story of the Americas? :D

2. I just bought the IG because I already had some of the books. I bought many of the books 4 for 3 on Amazon. I would not want to make my own schedule. I would have had to read a lot of the books first and figure out how to correlate the time periods. We are halfway through and I feel SL has done a pretty good job of this.

3. The advanced is the same readers plus a few more. Both schedules are printed on the IG. We are doing the advanced. I forget which books are added on. But, it is not too much reading at all. Thirty minutes or less (often much less) per day. I also have him read the Jean Fritz books aloud, instead of me reading them as the IG says to do.

5. I would think you'd need 2 copies if you plan to do all of the questions. These books aren't my favorite. They fill in some necessary facts but are really boring. Some might say they are busywork. :glare: They are at a level to be read and worked on alone IMO. Then I usually have him narrate (orally). A few times I have gotten a library book on whatever topic the USA chapter is on, and used that instead.

6. Can't answer that one.

We are using it with my 3rd grader now (8-1/2yo). The Story of the USA workbook I feel would be too light for us as a spine personally. We do use it as a read and comprehend workbook.

I have a K'er this year too, and my feeling is he would get very little out of this core if he were expected to share in it. The read-alouds and spine are just way above his comprehension level. Your K'er may be different.

1. I used Core 3 when my dc were 10 & 12. We loved "Landmark" and had no problems with it. I almost didn't use SL 3 because of all the bad reviews of Landmark...I'd recommend giving it a try before disgarding it.

2. I would use an IG (you can get a used one); it will save you a lot of time.

5. We used the Story of the USA books by reading and discussing them aloud so I think it just depends on how you use it.

6. I'm all for having all the children in a family learning together since there is so much interaction that occurs even in non-school times. I think Winter Promise has some younger books/programs that you could add in to help your Kindergartner.

Gotta say I love this core and I'm looking forward to repeating it next year.

I did this with an eight year old who could never get enough of this book. Next year, I'll be doing it with a ten and eight year old.

2. Can you buy Core 3's IG separately or do I need to buy the core package to get their IG?

Do what you're comfortable with, but I really like the Sonlight schedule. Core 3 is the first year I found myself using the schedulre more and more.

As previously posted, the adv. readers are the regular readers plus a few more books. I'd look through the titles and see if any really grab you, but I think you're fine with just the regular readers. If your older child loves to read lots then you might have one child read the adv schedule (both the regular readers and adv. readers) while the younger just reads the regular readers.

Love all the five day books.

I use these as non-consumables. We read them together and then answer the questions together.

I don't think I'd add a separate core for the kindergartener (at least not above core K). When I last did core 3, my 4 and 6 year olds both listened to almost all of the history, but they weren't up to listening to most chapter books. I'd let your daughter tag along as much as she can and then add a little age appropriate material for her - either related lilbrary books or any other books.

My kids love the Landmark book. We are doing Core 4 now, but the 2nd half of it is used there. When we started Core 3, my kids were just getting ready to turn 8 and 10. I've used the regular readers with both of them, but did add in extra reading (that was not historical fiction for some variety -- Harry Potter, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc.) since they flew through the books fairly quickly.

I did buy two copies of the Story of the USA books in core 3, but we wound up answering the questions together orally after I read the assignment to them so I should have only bought one of each.

I'm sure you could do it without the IG, but I wouldn't want to.

Lisa

We use landmark and story of the US both. Advanced readers. I just wanted to add in here that we added in BF primary which is VERY light and VERY doable and made it so easy to include our 5 and 7 y.o. boys in our American study. We all are loving BF as much and more than the SL (although I am glad to do the SL too). The girls read the SL 5 day in 4 days actually. They are 10 and 13 (now 11 and 14 actually - just) but not super strong nor avid readers. We love the D'Aulaire books in BF so much and really liked the coloring page suggestions in BF so went back and scanned way more so we have coloring almost daily, which we title and put in notebooks as our timeline of sorts in addition to a real timeline book with those little timeline pics.

I'm using Core 3 with a 9yo and a 7yo right now. The 9yo gets it when I read Landmark out loud to them, but the 7 yo's eyes will start to glaze over if I read it for too long. I find that he does better when I actually follow the SL schedule (they break up most chapters over several days). I also need to "translate" a little bit or have my 9yo narrate the reading selection back to her brother.

You can buy the IG separately. I actually decided (about a month ago) to accelerate the pace of Core 3. I don't like to break up chapters as much as SL does, my dc zip through their independent readers, and I decided hat I didn't really feel like spending 2 whole years on Am. History. So I set off to design my own schedule. After a couple of weeks of agonizing over how to line everything up, I broke down and bought the IG for Core 3+4. It's really so much easier to follow their schedule than to design your own.

Others have already answered this for you, but both schedules are in the IG, and the advanced readers include the regular readers. I put my dd on the advanced reader schedule, and my ds on the regular readers. Many of the books are short. Overall, they are easier than the 2 Adv. readers.

I bought the 5-day core, but then decided to only do the 4-day schedule for history and read-alouds. It's still got tons of good books, if that's the way you want to go.

I only have one copy of them. I'm actually only using them with my 9yo, but I may start using them orally for ds after Christmas. If you answer the questions orally, you only need one copy. If you want them to read independently and then write answers in the book, then you would need both. I think I will end up having my ds read a chapter, go over the questions with him orally, give it to my dd to read, and then have her write the answers. I want her to get in the habit of doing more written work. YMMV.

No, this core is way over the head of my 5-yo. He groans when I announce that I am going to read a book from Core 3. Really, I have skipped one or two read-alouds because I thought they were more appropriate for middle school age. I think Core 1 would still be too advanced, and even Core K is a bit of a stretch. I started the year intending to do core K and Core 3. (We've ended up changing a lot this year :tongue_smilie:). When my 7yo decided that he really wanted to do Core 3 with his sister, I decided that Core K was too much for the 5yo alone. I picked up a copy of FIAR for him, and the books are a much better fit for him. He loves having a special time alone with me each day, and he prefers the picture books over the short chapter books. He enjoyed the stories in Core K, but the picture books really are a better fit for him right now.

Edited by bonniebeth4