Menu

Favorite Books From Childhood

The Tales of Mr. Pengachoosa - what an adorable book! I have a copy still.

The Grown-up Day

Never Tease a Weasel

The Giving Tree

Also, this amazing Fairy Tale book we had. I wish my mom still had it, but she doesn't think she does. :( I don't know precisely the name, either, but the illustrations were out-of-this-world. It also had tales I had not heard before; my favorite was "Silvershod" about a deer with a silver hoof and also a story called "Kip the Keen Falcon."

As a teen, I also loved A Separate Peace.

Fun question!

Here's some of mine:

-The Little House books (I have fond memories of my dad reading these aloud to us while we did the dishes :D).

-They Loved to Laugh by Catherine Worth. My mom read this to us and it was so good.

-The Hobbit

-The Album of Horses by Marguerite Henry, 'cause I was horse crazy and I loved the pictures. :) I'm not sure if I ever actually owned it or just borrowed it a lot from the library. It was one of the first books I got for dd when she started showing an interest in horses.

Little House series

Wrinkle in Time series

Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (never really read the others as a kid, but I re-read that one many times)

The Hobbit (again, didn't really read the rest, but re-read the Hobbit many times)

Trixie Belden

Ramona series

Half-Magic

Stephen King (yeah...I was really young when I started reading those, like 10!)

This set of hard cover Mattel Peanut comic books - I only have a few left but they are my DD6's favorite:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/360319747085?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=184950549911&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=M*S%3F&GUID=0113e5421200a0aad3b04200fecd22c5&itemid=360319747085&ff4=263602_304662

LIttle Women

A Wrinkle In Time

The Canby Hall Series

Nancy Drew series (circa late 60's - that belonged to my mom)

Ellen Tibbets

The Magician's Nephew

Anne of Green Gables series

Encyclopedia Brown

Donna Parker series

Lisa and Lottie

Chapter books

The Chronicles of Narnia

Anne of Green Gables

My Side of the Mountain

Little House books

Black Beauty

The Just So Stories

Picture books:

anything by Richard Scarry

Make Way for Duckings, Blueberries for Sal and One Morning in Maine

The Snowy Day

Andrew Henry's Meadow

Curious George

Edited by ScoutTN

Nancy Drew, Bobsey Twins, Judy Blume, Beverley Cleary

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Striped Ice Cream - anyone read this?

Harriet the Spy

Encyclopedia Brown

How to Eat Fried Worms

The Secret Garden

Archie, Peanuts, Dennis the Menace comics

These that come to mind were from middle childhood. I read a lot of Disney fairy tale books in early childhood and lots of novels that I can't remember the titles later.

Indian in the Cupboard series (I grew up on an Indian Reservation, so I love, love, love this series.)

Wrinkle in Time series (especially Many Waters)

Chronicles of Narnia (Voyage of the Dawn Treader is my favorite)

The Secret Garden

Hop on Pop (1st book I read)

Fox in Socks

As I got into my teens, I started reading my dad's paperbacks. I really enjoyed:

Michael Crichton

The People of the ______ series (Earth, Ice, Valley, etc)

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

The Clan of the Cave Bear series

Ellen Tibbets

Lisa and Lottie

Wow -- I can't believe I found another person who loved this book!! I still remember all the illustrations.

The Little Engine That Could

Go Dog Go

Little Golden Books version of Little Red Riding Hood, for the pictures

Nancy Drew

Heidi

Johnny Tremain

The Keeping Days series

OMG OMG OMG! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

The name of this book has a alluded me for twenty years. I checked it out of our middle school library and due to bullying, lost this book and had to pay the library.

I always remembered the cover which was lavendar with a girl writing in a journal, and I thought it had the word "Days" in the title, but I misremembered it as "Journal Days" or "Journey Days",

I knew the story about a girl that wrote about her family life and I knew it was set in a similar time period as Anne of Green Gables. But it was never enough to find the correct book title!

I tried searching for the one you mentioned, since it was similar and lo and behold I found the cover I remember!

Thanks again, my mind can be at ease about this finally!

-The Album of Horses by Marguerite Henry, 'cause I was horse crazy and I loved the pictures. :)

This was one of my favorites too! It was in my Easter basket in 2nd grade. I've never understood why it wasn't saved.

I also loved Grimm's Fairy Tales, specifically a brown copy given to me by my dad. That one wasn't saved either. :glare: I've looked for a replacement for years and can't find one.

Ramona books

Encyclopedia Brown

Hardy Boys

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing series

The Borrowers

I'm impressed by the books some of you read as children. :001_smile: I just don't remember hearing of any of those books until I started looking for books for my own dc.

Edited by Julianna
adding more!

Glad I could help. I read the whole series. Actually, I devoured the whole series. I remember reading the first three on vacation in Myrtle Beach. I am sad they are out of print because I am sure my originals are long gone and eventually I would love my dd to read them.

OMG OMG OMG! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

The name of this book has a alluded me for twenty years. I checked it out of our middle school library and due to bullying, lost this book and had to pay the library.

I always remembered the cover which was lavendar with a girl writing in a journal, and I thought it had the word "Days" in the title, but I misremembered it as "Journal Days" or "Journey Days",

I knew the story about a girl that wrote about her family life and I knew it was set in a similar time period as Anne of Green Gables. But it was never enough to find the correct book title!

I tried searching for the one you mentioned, since it was similar and lo and behold I found the cover I remember!

Thanks again, my mind can be at ease about this finally!

My absolute favorite favorite book when I was young was "The Ghost in the Swing" by Janet Patton Smith. It is out of print now and the cheapest I can find it on Amazon is $88. I finally found it through interlibrary loan from another state and read it outloud to my kids.

My daughter loved it so much that we read it a total of 3 times outloud before I had to send it back. I would love to be able to own that one.

Sharing a well-loved book with your own kids is such a joy!