Menu

Frog and Toad?

simka2

I tried to google the reading level of Frog and toad and got everything fro K-2 and was wondering if the Hive could be a bit more specific?

Also, if I have a ds who really like these books...what would be comprable?

I know...really basic questions...I must not be wording my google searches right :D

I think 1st grade. My daughter absolutely LOVED Frog and Toad. I can NOT tell you how much she liked those books. :smilielol5:

After Frog and Toad, when they start getting into those really short chapter books, my daughter liked Commander Toad. He has an entire series and he goes into outer space. She read those over and over last year. She's read them this year too - just for fun. Our library has the series.

I'd consider it to be about 2.0, or end first/beginning second grade.

For other books around the same level, I'd consider other books by Arnold Lobel like Grasshopper on the Road or Mouse Soup, also the Little Bear books (Sendak) are just as beautifully illustrated... Henry and Mudge is another little series about the same level, and also about friendship and animals...

I tried to google the reading level of Frog and toad and got everything fro K-2 and was wondering if the Hive could be a bit more specific?

Also, if I have a ds who really like these books...what would be comprable?

I know...really basic questions...I must not be wording my google searches right :D

They are about the perfect post-basic CVC series. Not "too easy" and not "too hard." My (then) Kindergartner who was a relatively strong reader enjoyed reading these. Very funny books!

Really gems once one is past the BOB book stage.

Bill

I really like Scholsatic's site: http://bookwizard.scholastic.com/tbw/homePage.do

Also not perfect, but I can usually find the book I am looking for. It also has a "BooksAlike" search function that will give you books similar to the title you put in. They put the Frog and Toad books around the 2.1-2.3 grade level, depending on the book.

HTH! :)

If, like most people here, you're doing phonics, then they're probably more "advanced" than if you're doing long lists of sight words like in many public schools. There's a lot more than CVC words in there. Kids have to know some stuff you wouldn't get to for a good while if you were doing ETC or OPGTR. Just a thought.

If, like most people here, you're doing phonics, then they're probably more "advanced" than if you're doing long lists of sight words like in many public schools. There's a lot more than CVC words in there. Kids have to know some stuff you wouldn't get to for a good while if you were doing ETC or OPGTR. Just a thought.

I disagree. What I like most about the Alfred Lobel books is the that they don't throw in many phonetically difficult words of the type that are quite common in many early readers.

We did ETC and had no problem reading Frog and Toad or Owl at Home and they are pure fun!

Bill

The stories are in my son's first grade reader at school (Open Court, I think... They also use Scott Foresman, but I seem to recall Frog and Toad being in Open Court). I don't know which part of first grade they are, as I don't remember if he read them as regular classwork or the "blue group" (advanced readers that got to read from the 2nd semester book). So somewhere in the first grade range as far as traditional school textbooks go (where the Dolch site word list is utilized heavily).

Might like Mr. Putter and Tabby, too.

Frog and Toad have basic, simple plots that appeal to first graders, but some first graders won't have the phonics skills to figure them out. If your child is a phonetic reader, you might try doing the "you read a page, then I'll read a page" to get them into the plot, then give them the chance to read them independently once they are familiar.

Might like Mr. Putter and Tabby, too.

Frog and Toad have basic, simple plots that appeal to first graders, but some first graders won't have the phonics skills to figure them out. If your child is a phonetic reader, you might try doing the "you read a page, then I'll read a page" to get them into the plot, then give them the chance to read them independently once they are familiar.

-completely lost my train of thought!!! Your post reminded me that even though he is behind for his age, the length doesn;t bother him. I found that encourageing!!!

Frog and Toad has been so good for ds. He is VERY behind in reading, he's 9 and with our recent move lost a lot of ground. The F&T books give him the length he can handle while building his confidence on the comprehension and fluency.

Thanks for all the replies! I was really nervous with finding something with the same sense of humor. Ds is a pretty sarcastic kid, and to see him laugh while reading is WONDERFUL!!!!

Edited by simka2

Slightly off-topic, but did you know there's a musical about Frog and Toad? I was able to take my kids to a community theater production, and it was hilarious. The musical includes many of the stories from the book. The soundtrack is also available, I downloaded it from I-tunes.

(No, it doesn't help with book recommendations, but your son might get a kick out of it.)

Slightly off-topic, but did you know there's a musical about Frog and Toad? I was able to take my kids to a community theater production, and it was hilarious. The musical includes many of the stories from the book. The soundtrack is also available, I downloaded it from I-tunes.

(No, it doesn't help with book recommendations, but your son might get a kick out of it.)

We saw this a few years ago and loved it! Every once in a while, we still break out and sing, "I'm the snail with the mail, I'll deliver without fail!"

Fun stuff. :001_smile: