Menu

Is there a reason NOT to use NEM after PM6B?

I've been looking at the NEM series, and I like that the Geometry and Trig are integrated with the Algebra, and that my dd will likely finish the entire course before taking the PSATs in 11th grade. I like that it is concept based, and not incremental. We have used Singapore math since first grade, and I like that NEM will be a continuation of what has worked so well for us already.

Dd is pretty much self-teaching at this point (PM 6B). Will she likely be able to teach herself NEM, or is it more teacher intensive? I'm not worried about teaching it (I have a strong math background), but I'd rather not have another teacher-intensive course in my already busy day.

I know many people here have chosen other programs, even after using Primary Math, so I'm guessing there are reasons you don't like NEM.

Care to share?

Thanks.

Because I felt more secure with the thorough instruction in the text, and I knew I could continue with this program using teacher supports like DVT's and solutions manuals. I do not have a strong math background (only Alg II & Trig and several statistics courses in college and graduate school). It is the one area I feel most shaky teaching, so I wanted the text to be one that explains the concepts so I can understand and teach them. I follow along with every lesson.

I know many people here have chosen other programs, even after using Primary Math, so I'm guessing there are reasons you don't like NEM.

Care to share?

Thanks.

I think NEM is probably a great math program. I'm one who loved the Primary Maths series, but bailed out after one year of struggling with NEM. In my case, it is entirely due to my own weakness in math. I do not think that NEM 1 is as easily self teaching as the primary maths series, however.

However, I switched to another math program after 6B. I didn't think he'd be able to handle NEM, which sounded denser--not as well explained--as other math programs, so I obtained one of Singapore's other math programs, that were supposed to be less intense than NEM.

Ds hated it. Also, even this "easier" Singapore math program did look more teacher-intensive than the other algebra and pre-algebra books that I have here from other publishers. We switched to yet another program, this one not from Singapore.

HTH!

Your post title asked for a reason not to use NEM after PM ... so long as your student is doing well in PM and really understanding it, she can go right into NEM. Now, NEM is more demanding, so it will be like shifting from Jr. High into High School KWIM? But the great thing with moving into it at an earlier than American-standard age is the reduced pressure to "get it done this year." If she finds a need to slow down, she has time to do that.

NEM does not teach proofs with their geometry studies. If your student is college-bound, you may want to think about whether she needs to learn proofs. If she takes a separate logic course, that would be equivalent mental training to proofs. This is one reason I decided to blast my future-mathematician ds with both NEM and Life of Fred (which teaches proofs).

Another path I am considering for my dd (PM 5 this year) is putting in a year of something, I guess you'd call it pre-algebra, before NEM. I just received the Russian Math 6 book that's been mentioned on this board, and am considering that or something similar. Then having her start NEM after that. Again, there's no big rush ... ain't that a nice feeling? :)

Karen

We continued with NEM after PM. My kids have been self-teaching math since about 4th grade. It was an adjustment, but my oldest did very well self-teaching NEM, coming to me with problems. He is in the middle of NEM 2. My 11yo will start NEM 1 in the fall. So, if your child did well with PM, then there shouldn't be a problem with NEM outside an adjustment to the different look and feel.

I have NEM1 and 2, but also two old Dolciani texts. My 10 yo finished PM6 and having looked at NEM, and as others mentioned, it was just too "dense" to work through at this age. We are just about finished with RM6 and I expect to work through either NEM1 or perhaps Dolciani in the fall. The pros with NEM are the problem sets. The cons are their density and that they don't teach proofs. My vote is to take the time with RM6 which will review SM, instruct from a different angle (more proofy than computational a la SM), and teach the first couple of chapters of NEM in a less threatening manner.

jeri