Menu

Punctuation for...

I'd stick with commas, but you need to change some of the tenses to put it all together. To be honest, it's a bit long and meandering anyway - I wouldn't shove it all together. If I had to do it I would have:

When I was a young child, my grandmother regularly told me stories, my mother read continually, and my teachers always carefully guided us through our reading.

What does 'scaffolded' mean?

Laura

I'd stick with commas, but you need to change some of the tenses to put it all together. To be honest, it's a bit long and meandering anyway - I wouldn't shove it all together. If I had to do it I would have:

When I was a young child, my grandmother regularly told me stories, my mother read continually, and my teachers always carefully guided us through our reading.

What does 'scaffolded' mean?

Laura

It's a Vygotsky thing. (Child development theory/research.) "Scaffolding" is when an adult helps a child perform at a slightly higher level than the child would be able to do alone. Vygotsky said that scaffolding takes children into the "zone of proximal development," the level at which they are able to learn the most.

It's a Vygotsky thing. (Child development theory/research.) "Scaffolding" is when an adult helps a child perform at a slightly higher level than the child would be able to do alone. Vygotsky said that scaffolding takes children into the "zone of proximal development," the level at which they are able to learn the most.

Funny. I've been reading about this in brain development articles, especially related to my son's new programs for math and L.A., how the teacher scaffolds, or builds upon prior knowledge which is the foundation. Coolio.

Sorry, I have nothing to add to the punctuation. I think Laura did a fantabulous job of that. :001_smile: