Menu

Favorite Read-aloud books for grandparents to read?

A good friend of mine came up with a fabulous Christmas idea - she's giving her inlaws a digital recorder and some books for them to record themselves reading to her kids. They live far away, like my kids' grandparents do, and I would like to do the same thing.

The question is, what should I have them read? I have A Child's Garden of Verses for MIL to read, because she memorized "The Swing" as a child and can still recite it - I think she will like that. She doesn't have to read them all, of course.

FIL likes trains. I was thinking about The Little Engine That Could, but I'd like something else, too. It would be great to find a collection of stories, you know, or a fun chapter book.

I'd like them to be books that the kids can listen to without pictures if you KWIM, so I'm not sure about picture books. I think The Little Engine That Could will do well without necessarily having the book (although we do have it, of course).

Any suggestions? Another friend of mine has her mom on tape reading "Uncle Wiggily's Bedtime Stories." I have an Uncle Wiggily book, too. Maybe Thornton Burgess?

I'd like to have my parents do the same thing so I need a few books. I wouldn't be in such a rush if I didn't have to place the silly Amazon order. Bleah.

Oooh, the original Thomas stories! What a great idea! I think FIL will love that!

And the Grandma's Attic stories are perfect for MIL. Thanks, you guys! I'm going to check out the others for my parents to read - I was having trouble thinking of something for my dad. Mike Mulligan might be just the ticket.

Thanks again!

What about:

The Little Red Hen

Goldilocks

Three Little Pigs

Henny Penny

Etc....

I grew up hearing those stories without pictures.

Those are wonderful! Do you have book that you like that includes them? I tried searching, and there are lots of books of folk/fairy tales out there. It seems like there should be one, don't you think?

Those are wonderful! Do you have book that you like that includes them? I tried searching, and there are lots of books of folk/fairy tales out there. It seems like there should be one, don't you think?

The only book I have that has several, has simplified versions. My dad griped that the version of The Little Red Hen wasn't complete. :). That's what made me think of those stories. I like the Paul Galdone versions. But I think any set of traditional stories will appeal to multiple generations.

I would ask them if they have some favorites they would like to share. :)

I agree, but I want the initial gift to be a surprise! I would love to have them include books that are special to them, but not until after Christmas. :) I did choose one book for each of them and then will leave it up to them to decide what they'd like to record.

My FIL does sing, but is not bilingual or anything. MIL does not like to sing when I might hear her; she's quite insecure about that. I will suggest singing to my mom, though, because she loves to sing with me and the kids.