Menu

wrapping presents questions

Each dc gets 3 gifts from us. I wrap them up so that there are 3 presents under the tree each from us. Their stocking stuffers I wrap individually just because it's fun to have a lot of little things to unwrap in their stockings.

When they were little we did it the same way--even their art boxes that they got every year with a ton of art/craft supplies in it was all wrapped as one big box per child.

We wrap every single thing, except stocking stuffers. Some years are better than others as far as gifts, and I think the suspense of "what's inside" is half the fun of getting the gifts.

There's no greed factor as we don't put out any gifts until Christmas Eve, late, late after children are fast asleep. So it goes from nothing under the tree to KABOOM: tree stuffed.

I wrap all gifts--our kids don't get that many so gift unwrapping goes quickly as it is.

I also wrap stocking stuffers. Some years back I started letting the kids get their stockings as soon as they woke up and take them back to their room until everyone was awake. Having the stocking stuffers wrapped makes it more fun.

I usually wrap everything separately. I don't wrap stocking stuff. Sometimes I'll do a stack of books together, if I have a bunch that I've picked up at the thrift store. The only thing I can think of that I'm wrapping together this year is two paperback books for DS9, because they're both part of the same series.

The children will each have about 4 presents under the tree. One "big gift" from us, a box of miscellaneous stuff (t-shirts, socks, calendar, and the like), a book, a game of one sort or another. And possibly a "family" gift from the grandparents (this year, it's educational computer games from CTP).

I grew up with a mother who just loved opening presents. We each had 20 presents (a box of socks, a box of underwear... you get the gist). We each had to take our turns opening presents. One year it took us FOUR HOURS to open this stuff. I said "enough."

We limit the presents to a handful (and that used to NOT include gifts from grandparents... now that includes gifts from grandparents). I also don't usually give the kids socks & t-shirts -- but this year, they are getting a box of snow clothes... thermal underwear, thick socks, snow suits, hats & scarves... so there is an exception).

With big kids (whose presents get expensive) and little kids (who don't need as much stuff), we just prefer to get one "big" gift from all of us that is really nice, and something they really want... vs. lots of "stuff."

Stocking stuffers here are personal care items (toothpaste, toothbrushes, swish&spit, flossers, pencils, erasers, crayons, magnets, some candy... but nothing "big" or out of the ordinary. Things that have to get replaced all of the time. Oh, and it's the one time each year I buy cereal other than plain cheerios and oatmeal for consumption (I do buy some other cereals to pack as snacks for swim meets... but I don't keep them on hand).

I wrap most things....some I'll consolidate into one gift, like a couple of books together, but most things are wrapped separately.

Each year one or two things are also left unwrapped with just a bow - last year it was DS's bike, this year it'll be the train set he's asked for choo-choo'ing around the Christmas tree.

Gifts from Santa meant for the kids to share are not wrapped and are ready to be played with.

All other gifts are wrapped (Santa uses special wrapping papers and pre-printed gift tags).

Stocking stuffers, except for candy, are wrapped in holiday tissue paper.

Santa is not an issue any more because the kids are teenagers.

I wrap everything..and I never use to wrap stocking stuffers but this year I am wrapping stocking stuffers too! For the exception of fruit or candy in the stockings.

I have my "santa" paper hidden so everything in the stockings and their 1 "santa" gift will be in the same paper..and no other gifts will be in that paper.

I wrap everything-even each individual book. J is our only child, so yes, we do spoil him a bit ;)

Now this year, his *big* present from DH and I could not be wrapped. It was also his Birthday present as well. He knows that Christmas from *us* will not be as big this year since we just spent 8 days in Disney World.

My Mom, went over-board this year but it is all nice things, not junk, so that is ok.

Santa presents are never wrapped. They are put together then a big bow placed on top of them. This year that means a telescope and his Hot-Wheels Criss Cross Track.

I wrap all gifts that are not in stockings and not huge (skate board ramps and bikes, etc. just get bows on them).

I tend to group gifts together that Dh and I are giving (clothing, video/electronic gifts, books and stationary, small toys, arts/crafts). The kids love opening boxes with lots of little stuff in them. Generally everyone gets 2-3 gifts to open from me/Dh.

Santa gives 1-2 gifts and wraps in "Santa" paper. I allow them to put three items on their letter to Santa. The kids show me what they write and I veto anything on the list if needed (there is no way the kids will get their own personal laptop computer no matter how much they want it and beg Santa for it -LOL). I make sure what they put on the list is do-able. When kids were younger we told them that Santa asks parents for permission to give certain gifts and that he checks to make sure the parents haven't already bought the gift.

The kids can give me another list of 10 items (rarely do they come up with that many though). The lists help me let relatives know what the kids want and I guide the younger kids to getting gifts that are on the lists.

The kids end up with so many gifts as we are just a huge family here. The kids all want to give a gift to each person. I get lucky occassionally when the kids are willing to share in giving a gift, but that is rare-LOL. They love to give... even if it is something as simple as a chocolate bar or a package of cookies that someone loves but rarely gets.

I have my "santa" paper hidden so everything in the stockings and their 1 "santa" gift will be in the same paper..and no other gifts will be in that paper.

I do same using "Santa" paper -LOL.

I don't usually wrap stocking stuffers unless it is something special (a necklace, a Gameboy game, etc). The Christmas socks, ornament, tooth brushes, yo-yo, etc don't get wrapped.