Menu

Would you rather be a big fish in a little pond, or a little fish in a big pond?

I need to keep this vague (sorry), but I'm trying to help someone make an important decision. That person has the opportunity to either be a big fish in a small (but still perfectly good) pond, or become a little fish in an important pond.

If that person stays a big fish in the smaller pond, he will get lots of appreciation and excellent chances for development. However, he won't get the superior training and status of the big pond. In the important pond he will just be another little fish, but hey, the pond's a really good one.

Is all that clear? I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but surely many of you have dealt with this type of situation. I look forward to reading all answers and advice.

Actually, I have btdt. For the short run, the small pond is good. Long term I have found it necessary to move to the larger pond and be a smaller fish. The opportunities are just far better. In the small pond, you have no possibility of growing larger. In the big pond, the possibilities are there. You can only grow to a big fish in a big pond. (Though I have seen a couple of monster fish in a small pond, it is rare.) However, there are some fish that move to the big pond only to wind up being eaten. In those cases, it is better for the fishy to move back to the small pond as quickly as possible.

It depends on the goals. If becoming a big fish in the big pond (or in another pond all together) would be possible in the future due to the benefits of being in the big pond, I would go with that one. If this person would be satisfied to be the big fish in the small pond for a long time and doesn't really need the benefits of the big pond, then I would go for the small pond.

I'll use an example from my own life. If I were to have to choose between being a little fish at a Big 4 CPA firm or a big fish at a small, local CPA firm, I would choose the Big 4 Firm every time. Why? Because the training, contacts, and prestige that comes from a Big 4 firm would carry me for YEARS anywhere else I wanted to go. So, for business and career advancement, I say little fish at a big pond, as long as the development/training/experience benefits are good.

However, for education purposes, I would probably choose to be a big fish in a little pond, as long as the little pond still had the facilities and professors that would help me reach my goals. At the small pond, there would be less competition for the plum research positions and a better chance of developing good relationships with professors that would serve me well later.

:iagree: It depends on the person, dh, for example is better at being a big fish in a little pond and I am better as a little fish in a big pond.

This is us too. DH is currently a VP at a small company. He loves it because he has a lot of autonomy to run things the way he wants, hire his own people, etc. He also has better benefits than a lot of the larger companies are currently offering since with fewer employees they are able to be a little creative in how they handle them (we have a high deductible plan through insurance, but the company then pays us back for the deductible). He really wanted to open his own company but in his field it is a very expensive proposition so this was a good compromise given we have a family to support.

I have worked in both large and small companies and I personally prefer a larger company. I've had bad experiences with smaller companies - lack of training, rules are too vague and change arbitrarily, management given too much discretion. Both large and small companies can close without much notice these days but large companies are (slightly) more likely to offer some form of severance package and/or job placement services.

It will depend on the personality of the person involved, the industry involved and the specific companies to really know which is better.

Personally, I've always preferred LF/LP, but I'll take LF/BP. I just don't need the pressure of being a BF in any size pond. :D

My daughter is going through this now with dance. She's always been a BF/LP, and will be going into company as a LF/BP. She doesn't like that. My dh is a BF/BP, and he likes it a lot. I think much depends on personality.

Actually, I have btdt. For the short run, the small pond is good. Long term I have found it necessary to move to the larger pond and be a smaller fish. The opportunities are just far better. In the small pond, you have no possibility of growing larger. In the big pond, the possibilities are there. You can only grow to a big fish in a big pond. (Though I have seen a couple of monster fish in a small pond, it is rare.) However, there are some fish that move to the big pond only to wind up being eaten. In those cases, it is better for the fishy to move back to the small pond as quickly as possible.

:iagree: good points, Lolly (lolly lolly get your adverbs here :))

There is a time in your life when it's better to be the big fish in the small pond. You can develop confidence and get the attention you need. Being the small fish in the big pond lets you see other oportunities and allows you to choose direction.

It all depends on where the person is in his/her own life.

Yeah, if you're ready to swim with the big fish, go for it.

I'd rather not be a fish.

Clearly, I'm in a strange mood this morning and was only responding to your title.... Still, is there a way to think of this outside of the box?

HA! When I saw the title, I thought I'd rather be an otter.

The factors that worry me about being a big fish is pride and laziness--at least when you're a big fish too early. For example, when I went to college, I was a very small fish in a very big pond. I saw so many of my classmates crash and burn because they had always been effortless big fish and had never truly had to work next to people with similar abilities. They had never learned to work hard or deal with the fact that there are a lot of very big fish in the world.

So, my answer is that it depends on the situation, but every fish needs to know that he is, in reality, a pretty tiny little fishie, and that's OK. :001_smile:

We had this decision last spring, whether ds would do better as a big fish in a small (less than 3,000) college or as a minnow in the ocean of a 50,000 student University.

He is a big fish in a small pond and thriving! But then again, he can be quiet, is somewhat of an introvert - it was the correct choice for HIM. He can't hide in a class with only 19 students!!!

He can go swim in the ocean as a grad. student.

My next-in-line would thrive as a minnow in the ocean (which she has visited and longs to attend.)

I have been both a big fish and a minnow. I enjoyed the ocean far more than the small pond.

It all boils down to the individual, and in which environment they would thrive and make full advance of the opportunities presented.

Personally, I've always preferred LF/LP, but I'll take LF/BP. I just don't need the pressure of being a BF in any size pond. :D

My daughter is going through this now with dance. She's always been a BF/LP, and will be going into company as a LF/BP. She doesn't like that. My dh is a BF/BP, and he likes it a lot. I think much depends on personality.

:iagree: I was thinking (lf/lp) the exact same thing.

:iagree: The fishy who is an extrovert might shine in a big pond, but an introverted fishy might be invisible in the big pond. Both can enjoy time in either pond, but they must have the drive to succeed in either.

:iagree: It depends on the person, dh, for example is better at being a big fish in a little pond and I am better as a little fish in a big pond. And, it depends on the season of life - right now I would be better off in a little pond.

Can't I be the big fish in the big pond? ;)

Hey, come on, I'm asking nicely! :D

How old is the person we're talking about? If the person is young and just starting out, he needs to be far more aware of future advancement potential, but if it's an older person starting a new career, the smaller pond might be a better solution, as it can be more difficult for an older person to advance in a large company without years of prior experience and some great connections. It can also be uncomfortable for an older person to get a "little fish" job and have to answer to a 25 year-old boss.

Cat

The factors that worry me about being a big fish is pride and laziness--at least when you're a big fish too early. For example, when I went to college, I was a very small fish in a very big pond. I saw so many of my classmates crash and burn because they had always been effortless big fish and had never truly had to work next to people with similar abilities. They had never learned to work hard or deal with the fact that there are a lot of very big fish in the world.

So, my answer is that it depends on the situation, but every fish needs to know that he is, in reality, a pretty tiny little fishie, and that's OK. :001_smile:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Big fish little pond is the comfort zone, the safe place, the expected.

Little fish big pond is opportunity, risk, and advancement (or failure).

With big risk comes big reward - and big failure.

So it depends on how ready and willing a person is to give up the safe place and take the big risk.