Menu

Many Christmas orders stopped to the whole of Scotland

Several of the biggest online suppliers have ceased accepting Christmas orders to Scotland. The roads are now clear after massive snow falls last week and the week before, but the suppliers' warehouses are so full of backlogged packages that they are accepting no more orders. I tried to order from Marks and Spencer, and my post code (zip) is blocked. Luckily they have bricks and mortar stores, so I'll be able to send husband to pick up.

I think that we are all going to have to learn how to deal better with snow after the last two years. Husband is planning on swapping his rear-wheel-drive car for a 4x4.

Laura

Guest CarolineUK

Oh Laura, you have my sympathies. We only had a week of stuff not getting through here in Yorkshire and I felt very frustrated. My Sainsbury's delivery getting cancelled was the worst thing, it certainly made me realise how much this family eats! We couldn't even get our own cars out of the driveway (we're also considering the 4x4 option, though DH is not thrilled at the prospect). It's all back to normal now thank goodness, at least until the weekend. I've decided that I've become far too reliant on on-line shopping (although with three wild boys around all the time I can't actually see an alternative at the moment).

Hope things improve for you soon, especially during the run-up to Christmas, although looking at the weather forecast I don't know how realistic a hope that is.

Best wishes

I can't believe that they're that backed up. Glad you have an M&S near enough that you can go pick up.

I agree with you that the authorities are going to have to learn to prepare better for frost and snow. Down here we only got a dusting of snow and some frost, but it still caused problems and things were cancelled, etc, nothing like what you dealt with, but still. Colder winters seem to be an ongoing reality here and things can't just shut down. Someone needs to get some tips from Canada or Sweden. :001_smile:

And I too have thought about a 4x4. That's probably a good business to be getting into about now.

DS's piping teacher (and the rest of the staff) was snowed in at the Piping Centre in Glasgow for 3 days! Luckily, there are rooms to let there, so there were showers, LOL.

I suspect there was more drinking than working going on, though...

a

I can't believe that they're that backed up.

It was exam papers - they needed to be sent securely but luckily the timing is not crucial, as the marks have already been reported. Express 24 triggers an automatic pickup in a van, but I thought I'd phone the dispatch office, just in case. By midday they said that they had not even begun to look at today's orders......

Laura

Oh, that's unfortunate right before Christmas! We had a similar situation here a few years ago when we got snow (maybe a foot in total over a couple of weeks) that just stayed and stayed. The post office was still delivering packages, but UPS, FedEx, and all the other package companies got really far behind. At the end of January, I was still receiving Christmas packages that had been ordered in the beginning of December and shipped with two-day shipping. It was a mess.

I'm sorry that you all are dealing with such a mess! I can completely understand why your husband wants 4-wheel drive now. After our big mess, we were in the market for a new car, and we didn't even consider non-4-wheel drive vehicles after being stuck at home for three weeks!