Menu

Let's say you have a friend...

who's been diagnosed w/ OCPD & maybe bipolar, but may have just internet-diagnosed.

And she got an rx for prozac, which seemed to help w/ the OCPD. As in, she was almost unrecognizable, but in a good way. It was only 20mg, when she probably needed quite a bit more, but it was enough, & then say she ran out. But she's got an older rx for 10mg in the back of the cabinet.

What would you tell her to do? The obvious solutions (um, see a dr, silly) aren't available to her for one reason or another. She's pretty private, so it's hard to tell how ok she is.

She can double up on the 10mg (if they're recent enough to be effective!) & have 2 wks before she runs out. Or she can cut back to 10mg & have about a month. Theoretically, the dr option might be avail in a mo.

Let's say she thinks that having been on the meds has "taught" her what normal is & that she'll be able to emulate it, so her "educated guess" for herself (!) is to "gradually" reduce, ie, go down to 10mg when she runs out of the 20, & go to 0 when she runs out of that. :001_huh:

Can she just call her doctor for a refill? If not, I guess I would suggest she take two of the 10 mg capsules every day and try hard to get in with the doctor before she runs out. It is a very very bad idea to play around with psychiatric drugs. :grouphug: for your friend.

Can she just call her doctor for a refill? If not, I guess I would suggest she take two of the 10 mg capsules every day and try hard to get in with the doctor before she runs out. It is a very very bad idea to play around with psychiatric drugs. :grouphug: for your friend.

I don't know how she got the rx, but she doesn't have a dr or ins. She was laid off last yr (or maybe the yr before?) but w/ the cost of childcare, figured they'd be better off w/ just her dh's salary. I think they do actually come out ahead (by very little), but no ins now.

who's been diagnosed w/ OCPD & maybe bipolar, but may have just internet-diagnosed.

And she got an rx for prozac, which seemed to help w/ the OCPD. As in, she was almost unrecognizable, but in a good way. It was only 20mg, when she probably needed quite a bit more, but it was enough, & then say she ran out. But she's got an older rx for 10mg in the back of the cabinet.

What would you tell her to do? The obvious solutions (um, see a dr, silly) aren't available to her for one reason or another. She's pretty private, so it's hard to tell how ok she is.

She can double up on the 10mg (if they're recent enough to be effective!) & have 2 wks before she runs out. Or she can cut back to 10mg & have about a month. Theoretically, the dr option might be avail in a mo.

Let's say she thinks that having been on the meds has "taught" her what normal is & that she'll be able to emulate it, so her "educated guess" for herself (!) is to "gradually" reduce, ie, go down to 10mg when she runs out of the 20, & go to 0 when she runs out of that. :001_huh:

I'd be looking around for a free or low income clinic. She needs ongoing care.

I understand about her not having insurance and not having a doctor, but I totally agree with Nakia as far as her not fooling around with psychiatric meds.

Can she call where she originally received the script and ask for samples? Does she have a family practice doc - samples again? Sending :grouphug::grouphug: to your friend as well.

If your friend is able to get an appointment with a doctor, I would encourage her to ask the doc to work with her to apply for the LillyCares program, if she is eligible, to obtain the Prozac for free. (That is, if the doc agrees this is the best treatment plan for her.)

Eligibility is based on your inability to pay and the lack of third-party prescription payment assistance, such as insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, government, or community program. Basic eligibility requirements are as follows:

• You must be a U.S. resident
  • Your income must be below certain levels, based on the number of people in the household (for example: $33,000 or less for one person, $44,000 for a family of two, or $67,000 for a family of four). Income limits depend on family size, and may be higher in Alaska and Hawaii.
  • You must not have any other prescription drug coverage (private insurance, Medicaid, VA, Medicare Part D, etc.)

Also, I know many areas have retail stores that offer low-cost generic prescriptions. I'd check to see what those stores offer, as there may be a great option available there.

As far as your original question, it would be better for your friend to go from 20mg, to 10mg, to 0mg than it would to go from 20mg to 0mg. Would tapering the dose at this time be the best thing for her? I am not able to answer that, and I don't know that she can give a realistic answer for that. Is there a low-cost walk-in clinic that she can go to? I don't know that such a physician would be comfortable prescribing an anti-depressant, but I don't know your area.

I understand about her not having insurance and not having a doctor, but I totally agree with Nakia as far as her not fooling around with psychiatric meds.

Can she call where she originally received the script and ask for samples? Does she have a family practice doc - samples again? Sending :grouphug::grouphug: to your friend as well.

I hate to say this, because I don't know for sure, but I do think she self-diagnosed & then got her rx from a Care Now, box type place by indicating that she didn't have ins & was out. All...*sort-of* true. :001_huh: But the dr there told her that "since he wasn't treating her" for OCPD, he could only have it filled once. She's afraid of spending another $100 or so for an appt & not getting the rx.

*sigh* I know there have got to be low-cost programs, but I looked on our state website, & I don't see anything in her area. Someone at church told me about a Christian charity, & I was w/ her when she called them, but she says they haven't called back.

She really needs to call again, but there's so much red tape! For someone who sits on the edge of depression anyway, it's hard to know how hard to push, & it's heart-breaking to see her face so many obstacles to getting $4 meds.

She's talked lately about looking for another job, but I wonder...w/out her rx...if she'd even be able to find a job? Of course, that's the last thing I'd say to her.

I hate to say this, because I don't know for sure, but I do think she self-diagnosed & then got her rx from a Care Now, box type place by indicating that she didn't have ins & was out. All...*sort-of* true. :001_huh: But the dr there told her that "since he wasn't treating her" for OCPD, he could only have it filled once. She's afraid of spending another $100 or so for an appt & not getting the rx.

*sigh* I know there have got to be low-cost programs, but I looked on our state website, & I don't see anything in her area. Someone at church told me about a Christian charity, & I was w/ her when she called them, but she says they haven't called back.

She really needs to call again, but there's so much red tape! For someone who sits on the edge of depression anyway, it's hard to know how hard to push, & it's heart-breaking to see her face so many obstacles to getting $4 meds.

She's talked lately about looking for another job, but I wonder...w/out her rx...if she'd even be able to find a job? Of course, that's the last thing I'd say to her.

What a very sad situation. I am so sorry for your friend. I hope and pray she finds the means to get the correct medications soon. You are a very sweet friend for trying to help her.

It is a very very bad idea to play around with psychiatric drugs.

Absolutely. Please urge your friend to see a Dr asap. Many moons ago I was on anti-depressants and discovered how dangerous it can be to mess around with psychiatric medicine. It's just not worth it.

:grouphug: to your friend. I hope she can sort this out and find balance and peace. You're a good friend for wanting to help her. :001_smile:

Sadly, I know that what you wrote is true -- the red tape is getting worse and worse, prices are going higher and higher. And as far as the doc in the box, it's the luck of the draw -- sometimes you get Dr. PEZ, sometimes you get Dr. NO. I am praying so much for my dd30 whose disability is about to be discontinued -- and that's how they pay their rent.......and our house is really really too small for them to come here.....and she has MCS so this would never work for her. It's just getting really difficult out there.

You are a good friend to try to help her.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: