Menu

Why does my chicken soup smell/taste like cinnamon?

Where did I go wrong?

I boiled chicken with lemon pepper, seasoned salt, and some garlic powder.

In a separate pot I put 2 large cans of chicken broth, sliced carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, frozen noodles and a few bay leaves. When the chicken was mostly cooked through, I cut it up and cooked it in a pan with a little more seasoned salt, garlic powder and lemon pepper. I then added it to the soup and let it all simmer together for about 30 min.

I checked all my bottles of seasoning...they were all the right ones. So, why does my soup smell (and taste vaguely) like cinnamon? DD noticed it too, and is now refusing to eat it because of that. I noticed it as I was adding the celery. Is the celery the culprit???

I put tons of celery in every soup or stew, and it has never tasted like cinnamon.

So, I wonder about the frozen noodles. Did you make them? If purchased, check the ingredients.

Did you check the ingredients listed on the seasoning bottles? Did you smell the seasonings to see if you could detect a hint of cinnamon?

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. I hope you find the cause, though. I'm interested in the resolution of this mystery.

I bought frozen noodles - the same kind/brand a friend used when she brought this same recipe of chicken soup to my family. I smelled all the spice bottles. The chicken broth was the generic store brand.

I, however, smell it on my fingers. Which means it has to be the carrots, celery, onion, or chicken. The mushrooms were pre-sliced. I did, eat some of the carrots though, so I know it's not them. I smelled the onion bag after I noticed the cinnamon smell and it just smelled like onion. Hmmm......

The last thing cut on the cutting board would have been either onions or green peppers. The bay leaves are stored with the rest of the spices, but this was a brand new bottle that I just brought home from the store 15 min before I started.

When I smell my fingers....I really think it's the celery. It's VERY cinnamon-y (is that a word??), but has a hint of celery.

• 11 years later...

Are you cooking it in a pot that you previously cooked something with cinnamon in it? 

I cooked chicken noodle soup in a pot that I had previously boiled apple cider with cinnamon and other spices for Christmas. Even though I have put the pot in the dishwasher several times everytime I cook anything in it now, I can taste a hint of cinnamon.