Menu

Freezer burnt cuts of beef... wwyd?

We'll never buy half a cow again! :glare: There's over 20 packages of freezer burnt cuts of beef in our chest freezer. dh does not want to toss them. I've got 4 cuts of rib-eye sitting on the counter waiting for the Hive to dictate their dressings. How should I prepare it so it to minimize the yuck taste? Any special sauces? I favour the crock-pot because my son has therapists over from 4-6 so I can't be in the kitchen. Any ideas on how to save this? Blech.

I was at my mom's once and she opened some beef or deer meat for dinner that was just covered in freezer burn. I was dreading dinner, but it was delicious. I would just cook it in some sort of liquid (beef broth, red wine, or whatever) with some spices and then try to forget about the freezer burn.

I was at my mom's once and she opened some beef or deer meat for dinner that was just covered in freezer burn. I was dreading dinner, but it was delicious. I would just cook it in some sort of liquid (beef broth, red wine, or whatever) with some spices and then try to forget about the freezer burn.

It's basically just dehydrated--the water gets drawn out of it (how does that happen? All I know is that right now our freezer in the garage is doing it to our food, and it's full of frost. Huge heaping mounds of it.)

Wow! I need to ask you some questions as the cow we ordered was just butchered today and we'll be getting half of it. The most we've had before is 1/4 cow. Steaks, roasts and stews were vacuum packed and hamburger was wrapped in plastic. None of it got any freezer burn and we had it almost a year. This butcher we will have this time wraps in freezer paper. Can you tell me how yours was packaged? Was it in a freezer that was opened often? How long did you have it? Thanks!!!!!