Menu

After looking at everyone's tree pix I'm curious

Do you have presents under your tree early?  

1. 1. Do you have presents under your tree early?

• Yes
    • No
    • Some years yes, some years no
    • Other because someone will want it.

no, we don't have gifts under the tree until christmas morning. growing up we always did though. honestly, my cat would tear up the boxes, lol. plus, i really want the children to have a "WOW" experience & since we don't have tons of money to fill the room with gifts, it makes it seems extra special to have nothing there & then wake up to lots of presents.

I voted some years yes, some years no....I guess it's probably no more than yes. But I can't really remember. this year I don't have any toddlers who will rip into them if I put them out early, but I do have assorted dogs and cats, and just generalized anxiety, I guess, so they're not out right now anyway. but I hate to see a tree with nothing under it all month...this year my compromise is this: we read a different Christmas book every night during Advent. I've doled them out in different ways over the years, but this year I went and bought a whole bunch of gift bags at the dollar store, numbered them, and put the books in. So all those bags are under the tree, and as the bags get emptied they can be used for other gifts. I probably will put the real presents out a few days before Christmas, though.

I actually voted other this time. We have presents for others (outside our immediate household or even for dh/myself) but the kids gifts do not go out until they are asleep on Christmas Eve. When we were kids, my Mom put them out early and we peeked every year when she wasn't around. I always knew what I was getting before Christmas. I also don't want to listen to them whine about their presents for weeks on end.

I like to wrap them as soon as I get them. Then I figure why not just put them under the tree. My boys understand not to touch to gifts. I even coded them so they wouldn't know what gift belongs to who, but my dh let the cat out of the bag with that one so the other day the boys had fun picking out all their gifts with out touching. I think it makes it look more festive. The only thing that bugs me is that my nice new Christmas tree skirt is all covered up and now you can't see it.

No, because it would just torture the children (and, consequently, us!). DD5 would be surreptitiously unwrapping packages and hiding them, and DD8 would be touching every single thing under the tree constantly. It's just easier not to, and it does add to the Christmas morning surprise :D

Family gifts go under the tree as they are wrapped. So the kids put some under there today, wrapped in colored tissue paper & metallic tape. LOL!

But it can be tricky w/ littles, convincing them not to unwrap stuff when we're not looking.

We open family gifts Christmas Eve, & then anything that goes to out-of-town family gets pushed to the back, to make room for Santa. Family gifts are small & simple: things like new pajamas, etc, & only one per family member. (Well, one for ea kid from parents, but one from ea kid to ea kid, too, so it's starting to add up these days, lol.) That way, kid gifts to ea other are never competing w/ Santa gifts. And the focus on Christmas Eve is on family, homemade gifts to ea other, games, etc. Christmas Eve is very special to me.

It's very important to look at how full & beautiful the tree looks before we open family gifts & how empty afterward, so that the full impact of the "magic" can be felt the next morning. Mom would *always* individually wrap every. last. gift. down to new toothbrushes in the stockings, so that it looked like A LOT, lol. I think, in retrospect, her love language is gifts, & so it mattered more to her that they were there than what they were. Wrapping everything added to the mystery & the time it took to open them, which also made it seem like more.

I didn't notice any of that when I was a kid, though. I only noticed the MAGIC. :001_smile: So we do it that way now, too!

I said yes, we do, but this year we have and are only putting out the smaller gifts, and gifts for extended family. The children's main presents won't make an appearance until Christmas eve - after the kids are soundly sleeping! We've gotten each of them a large lego set and our kids would know right away - from the shape - what their presents are. And were they to so much as touch one of those boxes... Well, if the shape didn't give it away the sound certainly would! So this year they're not seeing those presents until Christmas morning!

Sort of.

I have a whole bunch of amazon boxes under the tree. The contents are not wrapped.

I am not entirely sure if we will open the amazon wrapping before Christmas and truly wrap things or not. I am not feeling very festive and the fact there are presents under the tree at all is huge.

(It is just a hard busy season and the church related pain is even more acute than usual.)

Okay, to explain my "other" I will tell you that I put out some but hold back at least half. When the kids were little I held everything back, but if they made/wrapped gifts to give those could park under the tree.

I like the way the tree looks with a few packages underneath. So I could have answered yes or no but not 100% either way.

I voted "Yes," however it is the children who wrap gifts and put them under the tree. Last week ds6 grabbed a bunch of construction paper, and 2 rolls of tape before quiet time in his room. He emerged with some beautifully wrapped gifts. He has been giving them to different people every other day or so. :D

Yes. I have nowhere else to put them! This house is pretty sparse on storage space (or any space, lol).

We always have, though, even with toddlers running amok. Most people I know who don't put presents out until the last minute do it that way because of pets with potentially destructive tendencies. We only have a snake, and since I'm pretty sure that even if he escaped his cage he'd be uninterested in the gifts, we're pretty safe. :tongue_smilie:

Not at this time, but I would under different circumstances. Ours is a little 3' tree on a small table, so there's not much room. On Christmas Eve, we pile all the presents under the tree (small items) and on the floor around it. Eventually we'll get a taller tree, I think, but honestly I do like how EASY the small tree is!!!

The other reason is that it's torture for my 2.5 year old! We got a big box from Grandma recently and I think he asked 6 times that day if it was Christmas Day yet. So I put them all in a closet and he only asked once today, so that's better:)

I truly learn new things here everyday ... I didn't even know people waited to put presents under the tree. When we buy them, they get wrapped and placed under the tree. Otherwise, where would I be able to hide it all? I am a last minute shopper though - so the only gifts we have under the tree at the moment are ones from family members that have been mailed to us.

We put ours under the tree. I remember growing up that there would always be a ton under the tree, but then on Christmas morning, the loot would double! We didn't do Santa, but it was just our parents spoiling us. ;) We've tried to do the same thing, but we somehow don't have enough gifts to duplicate the experience. :glare: This year, we have all the presents under the tree except for the one large item for each kid. We mostly did this, though, because my son would recognize what my dd is getting and we didn't want him to spoil the surprise.

Yes!!!! Going crazy wondering what's in those boxes is half the fun.

Dh and I also like to intentionally throw them off by putting gifts with shapes they'd recognize into huge or strange shaped boxes.

When I was a kid my mom threw an extra bit of excitement by labeling the gifts in code, so none of us kids knew which gift was for who.

No presents until Christmas Eve for us. It's a big to do around here when Mom and Dad march out, arms heavy with shiny packages, and place them under the tree.

A few years ago I got a stash of already decorated boxes in varying sizes on clearance after the holidays. This year I did place those under the tree so that it doesn't look so bare.

I voted sometimes. If I manage to get them wrapped early, then yes. But I often wrap very last-minute!

We open presents on Christmas Eve, and none of those presents ever purported to come from Santa, so there's no reason not to put them there other than my procrastinating on wrapping!

Santa brings one thing and stocking stuffers Christmas morning (my kids don't believe anymore, but I can't imagine changing that now! :D)

This year not even the tree skirt is going on until Christmas Eve. Stupid cat peed on it last year. This year I am also using cloth bags instead of wrapping paper, so I don't want to risk him peeing on those. Hopefully he will be good for 1 day (no he normally does not pee outside the box, I think he gets too lazy to get out from under the tree).

We usually have gifts under the tree, although for some reason I'm running behind this year. (Not just on the wrapping, but I'm running behind on EVERYTHING! No baking yet, no cards sent yet, etc...but that's another thread I guess!)

However, there will be gifts from the children to each other, and a couple of gifts from us to the children under the tree prior to Christmas Eve. Then, Santa brings everything else (unwrapped) on Christmas Eve.

We always have - even with cats and dogs and babies and toddlers. We've never once had a present opened early. Plus, we receive a lot of presents from family who don't live here so it would be kind of weird to get a parcel in the mail and then hide those presents away as well. It's also fun for the kids to see the presents under the tree, to be able to add their own presents for others to the pile, and yes - even to occasionally count the presents (although we frown on that now).

I remember growing up my sister and I used to continually reorganize the presents under the tree. We'd take them all out and put them in piles according to whose they were and then we'd put them all back again. It was loads of fun and it never caused any bitter feelings.