Menu

Can I make buckeyes with natural peanut butter?

I made natural almond butter ones the other day, and other than my own mistake of not putting enough powdered sugar in them, they were yummy!

Oh. My. Word. Thank you for that idea! I have a whole jar of almond butter sitting in the pantry, wondering what it's purpose in life is. I think I'll make a half batch of both *slurp*

Hey those are on my to do list today too! DH's office loves it when he brings in "Christmas balls". :001_huh::lol:

I think you could do it with the natural. You might need a teensy bit of butter to help with the moisture if they don't come out too creamy. I made sure the natural pb was room temp last year and thought it was fine. If it were cold that's when it would be hard to mix and not moist enough.

I have my aunt's heavenly recipe, and I have all the ingredients, but the only PB I have is the natural stuff, which is just not as creamy. Is it still satisfying in buckeye form, or do I really need Skippy for this?

TIA!

Natural peanut butter works just fine. I've used both Krema and Trader Joe brands with no problem. If you have really thin pb, add extra powdered sugar to reach the right consistency.

BTW for authentic buckeyes, you should use Krema. It is made in Ohio. :D

Hey those are on my to do list today too! DH's office loves it when he brings in "Christmas balls". :001_huh::lol:

I think you could do it with the natural. You might need a teensy bit of butter to help with the moisture if they don't come out too creamy. I made sure the natural pb was room temp last year and thought it was fine. If it were cold that's when it would be hard to mix and not moist enough.

:lol::lol: This is the conversation I had a little while ago with DD5.

DD: "Mom, aren't you going to make those popeyes?!"

Me: "They're called pot pies, and I'm making them for dinner, not lunch."

DD: "No, they're for dessert!"

Me: ":001_huh:"

DD: "The peanut butter balls with the chocolate?!"

Me: :lol:

It's like the telephone game!

Thanks for the temperature tip. I have PB from the fridge and PB from the pantry--I'll definitely use the pantry jar.

Natural peanut butter works just fine. I've used both Krema and Trader Joe brands with no problem. If you have really thin pb, add extra powdered sugar to reach the right consistency.

BTW for authentic buckeyes, you should use Krema. It is made in Ohio. :D

:lol: I've never even heard of it, but I'll make sure I look next time I'm at the grocery store! And our PB is kinda thick, which is why I wondered if it would work. I'll add the butter if I need to like i.love.lucy suggested. Thanks!

Isn't it against board rules not to share a "heavenly" recipe?

Go Buckeyes!

:lol: Well, I think it's probably the standard recipe, but because I only have them once a year, they're heavenly to me! Plus, I tried making them earlier this year and used a crummy recipe (in spite of all its stars!) and ended up with buckeyes that almost wouldn't hold together and chunky chocolate instead of creamy. My aunt's recipe is my gold standard :D

Melissel's Auntie Sue's Buckeyes

2 cups peanut butter

1 cup butter, softened

5 cups powdered sugar

2 12-oz pkgs of chocolate chips (any kind, milk or dark)

4-5 Tb. vegetable shortening

Combine peanut butter and butter with wooden spoon until evenly blended. Add the powdered sugar and stir until the mixture has the consistency of sticky Play Doh.

Use a double boiler to melt chocolate chips with the shortening, stirring frequently (you can probably use the microwave if you want).

Roll the peanut butter mixture into 1 inch balls & set on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. If dough is really sticky you can add more powdered sugar. Put the baking sheet in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to make the balls easier to handle.

To dip the balls in chocolate you can use a toothpick or a fork. To make them "buckeye" balls, leave a small part of the peanut butter exposed. Set them back on the baking sheet and cool the finished candies in the refrigerator until chocolate has hardened.

Makes about 100 candies.

Ohhhhhhh. Your recipe is different, but sounds yummy. Mine have Rice Krispies. Could they not be "authentic" because of it? Here's mine:

2 c peanut butter

3 c rice krispies

1 lb powdered sugar

1 stick butter

mix and form into balls

in a double boiler melt 8 oz milk choc chips, 6 oz semi-sweet chips (I actually use all dark choc - semi-sweet because we like dark choc better) and 1/2 bar or parafin wax. Dip balls in choc and set on a wax paper cookie sheet to harden. I like to chill them. The wax makes the chocolate all shiny!

People can't seem to get enough of them. We've had them for breakfast too once. I mean, c'mon... peanut butter and rice krispies!:D

Ohhhhhhh. Your recipe is different, but sounds yummy. Mine have Rice Krispies. Could they not be "authentic" because of it? Here's mine:

2 c peanut butter

3 c rice krispies

1 lb powdered sugar

1 stick butter

mix and form into balls

in a double boiler melt 8 oz milk choc chips, 6 oz semi-sweet chips (I actually use all dark choc - semi-sweet because we like dark choc better) and 1/2 bar or parafin wax. Dip balls in choc and set on a wax paper cookie sheet to harden. I like to chill them. The wax makes the chocolate all shiny!

People can't seem to get enough of them. We've had them for breakfast too once. I mean, c'mon... peanut butter and rice krispies!:D

I have absolutely no idea whether they're authentic or not. I just know that I'll shove my own children out of the way for the last one :D

Yours sound yummy though. I seem to remember that the first person who made these for me used paraffin too--I had forgotten all about that! I remember being shocked that wax was edible. She was from Ohio too, so maybe yours is closer to authentic than mine is!

I have absolutely no idea whether they're authentic or not. I just know that I'll shove my own children out of the way for the last one :D

Yours sound yummy though. I seem to remember that the first person who made these for me used paraffin too--I had forgotten all about that! I remember being shocked that wax was edible. She was from Ohio too, so maybe yours is closer to authentic than mine is!

Thanks for both of these, ladies ...

I'm from Ohio (Columbus), third generation Ohio State Alumna ... and I don't have a recipe [hanging head in shame] but I've never heard of rice krispies in it, but have heard of paraffin ... so maybe you both have half an authentic recipe LOL

My recipe is similar to Melissel's. It is printed on a postcard I bought in Columbus, Ohio.

3 cups creamy peanut butter

1 and 1 1/2 sticks of softened butter

2 pounds of powdered sugar

16 ounces dipping chocolate

---

Dipping chocolate can be found in the baking aisle of the grocery store. It may be labeled chocolate bark or chocolate candy melts.

To make dipping chocolate out of chocolate chips you add either vegetable shortening or paraffin wax. If I use chocolate chips instead of candy melts, I add wax. Mainly because I have it and don't have vegetable shortening.