Menu

How to improve DD's immune system?

My DD has suffered from severe asthma from age 4 to 6. She's now controlled with the use of Singulair. (She's 10, and hasn't needed an hospitalisation since we started Singulair).

But, yes, there's a but, she catches every single cold just by being in the same house as someone who's sick. She's had about 4 days of health since September. Her colds may or may not develop into sinuses infections.

Now, it wouldn't bother me so much if they were only colds. But (here's the second one!) she's a level 7 gymnast, and these colds are now seriously slowing her down. She's especially hit when she has a sinus infection because she can't do any tumbling until it's cleared.

I really need to boost her immune system. How do I do that? She's already taking a vitamin on a daily basis. She eats pretty badly too, with food allergies and sensory issues.

You might want to look into magnesium if she has asthma (even if it is controlled). I like magnesium gel/oil/lotion. You can get it online. A search on these boards should have some links included. Start with a small amount and build up. Tends to make skin a tiny bit itchy. Do not use without medical supervision if she has kidney problems.

As for colds, I caught everything -- everything! -- for decades until my MD tested my vitamin D levels and brought them up. Now I catch nothing even if my husband and kids are sick. It's great! I'm loving not being sick in winter. HTH.

I hate to mention this, but my dd has had some problems with all the chalk dust used in gymnastics. This year she is not doing it, and she has not had any colds or bronchitis or pneumonia. Not sure if there is a connection, but just thought I should mention the possibility of a chalk dust reaction that may keep airways inflamed.

Brenda

How about going off all dairy? I know it's a pain, and you'll have to serve a lot of pure foods, probably homemade, to know everything you give her is dairy-free, but I bet it would bring some results. Mucus-forming dairy can't be helpful to an asthmatic with sinus infection proclivities.

• 2 months later...

My son is the same way: asthma, hyper-reactive but also has a milk protein allergy. I second magnesium, vitamin D3 and vitamin B complex. :) They have helped some, also we have just started pro-biotics, it is supposed to help the stomach kill the germs before they get any further. HTH

How about going off all dairy? I know it's a pain, and you'll have to serve a lot of pure foods, probably homemade, to know everything you give her is dairy-free, but I bet it would bring some results. Mucus-forming dairy can't be helpful to an asthmatic with sinus infection proclivities.

I second this.

My dd has allergies (food and otherwise) and asthma. She was sick all.the.time. Influenza, pneumonia, bronchitis, cold after cold...

Nearly two years ago I took her off of all dairy (including goat) and she has not had a single sniffle or cold since! She even made it through my ds having a super tough upper respiratory infection in November. I think her dairy intolerance was lowering her immune response. And we are so pleased to finally have her healthy. We had some scary hospital visits!

Going dairy free can be a challenge. But once we got used to it, it really wasn't a big deal. Now, all of us are basically dairy free. Ds still drinks a small glass of milk daily, I no longer even buy cheese except parmasan, and all gravies and sauces can be made with rice milk.

Oh, and having your dd take zinc will increase her immunity too. If she doesn't 'do' pills, there are zinc sprays you can buy.

Edited by Alyeska

The regimen the allergist put my son on included nasonex and zyrtec. The nasonex helps the most. It stops the rhinitis in the nose before it can cause other problems. You have to take it everyday for 30 days to reach the therapeutic level and if you miss one day of dosing it loses significant amount of effectiveness until you build back up. I also have asked for this and it helps GREATLY with my sinus issues! The allergist said that my son would have less colds taking nasonex than the average child and that is true.

CLO- cod liver oil- which contains vitamin D and A, vit D is crucial for the immune system and is deficient in like 80% of people or something

Also, broth- nice good broth soaked for days made w/ the best quality bones you can get. Grandma was right lots of good stuff in chicken soup!

The two things that have made a noticeable difference in immunity for my daughter and myself are:

1. Cutting out sweets. If you only do one thing, this is the one I would recommend most! Sugar suppresses the immune system, and it is like night and day for me, how my body reacts to colds when I am avoiding sugar, corn syrup, etc. In one case, I get the sniffles and a bit of a raw throat for a day, and then I'm fine. In the other case I'm sick enough to be in bed for five days, and then get secondary infections like sinus infections and end up being miserable for two weeks. Even if I do nothing else - no vitamins, herbs, homeopathy, etc. sugar makes that much of a difference!

2. Cod liver oil. It has Vitamins A and D, and EPA and DHA, all of which are important to the immune system.

That's all I know to tell you. Good luck. I hope you can find something to help her.

Just an update..

So far, she's been lucky, I guess. We started Nasonex on a regular basis. Her pediatrician has told us to use it for a few years already, but we never did. We tried it and never found any difference. This year however, out of desperation, we tried again, and we do see a difference. She also takes a multivitamin, although that's not new this year. Only the Nasonex is new and she had only one cold since December. A record for her!

I second this.

My dd has allergies (food and otherwise) and asthma. She was sick all.the.time. Influenza, pneumonia, bronchitis, cold after cold...

Nearly two years ago I took her off of all dairy (including goat) and she has not had a single sniffle or cold since! She even made it through my ds having a super tough upper respiratory infection in November. I think her dairy intolerance was lowering her immune response. And we are so pleased to finally have her healthy. We had some scary hospital visits!

Going dairy free can be a challenge. But once we got used to it, it really wasn't a big deal. Now, all of us are basically dairy free. Ds still drinks a small glass of milk daily, I no longer even buy cheese except parmasan, and all gravies and sauces can be made with rice milk.

Oh, and having your dd take zinc will increase her immunity too. If she doesn't 'do' pills, there are zinc sprays you can buy.

Alyeska, I'd really love to hear more about your favorite dairy-free recipes, if you'd like to share . . . Thank you!

Alyeska, I'd really love to hear more about your favorite dairy-free recipes, if you'd like to share . . . Thank you!

Sure! Nearly everything I made before dairy free, I can make now. I just substitute rice milk for milk, dairy free margarine for butter, and skip the cheese. If a recipe is too dependent on cheese, sour cream or buttermilk, I skip that recipe. One thing that rice milk won't work in is pudding.

We don't have to avoid ALL traces of dairy like some people do, so I think I have more recipe leeway.

I am sure that almond or soy milk would work in recipes too...I bet the almond would add a nice rich flavor...we can't do almond because of nut allergies and we think soy is yucky. So rice milk it is!

Gravy is actually very good made with rice milk. When i make casseroles or pot pies, I just treat the rice milk as regular milk and thicken it with flour. It takes a little getting used to if you like super rich gravies...they aren't as rich, but in turn are also healthier. Now that we are used to it, we don't mind the lack of richness. I also don't use a lot of margarine in my gravies, so perhaps adding some margarine to increase the fat content would help with richness?

I hope this helps! ...no specific recipes per se, we just substitute. Oh, but I do have a recipe for dairy free cream of chicken soup to be used in casseroles, as the canned condensed stuff is loaded with dairy (and yucky! lol).

Here it is:

1.5 cups chicken broth (if you use bouillon cubes, you may want to omit the salt...I use chicken base so it isn't so salty, or you could use reduced sodium canned broth)

1/2 tsp poultry seasoning

1/4 tsp onion powder

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/8 tsp black pepper

1/4 tsp salt or more to taste

1/4 tsp parsley

1.5 cups rice milk

3/4 cup flour

Boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup rice milk, and seasoning for a few minutes. In a bowl, whisk 1 cup rice milk and the flour. Add to the boiling mixture and continue whisking until it boils and thickens. Yields 3 cups of soup.

Thank you, Alyeska!

If you ever feel like passing on more dairy-free tips or recipes, I'd love to hear them. I really want to avoid dairy. The longer we do it, the more we're getting used to it. But it never hurts to have delicious dairy-free food to keep our morale up!:)