Menu

Switching from FFL to R&S

Guest eviewill

Guest eviewill

Hello from sunny Australia,

I am currently using FLL 1-2, 3 and 4 with my children and it has been working well in terms of their learning. My problem is with five kids, including an 18 month old, I am finding it hard to find the time to sit down and go through the lessons each day. I am considering swapping my oldest boy (possibly my second oldest as well) to R&S as I have heard that students can use this more independently. I will keep my younger girls on FLL 1-2 as it is going so well with them and I feel that they need more of my input at this stage.

I have three questions.

1. Is it correct that students can work more independently with Rod and Staff?

2. My eldest is going into year 6 but we are behind in Grammar due to a lot of mucking around initially. He is very bright however and is breezing through FFL 4 (when we have time to do it). Would it be ok to move him straight to R&S 6?

3. Is there anything else that is worth looking at that my boys can do largely independently?

I would really appreciate your input before I go ahead and order for the new year. :bigear:

Guest quilt2day

I switched my son from FLL 1/2 to R&S 2 this year. We do the lesson part together (read it), do some of the questions orally and then he completes the "homework" himself. So far it is going well. He didn't like all the writing in the beginning but has adjusted. I also don't make him do all the practice problems if he is getting it. For me the time is about 5-10 min.

I don't know about the level 6 stuff because my oldest is in 2nd grade.

Hope that helps.

My DS11 is 6th grade now. After FLL4 (which we finished mid-5th grade), we did R&S5. I picked and chose the lessons since much was redundant, and we were in the middle of a year (wanted to start w/ a fresh level by gr 6. In hindsight, we probably could have gone right to level 6, but there were a FEW things we would have missed, like a bunch of lessons on the proper usage of "raise vs. rise", and "leave vs. let" or something like that. ?? can't remember now!

In R&S, I remember I had to work with him the first 10 or so lessons, so that we could establish a pattern of how the book worked, and what I would expect him to get read, and down on paper, etc. Now he's in gr 6, doing the level 6 book. He does it completely independently, except for discussions when we do corrections. It's a nice change of pace, and was soooo necessary! I'm still going through FLL1 and FLL4 w/ 2 of my other kids, so we need TIME freed up! :-)

FWIW, we switched for the same reason as you. I LOVED FLL1-4, and will bring all my kids through them, but they indeed are very time-intensive. And with many kids, it becomes a logistics issue. They have mastered much more basic grammar than I ever did (maybe even through high school!?) with all that diagramming, so I wouldn't change it for anything. Glad to be past it though, and on to more independent work w/ my DS11.

Good luck to you!

Regards, Stacey in MA

I have three questions.

1. Is it correct that students can work more independently with Rod and Staff?

2. My eldest is going into year 6 but we are behind in Grammar due to a lot of mucking around initially. He is very bright however and is breezing through FFL 4 (when we have time to do it). Would it be ok to move him straight to R&S 6?

3. Is there anything else that is worth looking at that my boys can do largely independently?

I would really appreciate your input before I go ahead and order for the new year. :bigear:

1. Yes. The lessons don't depend on the teacher like FLL does. The teaching is right in the student book. They can also be done orally too. The TE is awesome. I started mine out orally, to ease the transition, then slowly transitioned them to doing it on their own.

2. He'd probably do fine in the 6 book. One of mine went straight from FLL 3 to R&S 5. Nearly everything in the 5 book will be repeated in further depth in the 6 book, and you can always slow down if he's having a hard time wrapping his brain around a particular concept. I assumed we'd have to do the latter for my kid who skipped a 4 book, but she blazed right through it without a problem.

3. Growing With Grammar is a workbook series that's mentioned around here fairly frequently. It sometimes gets poor retention reviews. I have no experience with it.

We moved from FLL3 to R&S5. Yes, much is redundent, however there are some things that go into further detail, practice. We do some together, some separate. I guess you could do more of it independently, however I prefer to do grammar together, primarily because I want to make sure they understand new concepts, and I don't like busy work.