Menu

Allergy rash or?

DD 8 keeps getting this rash. It comes and goes. Seems to flare up at night. We have not changed laundry soap or anything. I started using dryer sheets for Dh's clothes only about 4 months ago.

It is extremely itchy and Benadryl makes it go away.

I plan on taking her to the dr.

it is just so hard to tell if it is food related or contact allergy. It is almost always on her back but occasionally she will get a patch on her leg or arm

??

post-23-13535084232553_thumb.jpg

post-23-13535084232553_thumb.jpg

It could easily be the dryer sheets, especially if they are scented. In fact, if this started in the last four months, I'd lay money that this is exactly what it is. You are not using them on her batch of clothes, but just using the dryer sheets means there are scent, irritants, etc left in the dryer, just waiting to pounce like the little hive ninjas that they are. Also, if she's particularly sensitive to something in them, just hugging dad, leaning on him, etc can be enough. Laundry products are the absolute worst! fyi, hives on the back often flare at night because you have a constant pressure/rubbing on the back that you don't have during the day.

I don't know that I would take her to the doctor if Benadryl does the trick. He's very likely to say, When it flares up, give her Benadryl, *g*. It is VERY hard to pin down what causes hives, and it is often a combination of things. You could do an allergy panel and still have little to no idea.

With recurring hives, you often need to do the Benadryl 24/7 for several days, EVEN WHEN SYMPTOMS ARE NOT PRESENT. This decreases the chance of them recurring; when we don't do this, it's like the sensitivity level goes down just enough for the hives to go away, but they are lurking just below the surface, waiting for any minor irritant to bring them back to life. So, don't just dose her until they go away; continue giving it for about three days, around the clock. If you time it so that she gets a dose right at bedtime, you don't need to wake her up for one (unless she has active hives).

So, no dryer sheets, or different ones. Wipe down the dryer with a damp cloth if you do use them, and leave the door open. Air dry her pj's, try different ones, or let her go without (less rubbing). Reduce as many potential irritants as you can: no scented soap, preferably no scented ANYTHING, limit food dyes and processed foods, reduce baths and showers to the bare minimum needed for non-stinkiness. She should limit what touches her back, particularly what rubs her back: don't wear a backpack or carry a purse, don't give piggyback rides, don't lean on the nubby sofa to watch a movie.

• 2 weeks later...
It could easily be the dryer sheets, especially if they are scented. In fact, if this started in the last four months, I'd lay money that this is exactly what it is. You are not using them on her batch of clothes, but just using the dryer sheets means there are scent, irritants, etc left in the dryer, just waiting to pounce like the little hive ninjas that they are. Also, if she's particularly sensitive to something in them, just hugging dad, leaning on him, etc can be enough. Laundry products are the absolute worst! fyi, hives on the back often flare at night because you have a constant pressure/rubbing on the back that you don't have during the day.

I don't know that I would take her to the doctor if Benadryl does the trick. He's very likely to say, When it flares up, give her Benadryl, *g*. It is VERY hard to pin down what causes hives, and it is often a combination of things. You could do an allergy panel and still have little to no idea.

With recurring hives, you often need to do the Benadryl 24/7 for several days, EVEN WHEN SYMPTOMS ARE NOT PRESENT. This decreases the chance of them recurring; when we don't do this, it's like the sensitivity level goes down just enough for the hives to go away, but they are lurking just below the surface, waiting for any minor irritant to bring them back to life. So, don't just dose her until they go away; continue giving it for about three days, around the clock. If you time it so that she gets a dose right at bedtime, you don't need to wake her up for one (unless she has active hives).

So, no dryer sheets, or different ones. Wipe down the dryer with a damp cloth if you do use them, and leave the door open. Air dry her pj's, try different ones, or let her go without (less rubbing). Reduce as many potential irritants as you can: no scented soap, preferably no scented ANYTHING, limit food dyes and processed foods, reduce baths and showers to the bare minimum needed for non-stinkiness. She should limit what touches her back, particularly what rubs her back: don't wear a backpack or carry a purse, don't give piggyback rides, don't lean on the nubby sofa to watch a movie.

Wow! Thank you. :) I took her to the dr. and she said to give her Zyrtec/Benadryl for 30 days even with no symptoms. It will give her calm her system down. She wants to do allergy testing if after the 30 days it has not improved. I wasn't sure about that course of action but if you are also saying it, I will continue. It has been almost a week of full-time zyrtec.

Wow! Thank you. :) I took her to the dr. and she said to give her Zyrtec/Benadryl for 30 days even with no symptoms. It will give her calm her system down. She wants to do allergy testing if after the 30 days it has not improved. I wasn't sure about that course of action but if you are also saying it, I will continue. It has been almost a week of full-time zyrtec.

Well, I can't say that I've ever done Benadryl for a full MONTH, just 4 to 7 days AFTER symptoms disappear. I'm not sure we could do it 24/7 for that long, we'd probably fall into a coma, lol! But if it doesn't drag her down, it might be do-able. If it does, maybe do a full week 24/7 and then Benadryl at night? Oh, and did I mention that you should use the dye-free Benadryl? We found out the hard way that Benadryl with dye used 24/7 actually makes the problem worse :glare:.

Being hyper-vigilant about possible irritants at the same time will help with calming her system down. It's not the best time of year to avoid processed foods, but try. Lotion, soaps, etc should be fragrance free, no perfume, no candles, no air fresheners, and try to clean with simple non-toxic products like Simple Green. Aerosol products of any kind can be a trigger. The irritants linger forEVER, so no spray furniture polish, deodorant, etc. When you really look at what you do on a daily basis, the list is long!