Menu

If a child is flying with a grandparent...

would the parent need to provide some sort of note granting the grandparent permission? MIL told us she'd like to take DD to a ballet in Washington DC in February & she wants to fly down. I know when we flew with the kids in October they were asked who we were to make sure they actually were our kids. Are they going to let DD get on a plane with her grandmother?

I'm sorry if it's a dumb question. We rarely fly & I really don't know what the procedure for something like this would be.

My children have never needed any kind of written permission to fly with their grandmother, and three have flown internationally with just their grandmother. In fact, when my ds13 (then 12) went to China with his gymnastics team, no one ever asked for the written permission he did have with him then. He had his passport and nothing seemed "off" to the TSA worker asking basic "where are you going and why" questions to the children, so no one ever asked for documentation of any kind of permission to travel. My ds13 has also met his grandmother at travel meets, actually accompanied by another, entirely unrelated, family on the plane without difficulty. For better or worse, ime, no one seems to question an apparently accompanied minor very much at all if they have a bought and paid for in advance airline ticket showing them as accompanied by some adult and know where they are going and why.

I know when we flew with the kids in October they were asked who we were to make sure they actually were our kids.

I find it funny that this counts as an investigation. Who would answer, "No, I'm not his mom, I'm a kidnapper" ?

If you are planning to have them stay with a relative, I'd provide a note authorizing them to be in charge of medical treatment as well just in case.

AND I would make sure that both you and his father sign the note!

Probably it will not be an issue, however, I have a friend who was stopped at the Canadian border while traveling in a car with her son. She was not allowed to cross the border b/c she couldn't prove that she had permission from her son's father to take him out of the country.

Better safe than sorry!!

Anne

I find it funny that this counts as an investigation. Who would answer, "No, I'm not his mom, I'm a kidnapper" ?

If you are planning to have them stay with a relative, I'd provide a note authorizing them to be in charge of medical treatment as well just in case.

No, they asked the kids, "Can you tell me who this is?" about us -- to make sure the kids verbalized that we were their parents.

Thank you for the advice about authorizing medical treatment. I hadn't thought of that!

AND I would make sure that both you and his father sign the note!

Probably it will not be an issue, however, I have a friend who was stopped at the Canadian border while traveling in a car with her son. She was not allowed to cross the border b/c she couldn't prove that she had permission from her son's father to take him out of the country.

Better safe than sorry!!

Anne

I'm planning on it. I think we'll also have it notarized at the bank just so the signatures are legit. Anyone can forge a note.

would the parent need to provide some sort of note granting the grandparent permission? MIL told us she'd like to take DD to a ballet in Washington DC in February & she wants to fly down. I know when we flew with the kids in October they were asked who we were to make sure they actually were our kids. Are they going to let DD get on a plane with her grandmother?

I'm sorry if it's a dumb question. We rarely fly & I really don't know what the procedure for something like this would be.

When my oldest two flew with their grandparents to DC from CA we included a permission to fly form like this: http://www.free-legal-document.com/parental-travel-consent-form.html

We also included a permission to authorize health care if they were injured. They were with my mom for two weeks and flew each way. This was important to me. I don't know that it was *necessary* but IMHO, it saved any hassle/trouble they might have run into.

Better safe than sorry, I say. I am a widow, and my last name is different that my childrens'. When I travel internationally, I bring copies of their birth certificates, my birth certificate, & dh's death certificate which lists me as his wife at time of death.

I do not bother bringing this documentation when traveling in the country.

I have never been asked for documentation, but I have been asked if I had some. (When I entered the UK 4 years ago, the passport control guy asked a lot of questions of me & my children. Not sure why. But he was very polite and made it seem like a conversation to my kids.)

The older my girls get, the fewer questions I get.