Menu

Santa Claus and Communion

Would Santa serving communion bother you?  

1. 1. Would Santa serving communion bother you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

Well, since I'm Catholic, and Catholics should have great reverence for the Eucharist, I would find that odd - in fact, quite odd. Our Eucharistic Ministers are instructed to dress properly, so I can't believe I would ever see that, at least, in my parish. Yes, it would bother me.

I know it bothered me when our Episcopal priest (back when I was both Christian and attending an Episcopal church;)) would hand out foil-wrapped chocolate eggs from the rail during Eucharist at Easter. Too much mixing of metaphors, I suppose (which sounds odd coming from someone who's been UU for about 13 years ;)).

So, IMO (when I was within that faith), in a liturgical church, it would definitely be inappropriate, though those who do things like clown communion would likely not agree. In a more "low-church" style of service, well, it seems like most anything goes at some of the churches (rock bands, movie clips, etc), so I wouldn't be surprised, though I still would not have liked it. Perhaps, like the "kneeling Santa" figures, they are trying to make a more strongly Christian religious connection between the two? Not sure, you'd have to ask those doing it.

It doesn't bother me. Christ invites all to the table.

I apologize in advance if this sounds argumentative, because I really don't mean it to be.

I agree that Christ invites all to the table. (And so it wouldn't bother me in the least if someone in a Santa costume was *taking* communion.)

But I don't see how having Santa *serving* communion connects to Christ inviting all to the table.

ETA: I see I left off the question. Can you explain your answer a bit more? I'd like to understand.

I'd be bothered... Not walk-out-of-church bothered, but more titter-quietly-in-the-back-pew-about-it bothered.

I agree though - Santa is welcome to take communion. Santa in vestments is welcome to serve communion. Santa in a jolly red suit serving communion is weird.

It's just ... beyond ... my realm ... of understanding. Was the bread gluten-free walnut raisin bread too? :D

(That's from another thread!)

We do have gluten free hosts - something that is very new to our parish, but walnuts and raisins? That leaves me speechless.

I would not partake if that happened at any church I was attending.

I've got nothing against Santa. I'm a big big fan of Santa. But I wouldn't be party to any Catholic priest or Eucharist minister dressing as Santa during mass.

Now if were an older hefty jolly bishop saying Mass I might be able to liken him to St. Nicholas

It's just ... beyond ... my realm ... of understanding. Was the bread gluten-free walnut raisin bread too?

(That's from another thread!)

Although I do have to say that our priest often gets mistaken for Santa Claus with his white bushy beard! He says this time of year he'll be ... wherever ... and kids will come up to him and with big eyes ask, "Are you Santa Claus?" To which he'll reply, "No ... but he is a good friend of mine." (Referring to St. Nicholas.) :001_smile:

Thanks for your responses.

The church is not one we attend regularly. No one else seemed to mind, or really even notice that Santa was serving communion. I thought maybe my absolute astonishment and disbelief was out of line with the incident. Let me add that this is non-denominational church that prides themselves on being relaxed.

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in thinking that perhaps serving communion in a Santa suit is ... inappropriate.

In response to a previous post: If Santa had only been receiving communion, I would have been pleased. You are absolutely right, Christ invites all.

Thanks for your responses.

The church is not one we attend regularly. No one else seemed to mind, or really even notice that Santa was serving communion. I thought maybe my absolute astonishment and disbelief was out of line with the incident. Let me add that this is non-denominational church that prides themselves on being relaxed.

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in thinking that perhaps serving communion in a Santa suit is ... inappropriate.

In response to a previous post: If Santa had only been receiving communion, I would have been pleased. You are absolutely right, Christ invites all.

I marked "no" when I first read your post and this even solidifies it for me. I was pretty sure this was a non-denom church so it doesn't bother me.

Now if I believed in transubstantiation...I would be bothered!

Otherwise...go Santa! way to be an upstanding member of the congregation!!!!

Wouldn't bother me. We're Catholic by the way.

At my in-laws' church, Santa comes after the vigil service each year and gives out treats to the kids.

I feel fine with teaching my kids the real meaning of the holiday, but still having fun with the fictional characters and customs as well. The communion, to me, is still the body and blood of Christ no matter who is handing it out and what he/she is dressed like. Christ can overcome all that.

Well, I definitely would have thought it was at least a little weird. Not to mention, accepting communion from "Santa" with a reflective spirit & straight face seems impossible. Will the Easter Bunny be there during Lent???

I saw a sign not too long ago where a church offered breakfast with Santa for $10 a child (assuming it was a fundraiser perhaps??). I thought that was weird too though. So what do I know.

Susan

Honestly, it wouldn't bother me.

Years ago, when we were Lutheran, I was highly offended when a "lay person" gave my DD her First Communion. I felt it should be the pastor who served Communion, especially First Communion.

But you know, the more I left religion, and embraced Christ, the less those things mattered. Jesus didn't say it had to be a specific person, in specific attire, administering the blood and body. He simply said, 'Do this, in Remembrance of ME'.

I once had a Lutheran female pastor tell me that if you're focusing on who is giving you Communion instead of focusing on why you're taking Communion, then you probably shouldn't be taking Communion. I remember being offended at that, but as time goes by, I'm thinking she's right.

Edited by Hockey Mom

I saw a sign not too long ago where a church offered breakfast with Santa for $10 a child (assuming it was a fundraiser perhaps??). I thought that was weird too though. So what do I know.

The parish to which we belonged until we moved in January did this as a way of raising funds to support the RE program. The teens from the Sr. High youth group did the cooking & serving and they roped one of the deacons into dressing up as Santa. That didn't bother me as it was on a Saturday morning in the community center and wasn't in any way connected to the Sunday worship service.

I apologize in advance if this sounds argumentative, because I really don't mean it to be.

I agree that Christ invites all to the table. (And so it wouldn't bother me in the least if someone in a Santa costume was *taking* communion.)

But I don't see how having Santa *serving* communion connects to Christ inviting all to the table.

ETA: I see I left off the question. Can you explain your answer a bit more? I'd like to understand.

Well, when I answered I thought Santa was taking communion. Was there a tie in with the sermon? Was it to make a point? I think it's weird but like Hockeymom said, it really doesn't matter who is serving the communion.

The Yes option isn't worded strongly enough. ;)

I'm extremely liberal theologically. I often describe myself clinging to the far left of Christianity. And this appalls me.

:iagree: Another really "relaxed" Christian here and that doesn't sit well with me at all. To me, being a relaxed or liberal Christian doesn't mean that you get to send weird, mixed messages by mixing the most secular symbol of Christmas with the one of the most solemn religious traditions in Christianity.

The parish to which we belonged until we moved in January did this as a way of raising funds to support the RE program. The teens from the Sr. High youth group did the cooking & serving and they roped one of the deacons into dressing up as Santa. That didn't bother me as it was on a Saturday morning in the community center and wasn't in any way connected to the Sunday worship service.

I understand that. I'm sure this church was doing something very similar. I can still think it's weird though.

Susan

I once had a Lutheran female pastor tell me that if you're focusing on who is giving you Communion instead of focusing on why you're taking Communion, then you probably shouldn't be taking Communion. I remember being offended at that, but as time goes by, I'm thinking she's right.

Normally, I would say that I agree. But, this was SANTA CLAUS. It was hard not to focus. And, again, you are right, I probably shouldn't have been taking communion.