Menu

Ebay sellers

I used to sell a lot on Ebay years ago, but the fees and a bad customer made me run away fast. I have an item I think I can get sell for $100 (I've seen finished actions go even higher, but I think 100 is fine, even on the off chance it would be much more). Does anyone have an idea what my profit would be after fees , paypal etc is all said and done?

Some local has said they would pay me $50, and I wonder if I should just go with it.

Many factors involved:

Is it a "buy it now" listing?

What is the opening bid?

What did you pay for the item in the first place?

How many photos will you put in?

Is it a 7 or 10 day listing?

Are they running a special on reduced of no fees?

Is pay via PayPal (I used to request Money Orders)?

Of the hundred one would normally see between 85 and the low 90 range.

Edited by pqr

My ds and I just sold a bunch of stuff in 9 auctions. I was shocked at how high the fees were - eBay gets 9%, paypal 3% - but we thought it would be worth it. It was - our gross was over $400, net was 12% less. :D So I would say it's definitely worth it for an item that you think will fetch $100.

I sold on ebay some time ago as a way to pay for our homeschool things and I got tired of the fees too. However, if you are listing items that are in demand then it is not so bad. I always allow 20% in my mind to cover paypal, ebay and extra shipping costs (gas if I have to drive into town to the post office, tape, printer costs, etc). So, If I am selling an item that I think will reach $100 as an auction I will expect to gross $80. Now, if you are adding features to your listing (reserve, bold, etc.) then expect it to be more...

I sold on ebay some time ago as a way to pay for our homeschool things and I got tired of the fees too. However, if you are listing items that are in demand then it is not so bad. I always allow 20% in my mind to cover paypal, ebay and extra shipping costs (gas if I have to drive into town to the post office, tape, printer costs, etc). So, If I am selling an item that I think will reach $100 as an auction I will expect to gross $80. Now, if you are adding features to your listing (reserve, bold, etc.) then expect it to be more...

If you're planning on selling now, also keep in mind your time, including a possible long wait in line at the post office.

Also, I'd highly advise adding delivery confirmatation on anything you sell on ebay. It won't guarantee a package will arrive, but it will prove to a seller that you did your job correctly should something go wrong in transit.

Just a thought -- you can get an electronic delivery confirmation number (instead of buying the sticker at the post office for 60c or whatever) by using PayPal or USPS shipping assistant, for 19c. If you ship priority, you can get an online discount and free delivery confirmation. (With USPS shipping assistant, you still have to buy postage, though.)

Some people find it a hassle to list things on the internet or whatever and would prefer the cash in hand. Others don't mind the hoops.

Also if you have homeschool related items, try to sell them somewhere that doesn't charge fees. Like this board or others.

Another thing to think about is which do you want more - to get rid of the item, or to get as much as you can for it? (I know, ideally both, but if you had to make a choice....) There are times I've taken less for something from a local buyer because I'm trying to reduce my clutter. Other times I'll take the trouble to list an item I know is worth more, if I'm not in a hurry to get rid of it or if pains me to sell it for so much less.

Don't forget shipping!!!! Make sure you are including any shipping price, or have the correct amount for shipping listed on there. Include how much a box, tape and gas to get to the PO.

Sometimes I just sell stuff to get rid of it, and after fees, packaging and shipping, I'm lucky if I made something.