Menu

Fun reading/ Cmas present recommendations for 13 yo dd

I have a 13 yo girl who is a voracious reader. I've recently found that she's gotten into some "teen harlequin" books (didn't know there was such a thing) from our library and would like to get her into something more wholesome. We don't mind sci-fi at our house (like Harry Potter, but yet no Twilight), but since I had a problem with being "addicted" reading romances at a young age, I really don't want my daughter headed down that road.

I'd love some ideas of books to get for Christmas as well as how to deal with getting what I feel are inappropriate books from the youth section of our public library.

Thanks for the help,

Angie

How about Jane Austen? Plenty of romance, but a healthier look on it. There's the Bronte sisters too, but Wuthering Heights isn't the best view of romance.

I just read Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. Romance w/o s*x in a re-telling of Sleeping Beauty.

For sci-fi/fantasy--CS Lewis, JRR Tolken come 1st to mind.

(I was the teen who had a collection of at least 100 Barbara Cartland novels, and yet I think I turned out pretty well!)

One recommendation is The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy. It has a romantic element along with a mystery. This seems to be a nice hardback copy.

Regards,

Kareni

I have a 13 yo girl who is a voracious reader. I've recently found that she's gotten into some "teen harlequin" books (didn't know there was such a thing) from our library and would like to get her into something more wholesome. We don't mind sci-fi at our house (like Harry Potter, but yet no Twilight), but since I had a problem with being "addicted" reading romances at a young age, I really don't want my daughter headed down that road.

I'd love some ideas of books to get for Christmas as well as how to deal with getting what I feel are inappropriate books from the youth section of our public library.

Thanks for the help,

Angie

I read lots of Regency romance novels when I was a teen. Now that I'm an adult, I really feel it was time wasted (LOTS of time!) when I could have been reading books that were more edifying.

This might give you some ideas ........ http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

It's one of my favourite book lists! :001_smile:

My mom, sister and I have always loved Georgette Heyer's books. Regency romances, but absolutely no s*x - very witty and engaging. We still reread them occasionally. I don't love all of them though - here's a list of the ones I think are really good:

Frederica, The Grand Sophy, These Old Shades, Black Sheep, Devil's Cub, The Nonesuch, Lady of Quality, The Talisman Ring. (Devil's Cub maybe isn't entirely appropriate for a 13yo)

Certainly wouldn't qualify as high quality literature, but it's not too big a step from these to Jane Austen, and definitely an easier step than from "teen Harlequin", whatever that is :D

And perhaps PG Wodehouse - can't remember at what age I started reading them, but funny, funny, funny!!

Hope that helps

I was going to suggest Georgette Heyer too.

Also fwiw I read a lot of trash at that age, a LOT, but I also read a lot of really good literature. They are not mutually exclusive. I look at it like junk food for the brain, I eat healthy a lot of the time but sometimes I feel like some junk. It's the same with reading, lots of time I like books that make me think, then I go through periods where I can't cope with anything too heavy and read my junk food books for a time. Sometimes I have one of each on the go.

The Mitford series by Jan Karon is wonderful! There are 7 very thick novels so it will take her a while to get thru them.

I haven't read Janette Oak but her novels are definitely wholesome and Christian. Also Francine (Francene?) Rivers who writes historical fiction romances.

We avoid the teen section at the library.

Has she been introduced to Artemis Fowl?

Check him out...I can't believe there is a library out there that doesn't have these books. They are fun and action packed for young teens.

Jean

Oh--and Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Another series of fun for kids (er...for adults, too)!!!!!

Edited by Jean in Wisc

Has she been introduced to Artemis Fowl?

Check him out...I can't believe there is a library out there that doesn't have these books. They are fun and action packed for young teens.

Jean

Oh--and Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Another series of fun for kids (er...for adults, too)!!!!!

Lol, you have got to love a series the author describes as "die hard with fairies". Artemis books are fun.

The Sister's Grimm books are a blast, the Ranger's Apprentice series, the Books of Bayern, The 39 Clues, Alex Rider, what else....

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicolas Flamel series is my new favorite.

Others my 13 year old loves, the Rowan Hood series, Anne of Green Gables, anything by Rick Riordan or Jane Austen.

The whole family are Belgariad fans, Tolkien has his own shelf here. :)

Sherwood Smith's Wren series is cute.