Menu

ISO: Play British Money -- son wants for Christmas present

Go to a local coin store, they frequently have boxes of foreign coins and bills that are sold for very little. You will not find many British Notes as they have a face value that makes them expensive but coins and notes from other nations are fairly cheap.

Also try eBay you may find entire collections of notes for relatively little.

Nathan wants a set of play British money for Christmas.

I found a set on Amazon, but the shipping was $21.

Any other options?

Do you mean current British money or old British money (i.e., shillings, etc)? My eldest two would like old English money. I saw a game several years ago which used old English money; but, I can't remember the name of it right now.

Do you mean current British money or old British money (i.e., shillings, etc)? My eldest two would like old English money. I saw a game several years ago which used old English money; but, I can't remember the name of it right now.

You know, he'd probably like old.

You know, he'd probably like old.

The currency changed during my childhood; children of today don't know how it used to work, so there won't be much call for play sets. The current currency is very similar to the US one: we don't have quarters, and we don't have 'names' for coins (dime, nickel) but it's a base-one-hundred system just like the US one.

FWIW, there used to be twenty shillings in a pound and twelve pennies in a shilling. 'half crowns' were common currency, representing two shillings and sixpence. There were names for small coins: a 'tanner' was sixpence and a 'bob' was a shilling. When we decimalised, we carried on using some of the old coins as the new ones were introduced. A shilling was overnight worth five pence and a half crown was worth ten pence, IIRC. When I had a Saturday job in 1979, I had to be able to translate fluently between old and new money for the old ladies who would come into the bakery.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Wow! Thank you, Laura, for all of the information. I guess I am stuck, then.

The currency changed during my childhood; children of today don't know how it used to work, so there won't be much call for play sets. The current currency is very similar to the US one: we don't have quarters, and we don't have 'names' for coins (dime, nickel) but it's a base-one-hundred system just like the US one.

FWIW, there used to be twenty shillings in a pound and twelve pennies in a shilling. 'half crowns' were common currency, representing two shillings and sixpence. There were names for small coins: a 'tanner' was sixpence and a 'bob' was a shilling. When we decimalised, we carried on using some of the old coins as the new ones were introduced. A shilling was overnight worth five pence and a half crown was worth ten pence, IIRC. When I had a Saturday job in 1979, I had to be able to translate fluently between old and new money for the old ladies who would come into the bakery.

Laura

https://sslrelay.com/catalogue.ichthusresources.co.uk/subjects/mathematics/manipulativesandactivitybooks/britishplasticmoney.html

If 'new' money is acceptable, then how about this? You'd need to email to find out how much postage would be, but they've always been very helpful when I've used http://www.ichthusresources.co.uk

He said modern money is fine.

Laura

https://sslrelay.com/catalogue.ichthusresources.co.uk/subjects/mathematics/manipulativesandactivitybooks/britishplasticmoney.html

If 'new' money is acceptable, then how about this? You'd need to email to find out how much postage would be, but they've always been very helpful when I've used www.ichthusresources.co.uk

Thanks! I love them both.

Edited by nestof3

Thanks! It was only $13.13 shipped here. I ordered last night, and they shipped today. :D

If 'new' money is acceptable, then how about this? You'd need to email to find out how much postage would be, but they've always been very helpful when I've used www.ichthusresources.co.uk