Menu

Need Latin Recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for a Latin curriculum for a 7th grader who has completed all three levels of Latin for Children and one year of Latin Via Ovid. We are looking for something that will continue to reinforce grammar and build vocabulary through reading and translation exercises.

Thanks!

I'm using Henle Latin for myself right now. Year One will review and go into more details for grammar with plenty of translation. Year Two is translating original text from Caesar, St. Augustine and others.

ETA: You can see the Table of Contents on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Latin-1st-Year-Henle/dp/0829410260

Edited by amtmcm

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking at Henle on Amazon right now. I'm also looking at Lingua Latina, so if anyone has any experience with that, I would love to hear about it.

Latin Alive is too much review for this child. He needs more reading in Latin in order to see and understand the grammar and vocabulary in context, if that makes any sense.

Thanks again! :001_smile:

Both of mine did Matin Latin and then went to Helne and are doing great. The Memoria Press guides break it down nicely into daily assignments if you're just starting with Helne I. They have one guide for Units 1-2, and another for Units 3-5 in Helne I. I'm considering signing my oldest up for the Online Memoria class for Units 6 and up in Henle I next year because he's getting beyond my ability to keep up with him.

I've used Lingua Latina as a summer curriculum, and I think that Henle is easier to use for those of us who aren't professional Latin teachers.

Edited by GVA

I'm also looking at Lingua Latina, so if anyone has any experience with that, I would love to hear about it.

I'm using LL for self-study. I *love* it - it is heads and shoulders above other reading texts in how it actually uses the story to *teach* the grammar and vocab, not just to introduce or review. I like that I can review by re-reading, instead of with flashcards and the like; as well, I enjoy the exercises. I'd taken 2 years of Latin in high school, but I couldn't read a simple sentence until I started LL - it really helps you get a feel for the language, right from the start. And it has quite a bit more reading material than most other programs.

As far as teaching goes, the author recommends that parents/teachers are at least 10-15 chapters ahead of their student.

My 7th grader loves Ecce Romani; she is making excellent progress in spite of the fact that I am not any chapters ahead of her, and never will be again, lol.

If I can go o/t. Do you have to teach much? Can it be done as a self study? I bought Cambridge Latin, and while it will work to a point, once she gets into new material we are going to be in trouble. The written work in only reinforcement and comprehension based. All the teaching is done by the teacher (I made it through most of Lively Latin 1) and the TM expects you to get what it is covering and why. It is not written for newbies trying to teach it.

I was wondering if Ecce Romani might be a better fit, or if I need to go to something completely different (grammar based).

Heather

:blush::blush:

If I can go o/t. Do you have to teach much? Can it be done as a self study? I bought Cambridge Latin, and while it will work to a point, once she gets into new material we are going to be in trouble. The written work in only reinforcement and comprehension based. All the teaching is done by the teacher (I made it through most of Lively Latin 1) and the TM expects you to get what it is covering and why. It is not written for newbies trying to teach it.

I was wondering if Ecce Romani might be a better fit, or if I need to go to something completely different (grammar based).

Heather

I don't teach it at all, :blush:. I kid you not when I say I will never be ahead of her again, lol. dd started it last year, 6th grade, after completing LC II. I didn't really teach it then, either, but I was rather more on top of reading over her translations and helping her correct her work. this year, I've pretty much been MIA; she knows where the teacher book is, lol. My main job has been to listen and say a genuine, wow, when she wants to show off her mad translating skillz. she uses the book, does some of the online exercises, and uses byki for memorization. she started french last year, so she rotates new material/review material for each weekly; she did Ecce 1a last year and should finish 1b this year.

in january, I do plan to start recitation back up with her & lil sis (& me, *g*), I definitely think that helps.

I have used Henle and Wheelock's for that age. Both are great depending on what you want.

Henle was great for ds since there wasn't so much vocab thrown at the student at once. Also, if I remember right, many of the translation exercises in the first book had to do with wars and such. Interesting from his point of view.

Dd tends to pick up grammar and vocab much faster than ds did, so I switched to Wheelock's with her. We are pretty much following the 2 yr syllabus from MODG.

Good luck!

Mary