Menu

Homeschooling in Kentucky--what's it like?

Yet another prospective move to do with dh's work. We are currently in PA, so I fugure it can't get harder....

Looks like all I need to do is inform the local school that we are homeshooling and maybe, if I want to, keep a portfolio of work, in case someone decides we aren't schooling enough. Yes? What am I missing? Do they ever actually check? How about hours of instruction--185 days required but only 177 days of instruction--??

We are thinking about moving to the Cincinnati area and would have the choice of OH or KY. I know OH law a little (thanks to the Hive!), and I wonder if KY is easier.

Yet another prospective move to do with dh's work. We are currently in PA, so I fugure it can't get harder....

Looks like all I need to do is inform the local school that we are homeshooling and maybe, if I want to, keep a portfolio of work, in case someone decides we aren't schooling enough. Yes? What am I missing? Do they ever actually check? How about hours of instruction--185 days required but only 177 days of instruction--??

We are thinking about moving to the Cincinnati area and would have the choice of OH or KY. I know OH law a little (thanks to the Hive!), and I wonder if KY is easier.

This is my 2nd year HS in KY (and my last- we're moving to Colorado this Summer) and IMHO its very easy. :) I send a letter of intent each fall, aim for 177 days of instruction and keep a planner & portfolio (for my own sake) and that's it. :) I've never heard of anyone being checked up on- even talking to many friends at co-op who have HS for years. :)

I think its a great idea to live on the KY side of Cinci.... from what I've heard/seen, Cinci has a very active HS community and lots of city amenities (I'm in Lexington and there's very little to do- LOL)

Good luck!

We used to live in NKY. I homeschooled for a couple years there. It was very easy, as another PP has mentioned. There is an active homeschool support group called THINK--Teaching Homes in Northern KY. When we lived there they hosted monthly meetings which included a spelling bee and science fair. Homeschoolers from the northern 6 counties accounted for most of the membership. FYI, it is a Christian group.

As to anyone checking up on you, I'd heard (from one of KY's homeschool pioneers) that it happened once in Kenton County many years ago. Families were asked to bring their "portfolios." Well, families were advised (by the state org) to box up their books and send them in. After the school district received a number of these boxes they sent them back unopened. ;)

Our family loved living in NKY. Cincy is so close by and has much to offer also.

Like the ginormous homeschool conference which started the year after we moved. :glare: And their city parks are the best!

Cinder

No one checks unless the authorities are called in for one reason or another (a report to CPS).

The discrepancy between 185 required days and 177 instructional days is because of mandatory in-service days. You can count teacher prep as in-service. I take several days at the beginning of each semester and count two days off for the homeschool conference as my in-service time.

I *think* all we're required to do is send the letter of intent and keep an attendance record and a record of grades. I don't think a portfolio is even required. We just keep some work samples and leave it at that. I think it's fairly easy, and you'll like it here. It's a very pretty area.