Menu

Federal employees homeschooling in Germany?

My Dh will be retiring from the military in May and there is a small chance he could be chosen for a federal job in Germany. While the thought is exciting...there are numerous concerns, and number one on my list today is homeschooling.

Can anyone tell me if Federal Employees are covered under SOFA (or anything similar?)

Thanks,

My Dh will be retiring from the military in May and there is a small chance he could be chosen for a federal job in Germany. While the thought is exciting...there are numerous concerns, and number one on my list today is homeschooling.

Can anyone tell me if Federal Employees are covered under SOFA (or anything similar?)

Thanks,

General Service (GS) employees are usually covered by the SOFA. There are rare positions that are not (rare). A quick phone call by your husband will answer that question.

Additionally, most "three letter agency" positions are also covered by the SOFA, as are most federally let contract positions. Contract positions with German firms (Siemens, Dalmier-Benz, Bose, etc.) are not.

There is nothing 'similar' to the SOFA. Anyone not covered by the SOFA is not legally allowed to homeschool in Germany.

Some US homeschool groups in Germany do a wink, wink, nudge, nudge kind of thing to members who are not covered by the SOFA, telling them to "stay under the radar" and they will be fine. This is incredibly dangerous, as the German government has the authority to take children out of the home due to German compulsory schooling requirements.

HTH

asta

General Service (GS) employees are usually covered by the SOFA. There are rare positions that are not (rare). A quick phone call by your husband will answer that question.

Additionally, most "three letter agency" positions are also covered by the SOFA, as are most federally let contract positions. Contract positions with German firms (Siemens, Dalmier-Benz, Bose, etc.) are not.

There is nothing 'similar' to the SOFA. Anyone not covered by the SOFA is not legally allowed to homeschool in Germany.

Some US homeschool groups in Germany do a wink, wink, nudge, nudge kind of thing to members who are not covered by the SOFA, telling them to "stay under the radar" and they will be fine. This is incredibly dangerous, as the German government has the authority to take children out of the home due to German compulsory schooling requirements.

HTH

asta

Thank you, Asta!

That was exactly what I needed to know. If he is offered the job it would be a GS position.

Now, we just need to decide if it is something we would want to take. We have been taking classes to do foster/adopt and we should be licensed by Christmas...a job offer to Germany would really put a wrench in things...