Menu

If you arent a Christian...

Patients who know they are being prayed for fare worse. Those who are being prayed for but do not know it have no benefit.

Given that study (and several others like it), I'd rather not have psychological baggage put on my doorstep on top of trying to get better.

It is good that you have the self awareness to know you'd respond to prayer in these sorts of situations as thought it was psychological baggage.

Rosie

What do you think when Christians say they will pray for you?

I don't think it has any effect, but I know that the person is trying to do something for me.

Now if it were on a moral issue (instead of, say, a case of illness or accident) then I would be offended. So if one of my sons became a teen father and a friend said that they would pray for us, I would feel that a judgment was being made.

Laura

I think it is a different situation. Someone praying to a god I don't believe in doesn't hurt me. Something I don't think exists can't hurt me (and if it did exist, I wouldn't attribute hurt to it anyway coz as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't exist!) I'm probably going to word this badly or possibly inaccurately so apologies in advance, but my understanding is that some (or maybe all?) Christians think the gods they don't worship can hurt them. If that's the case, how is an offer to alert a false god or demon or something to their plight going to make them feel better? It's another thing to worry about!

Yes, I think this is the case for some Christians, though I know others who believe God is everywhere and even if I call it something else, it's still God. I.e. intentions matter. But what I find interesting is that the people who are most likely to be offended by a prayer from someone that doesn't believe as they do seem to be the ones most likely to want to pray for someone to 'come around' to their way of thinking. It's like the most easily offended are the ones most likely to do something potentially offensive. Not surprising, just interesting. :)

Peela, loved your post! That is such a beautiful thought, and I appreciate the image you painted for me of that lovely man praying for us all. :goodvibes:

It only bothers me when someone infers they are praying for my soul because I'm doomed to burn in hell for being Pagan. Fortunately I've only experienced this twice! Most of the time it's offered in a very kind and sincere way and it doesn't bother me at all. Sending out a prayer/positive energy into the world for someone you care about is a sweet gesture IMO. I have been known to do the same for many of my friends, regardless of their faith.

It is good that you have the self awareness to know you'd respond to prayer in these sorts of situations as thought it was psychological baggage.

Rosie

I don't, but why on earth would I assume that although numerous studies show that it has a negative effect, I would be any different? It would be irrational to believe that I would be the exception instead of the rule.

I'm not Christian but I pray and know the power of prayer. I may have different concepts about why it works, but I know it does. You are wlecome to pray for me :) May your prayers be returned to you a thousandfold :)

If someone prays for me, I am touched. Actually there are so many thousands of people on this earth right now this very moment praying for us all, praying for peace, praying for our governments to come to their hearts and see clearly and act in integrity, praying for the environment, praying for each other...it is truly beautiful. There are people of all faiths and no faiths praying. I personaly have met one Indian saint who prays al the time- all day and much of the night- for the awakening of the world, for people to come to their hearts and love each other. He is 88 and has been doigng it for the last 50 years. So whether we like it or not- we are all being prayed for, in the most beautiful and sincere way, all the time :) It is a deep spiritual practice for many people to pray for everyone. I love it.

Thank you Peela for this! This is the attitude that we all need to have no matter our religion if we are going to ever come to an understanding of each other. I am somewhat of a humanist and my husband is Muslim. I do believe in prayer myself - but it is more than 'who' you are praying to. For me it is the universal power of prayer and good thoughts. I am not an atheist and can not say how they would feel, but I imagine that they would rather have good thoughts be coming rather than no thoughts at all. I would like to hear opinions on that.

I was raised Christian and I lived first hand the judgmental attitudes of one being better than another because of their beliefs and it just makes me sick to my stomach that people can feel this way. It just defeats our spirit. Also, the Christian thought that I grew up in was manipulative in that someone would be praying that something would happen in anothers life (good or bad) to make them wake up and find Jesus. There was a lot of negativity in this.

Anyway, thank you for making the beautiful post. We are all one :)

It only bothers me when someone infers they are praying for my soul because I'm doomed to burn in hell for being Pagan. Fortunately I've only experienced this twice! Most of the time it's offered in a very kind and sincere way and it doesn't bother me at all. Sending out a prayer/positive energy into the world for someone you care about is a sweet gesture IMO. I have been known to do the same for many of my friends, regardless of their faith.

For Christians, it is the BESTEST thing we can EVER do! :D I am a Christian, and I realize that prayer is the only thing I can do for some of my friends. especially those on here, who are far away. In that same light, if someone says they will light a candle for me, or think good or positive thoughts, I may not know exactly what it means in their world or why they do it, but I know that they are doing their BESTEST for me, and that makes all the difference in the world.

I don't think it has any effect, but I know that the person is trying to do something for me.

Now if it were on a moral issue (instead of, say, a case of illness or accident) then I would be offended. So if one of my sons became a teen father and a friend said that they would pray for us, I would feel that a judgment was being made.

Laura

Laura,

I humbly disagree that a judgment is being made. It is a possibility but it doesn't mean every christian will do so or do it in a mean way.

Moral or not, anyone who is a new parent, be it a married person or a teen, needs patience, energy, etc. parenting involves. Parenting is much more challenging for a teen than for an older more mature parent even with no moral judgment involved. A teen needs all the support and love to take care of the new baby. I would definitely pray for a teen parent even more than for an older parent simply because it is more challenging. I would pray for his energy in caring for the baby, emotional balance and wisdom in making good decisions for himself and the baby. I would offer help like bringing a meal to him or babysitting if the teen parent were someone in my life.

Edited by aomom

My mother became religious later in her life, and I know for a fact (since she tells me lol) that she and her friends pray for us (my family) to find (their) god.

For whatever reason, this does not offend me in the least. Not one little bit. If this makes them feel they are doing the work they are asked, and if they truly worry for me and my family, then what they need to do is pray. What they pray about isn't about me (even if they pray about me), or for me to decide. That might not make sense to others, or maybe it offends Christians...I really don't know.

For me, prayer is personal and your prayers are your own. I can't worry what people pray about. If one finds comfort in prayer, pray away. :001_smile:

BUT... If I'm in trouble or someone is ill or needs help, I'll gladly accept prayers (or white light or happy thoughts or whatever) from anyone. I don't care if they're Christian or Jewish or Buddhist or WHATEVER; I'll appreciate the intention and hope it works!

When it's said with love (expressed during a stressful time in my life, during a crisis or time of uncertainty, etc.) I appreciate it. When it's said with the obvious tinge of "because that's the only way you're going to get any mercy, sinner," I just roll my eyes.

This and this.

Grrrr! Reading about your experience makes my blood boil. Please keep on praying for people; we need each others' prayers. My faithful Catholic mom's very closest and dearest friend was a faithful and devoted LDS woman. About three times a week, Mary (mom's friend) would ride her bike down the block to visit mom, and they would sit at the table: my mom with her strong, black tea, and Mary with her Postum. Anyway, if something wasn't right, she would give Mary a call and ask her to pray. In return, Mary was frequently asking my mom for prayers. One time I was talking to Mary about her dd who had been in a car accident, and she told me it was all okay - after all she had my mom praying about it. :001_smile:

I'm sorry for the experience you had. It was shameful. Your prayers are always welcome.

:grouphug: No worries, I've had lots of good experiences too. And this is by far NOT the weirdest thing someone has said to me regarding my religion. This just came to mind due to the subject of the thread. :)