Menu

WWYD with a $22 roll of ground beef that was left in the car overnight?

My dh brought the beef home from the store yesterday in the late afternoon and forgot it. It was discovered at noon today. It was in the low thirties last night and low forties this morning. Would you eat it? It doesn't have a strong smell and it's shrink wrapped. My dh insists that since it's completely sealed, no bacteria can get in.

Yikes! $22 is a lot of money. I would open it up and give it a good sniff test -- not just the outside of the roll, but open it up and do a good sniff test. If it smelled funny AT ALL, then I wouldn't use it, but if it seems normal, then I'd cook it up right away and freeze the cooked meat.

I'd use it given the overnight temps. I think my fridge is around 40 degrees.

I might be tempted to cook it up today and put some of the cooked beef in the freezer for later meals or something.

-crystal

Same here. I'd smell it, cook it, and eat it. In that order.

The idea that it's sealed and therefore without bacteria, though, is false. The bacteria is already in the meat. It's just that it doesn't multiply to dangerous levels in certain temperatures.

My husband did something similar once. I threw out some of it, but cooked and ate the rest. It was fine.

It may have been 30s/40s outside the car -- but what was it inside? I know in the sun, the car heats up to FAR more than outside temperatures. If it was forgotten until noon and the sun came out, the temperature inside could well have been far warmer.

I'm a if-in-doubt throw it out and I'd toss it. ESPECIALLY with ground beef.

My dh brought the beef home from the store yesterday in the late afternoon and forgot it. It was discovered at noon today. It was in the low thirties last night and low forties this morning. Would you eat it? It doesn't have a strong smell and it's shrink wrapped. My dh insists that since it's completely sealed, no bacteria can get in.

Given the angle of the sun this time of year, unless the roll of meat was in direct, constant sun through the car window, thus warm to the touch when you found it in the car.....I'd use it today - cook it all up (meatloafs, chili, whatever) so that it is fully well done (reaching a temp of 170-180 minimum in the cooking process) and freeze whatever won't be eaten in the next day or two for meals another time. The higher temperature will kill bacteria (if any is there - and it's there anyway unless it's irridated).

I would sniff it, cook up a small portion, and then taste it myself. If it tastes okay, I'd cook the entire thing & freeze whatever I wasn't going to use today.

I also wouldn't serve it to my toddler since food poisoning is more serious at her age. It is unpleasant at any age, but much more likely to require a trip to the ER at 23 months than at 5, 8, or 30something.

Guest momk2000

I would definitely have to throw it out. I know $22 is a lot of money to lose on groceries, but it's just not worth the chance of the family getting sick.

Make burgers for an AWANA meeting? Just kidding!

:lol:

Eh, what color is it this morning?

Given the angle of the sun this time of year, unless the roll of meat was in direct, constant sun through the car window, thus warm to the touch when you found it in the car.....I'd use it today - cook it all up (meatloafs, chili, whatever) so that it is fully well done (reaching a temp of 170-180 minimum in the cooking process) and freeze whatever won't be eaten in the next day or two for meals another time. The higher temperature will kill bacteria (if any is there - and it's there anyway unless it's irridated).

I think this has the makings of an interesting math or science word problem.

DH who is certified in food safety and works in the food industry says that it should be fine and that personally he would still use it. He said most refrigerators run around 36 degrees, so that around and below 40 is a safe zone. With that in mind he says that it should be cooked really well. Hope that helps some.

Lesley

If it was low 40's as the high, I would eat it. Refrigerators are supposed to be 40 degrees, but many people's are higher and they don't even know it. The shrink wrap doesn't keep the bacteria out--they are already in there. The cold keeps them from multiplying.

it was still pretty cool when dh brought it inside and it looked ok and smelled ok so I decided to try browning it. We had sloppy Joes for dinner. It's been three hours since and we're still feeling fine:)

We're in the Midwest and there was no direct sunlight yet on the car until noonish.

Hope I'm still glad I didn't throw it out by tmw after seeing how we feel by then.

I'd be curious to see if those who say 'eat it' come from cold states and those who say 'toss it' from the South..

I would eat it without batting an eye. It's the same temp as my fridge, and I know my car doesn't heat up under those outside temperatures.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I am in Alabama and the thought of cooking it sends shivers up my spine. But, its usually 70 degrees here most of the winter. Although we have had a couple of frosty mornings lately. I am sure everything will be just fine.

My metric--I would very happily pay someone $22 to make the illness disappear should anyone get sick. Since I would be happy paying the $22 bucks to make it go away, then it is worth it to me to chuck it. I knew that if I started barfing my brains out, saving $22 wouldn't be worth it to me without even thinking about it.