Menu

Do I want a Kindle or Nook?

I want to download all the FREE books to read myself and for our school time

I want access to internet to read stuff online (is this possible with either or both?)

Can I read blogs with either of these? There are times I would like to be able to read lengthy things online in a more comfortable spot that in my computer chair.

Sounds like either would work for you. The main difference between Kindle and everyone else right now is that you can't put library books on a Kindle easily. If you don't care about library books, then it doesn't really matter which eInk device you get.

Web browsing isn't a great experience on any eInk device, so it doesn't matter if you get a Kindle or Nook. It's certainly possible, but not convenient since eInk takes a long time to display a web page in comparison to an LCD screen.

If web browsing is important for this device, maybe an iPad? I wanted a device for reading exclusively and after handling the Kindle, Nook, and Kobo, I chose the Kobo. I can get library books on it, which was an important factor for me, and I liked the way it felt in my hands better than the other two.

If you want internet access, look for a tablet instead of a dedicated e-reader.

Apple's iPad is the most popular tablet on the market right now, but there are others too.

To get you started, here are links to tablet reviews on PC Mag's website: link.

Edited to add: DH just got me an iPad, but I'd been planning to hold out until Blackberry's PlayBook is released before deciding which tablet to buy.

Edited by jplain