Menu

Tai Chi and Yoga questions

We, as a family, started Tai Chi classes 5 weeks ago. I know I should probably ask the instructor this, but he is a bit unapproachable. So I thought I'd ask here. Can anyone recommend a good Tai Chi book, video or other media?

I would dearly love to alternate Tai Chi with yoga, but I can't afford lessons for both. The Wii Fit yoga is okay, but seems to take forever to do. So again, can anyone recommend a good yoga book, video(s) or other media?

TIA

I don't do Tai Chi, my folks do, but I can't remember which video they have. I know they have 2, one is put out by Gaiam. They thought it was good to learn on.

For yoga, I learned using Yoga Journal's Step into Yoga. I have 1 and 2, I never needed 3. They were good to learn with and I bought the videos for $5 each on ebay. I think you can download them for that price from Amazon or itunes.

I also used www.yogatoday.com They have a different free class each week. The instructors are very good, but sometimes the free class is advanced. You can also join their group for around $10 a month and have access to all of their classes. That might be a good option for a little while. I thought they did an excellent job in explaining the poses and helping you get into them properly. I still consider those 3 women my first teachers. :001_smile: I don't subscribe to their site, but I have bought several classes from them. You can download them for 3.99.

I have videos by Shiva Rea and Brian Kest. I don't care for his video, it feels like a infomercial, but it is a good sequence. I like Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti, but I don't think it's beginner friendly.

YogaJournal sells other DVDs besides the into ones, you might want to check out their site and see if there is anything you might like.

I don't do Tai Chi, my folks do, but I can't remember which video they have. I know they have 2, one is put out by Gaiam. They thought it was good to learn on.

For yoga, I learned using Yoga Journal's Step into Yoga. I have 1 and 2, I never needed 3. They were good to learn with and I bought the videos for $5 each on ebay. I think you can download them for that price from Amazon or itunes.

I also used www.yogatoday.com They have a different free class each week. The instructors are very good, but sometimes the free class is advanced. You can also join their group for around $10 a month and have access to all of their classes. That might be a good option for a little while. I thought they did an excellent job in explaining the poses and helping you get into them properly. I still consider those 3 women my first teachers. :001_smile: I don't subscribe to their site, but I have bought several classes from them. You can download them for 3.99.

I have videos by Shiva Rea and Brian Kest. I don't care for his video, it feels like a infomercial, but it is a good sequence. I like Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti, but I don't think it's beginner friendly.

YogaJournal sells other DVDs besides the into ones, you might want to check out their site and see if there is anything you might like.

Thank you.