Menu

Reviews of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

<plugging my ears singing LALALALALALALALLALALALALALALALALALALALALA>

We're not seeing it til tomorrow morning, first thing, and I don't want to see or hear reviews :D I just want to see it, unscathed. I even stopped reading the narnia fan forum because I just didn't want to see all the reviews and opinions lol

It's bad enough that I know they made a few big changes to story.

I'll come back and read tomorrow :D :lol::lol::lol:

We just got home. Thought it was FANTASTIC! But, I haven't read the books myself and dd is just now in book 2. I do understand from a kid we were with that there were some changes but I can't speak to that. It was a beautiful movie, really lovely and all the redemptive themes were there.

We did not see it in 3D. There is a kind of scary sea monster that I imagine would have been VERY scary for my 6yo if in 3D. I don't think we missed anything.

Highly recommended!

We just got home. Thought it was FANTASTIC! But, I haven't read the books myself and dd is just now in book 2. I do understand from a kid we were with that there were some changes but I can't speak to that. It was a beautiful movie, really lovely and all the redemptive themes were there.

We did not see it in 3D. There is a kind of scary sea monster that I imagine would have been VERY scary for my 6yo if in 3D. I don't think we missed anything.

Highly recommended!

Amy, did they keep the Dark Island in the movie?

(It's the island where dreams come true--all dreams, including nightmares. It's even scary in the book, and I skipped that part when reading it to dd(6).)

***SPOILERS***

My dh and two oldest children saw it this morning at the midnight showing. I just asked dd about the island where dreams come true and she said that it is in there. She said it's a strong theme in the movie because that's where they're headed but they have to defeat all of the evil that is coming from that island (but they have to defeat the evil within themselves first).

All 3 liked the movie, though ds (8yo) thought it was kinda scary. He said that he would have preferred to see it at home on a regular tv screen than on the big screen.

We loved it!!

However, it was like they took the book and shook it up. Wherever the storyline landed after they were done shaking it, that's the storyline they used for the movie. :tongue_smilie:

The movie does not AT ALL follow the storyline of the book.

Yes. But it is NOT at all how it is described in the book. And it does not appear in the movie in the place that it does in the book.

But it was still fantastic. Something about seeing Aslan on film, coming to life, is so very sweet.

We got to see a special advance screening last night, and we all loved it. Yes, it is a little different from the book, but (1) Reepicheep still plays a central role, and he's my favorite non-human character in all of the Narnia books; and (2) I felt that the main themes were still very much intact. My 7 yo thought the sea monster was scary, but as it wasn't a very realistic monster, it was not too bad. He's not the bravest of souls.

"Unhand the tail!" Love that Reepicheep.

Go see it!

Terri

Eeeek! Tried not to read this before I posted, lol. We're going tomorrow to se e it and I can't wait :) I am disappointed that our only IMAX theater isn't showing it in IMAX 3-D (just regular ol' 3D).

I'm looking forward to it...the boy who portrays Eustace looks like he does a superb job!

Saw it last week with dh and loved it. We didn't go to the 3D and that was fine but I think the water scene at the beginning would have been amazing in 3D.

Great movie. Loved Eustace- thought he was a wonderful character.

I didnt remember it being much like the book but its been a few years since I read the book.

Loved it!! Some things of course had to be changed or condensed, but the message was clear, the acting and effects were excelllent, and I cried a little. My dh said it was his favorite of the three films. My 14yo son loved it, too.

Probably too intense for little ones, though, especially in 3D.

Wendi

Very well done. As we just finished the book last week we were able to talk about the changes in the movie - most of them no big deal but I wish they'd kept the original dragon chapter the same (one of lords became dragon, Eustace falls asleep on treasure and becomes dragon, etc.). I also wish the scene where Aslan tears the dragon skin off of Eustace then throws him into the pool had remained true to the book as that is (imo) a very deep and significant detail of the story. But then our favorite thing about the entire series is finding Biblical parallels so any being left out is a disappointment.

My kids are hoping The Magician's Nephew will be made next.

(It's the island where dreams come true--all dreams, including nightmares. It's even scary in the book, and I skipped that part when reading it to dd(6).)

So I see you have had your question answered. Yes the island is there, but I guess not where it appears in the book.

I also LOVED Eustace!!! Where they found that kid with his snobby British scowly face. What a great little actor!!! And to see him transform into someone you love by the end...priceless.

Everyone go see this movie. I feel like it sends a message to Hollywood that we want more QUALITY movies for our kids!

I also wish the scene where Aslan tears the dragon skin off of Eustace then throws him into the pool had remained true to the book as that is (imo) a very deep and significant detail of the story.

What?! That part isn't in there? I always got chills when I read that part. It's the only part of the book I absolutely adore. I mean, THAT is what the book is about, to me: Eustace being unable to change himself and Aslan doing it for him. Guess that's too religious for a movie.

Garga ~feeling a bit miffed now.

Just got back from seeing it.

It was pretty good. Not sure if I think it was the best. Disappointed me at how jumbled it all was. ANd I agree with Garga.... the part about Aslan ripping the dragon hide off of him was actually a let down. THat was also my favorite part of the book and I was looking forward to it....not what I expected. I do however like that they kept the part at the end where Aslan tells Lucy that "in her world he is known by another name..."

I think because the book was full of so much action it was hard to actually have a thoughtful moving storyline and fit it all in so in some spots I felt it was just jumping from action to action...

Loved Eustace!! He was just amazing. Great actor. We all thought he was the best!

What?! That part isn't in there? I always got chills when I read that part. It's the only part of the book I absolutely adore. I mean, THAT is what the book is about, to me: Eustace being unable to change himself and Aslan doing it for him. Guess that's too religious for a movie.

Garga ~feeling a bit miffed now.

***SPOILER***

The scene is in the movie, but different. Aslan claws at the sand with his paw, and rips appear in the dragon's skin (the rips are like light). No pool, though. But it is clear that Eustace cannot do it himself (he is seen trying), and that only Aslan can help him.

Wendi

Where they found that kid with his snobby British scowly face. What a great little actor!!! And to see him transform into someone you love by the end...priceless.

The kid with the snobby, scowly face- he was in Son of Rambo - and he is an amazing little actor, I think. That face - it's right out of Dr Seuss (in a good and interesting way)! Apparently he is 17 years old. I wouldn't have guessed it...

http://www.amazon.com/Son-Rambow-Bill-Milner/dp/B001BL96Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292047140&sr=8-1

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2401020/

Loved it! I took my Narnia-crazed teenagers with me, who know the book very well and follow the reviews, and they loved it as well. Without giving much away, their analysis was that the main themes were there, but much of the plot was nothing like the book. There were some aspects of the plot of which I didn't feel they ever gave an explanation, so I hoped they could give some clarity with their recent study. They couldn't either, but they did say they believe they took a few themes or ideas from the Silver Chair to enhance the plot. (?) They plan to reread that Silver Chair and see if that clarifies anything, or if they just threw in some random things for the sake of drama.

The effects were amazing!

Eustace is a total prat!

He was bad in the book, but worse on the big screen.

Will Poulter does an excellant job of capturing the charcter and bringing him to life.

Tilda Swinton is back as the big bad White Witch.

If you pay close attention to the movie hints are given about "The Silver Chair."

I think the storyline was weak and the screenwriter should have spent more time on developing it.

Special effects were fantastic, but the movie lacks the "magical" elements of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe which drew you into the storyline/movie.

Edited by kalphs

Not a review, per se, but. . . .

Dd18 went to see it last night with her friends. She called once it was over and said, "Oh, MOM! It was AWESOME! I don't care, I'm paying, we're ALL going to see it THIS WEEK! Together!"

That's all I know.

I can't wait.

Your daughter is awesome to do this for her family!

***SPOILER***

The scene is in the movie, but different. Aslan claws at the sand with his paw, and rips appear in the dragon's skin (the rips are like light). No pool, though. But it is clear that Eustace cannot do it himself (he is seen trying), and that only Aslan can help him.

Wendi

Oh, thank goodness that the theme stays in there. I loved that part of the book.

Garga ~ feeling mollified

I want to say I loved it...but I liked it a whole lot! It's my favorite book of the series, essentially for Reepicheep's quest, so I had a whole lot of expectations going into it, and I doubt they could've met them all.

I know other posters have said it, but I haven't read through til I post my thoughts. They hit all the islands, but they shake up the story line in order to make it more 'theatrical', because it really isn't a theatrical book. There are new characters that really are only there to add a little tie-up story line, but don't hurt the story at all. Eustace's character is drawn out mostly because they couldn't do his internal dialogue as a dragon, and they needed him to be a hero, and more action, so it's not unplausible the way they do it.

I'm so thankful Doug Gresham was there as a producer, else I'm afraid it might have REALLY gone off track.

As we were talking after, the boys were pointing out things that were different, so that was good for us. DH kept saying, "Admit it, you were hoping they'd show a little peek of Aslan's Country, didn't you." A shy me had to say yes, but I would've hated the film if they had.

It's been set up for #4, but from reading a few of the industry notes in Narnia Fans, the box office is not living up to their hopes...which, in projected numbers, means the weekend isn't going to be as big as they'd hoped. Which means that if the #'s aren't big, Fox isn't going to do another movie.

So if you're a BIG fan and plan on seeing it, try to see it tomorrow!!!

***SPOILER***

Wendi

Eustace even says it later...it hurt, but it was a good hurt (but they didn't do the scab equation lol). And I couldn't do it, but He had to do it for me. The dunking in the water is a visual that would be pretty specific to religious folks, I think, so they left it out for sake of the way they worked the storyline, but it would've definitely been a great visual to leave in. But the central theme is there..this is not something Eustace could do to save himself, it had to be done by Aslan...and not too many lines later, you'll know me in your world by another name.

I heard a little "Jesus" half-whispered behind me by a youngling, and had a big grin on my face :)

Well, it's officially #1 for the weekend, but only grossing about $24Million, which is a pretty weak outcome. It's up to about $105M now, worldwide, but they spent $150M on it. I know DVD sales will greatly bump it up, but it worries me about whether Fox decides to make the next one.

It's just sad because so much could be done Last Battle and Magician's Nephew... :(

But I've noticed that they seem to really try to play down the Christian aspects of these as much as possible....

This is the same industry that gave The Scarlet Letter (w/ Demi Moore) and The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney) happily ever after endings.

I have to go into pretty much any movie based on a book with low expectations.

This is the same industry that gave The Scarlet Letter (w/ Demi Moore) and The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney) happily ever after endings.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame! Snort! That was one depressing book. Everybody dies in the end! I wondered how on EARTH they could make it into a Disney cartoon musical. Ridiculous.

'Course the Little Mermaid dies, too, because the prince doesn't love her because she can't talk. (She turns into sea foam.) The wicked step-sisters and step-mother in Cinderella are put to death by rolling them down a hill in barrels with knives stuck in the sides. The prince goes blind in Rapunzel and wanders through a thorny wasteland. Gotta love those fairy tales...

Edited by Garga

I thought it was "okay" . Spoilers follow.

There were some parts that were good. The main characters: Lucy, Edmund, Reepicheep, Eustace, & Caspian were well done and kept in character. But I didn't care for the invention of another storyline. The plot changed while working in scenes from the book. However, the plot line that was added had parts that didn't make sense. I never did get why the green mist took people "as a sacrifice" but then they are all returned safe and sound... that part is very unclear. What were they *doing* while they were captive? We don't know the purpose in any of it.

I have a hard time watching most movies of books I've really loved.

Edited by Laurie4b

I thought it was "okay" . Spoilers follow.

There were some parts that were good. The main characters: Lucy, Edmund, Reepicheep, Eustace, & Caspian were well done and kept in character. But I didn't care for the invention of another storyline. The plot changed while working in scenes from the book. However, the plot line that was added had parts that didn't make sense. I never did get why the green mist took people "as a sacrifice" but then they are all returned safe and sound... that part is very unclear. What were they *doing* while they were captive? We don't know the purpose in any of it.

I have a hard time watching most movies of books I've really loved.

I wonder if they were trying to tie it in with The Silver Chair.

In TSC the Lady of the Green Kirtle aka The White Witch/Jadis kidnapps Rilian, King Caspian's son.

Kidnappings by the green mist aka the White Witch setting the stage for the next movie?