Menu

I want to encourage you who want to get healthy and lose weight!

I have struggled for years with diets. So much so that it didn't matter how many calories I would limit, I would barely lose weight. Well on November 1st I started a new plan that I felt strongly prompted to do, I believe by God.

I started the couch potato to 5K program. It started out really slow with only 1 minute runs, which was good because I could barely do them! I have always hated running actually. LOL

I also started tracking my food on sparkpeople.com For my meals, I just tried to follow the recipes in Eating for Life by Bill Phillips and stay between 1200-1500 calories a day. Not hard to do at all with his plans. I also never let myself become famished because it is all down hill from there usually.

During Thanksgiving, I gave myself a free day and then the next day I was back on my eating plan. When I weighed myself the next day, I still weighed the same.

I also lowered my expectations on how much weight I wanted to lose. I used to expect 5lbs a week but now I aim for 2-3 a week and I keep the attitude 2-3 a week is better than no weight loss or me giving up because I am starving myself.

Today I reached a milestone that I can't believe. I ran for 20 minutes straight! I can't believe it, I am amazed! I have followed the program and pushed myself even when I was exhausted to keep running. I haven't repeated any of the weeks, I have just kept pushing myself. I have always had at least 1 day between each run and I run M-W-F.

The program lasts for 9 weeks and I start week 6 on MOnday. I have been following the podcasts that I downloaded on Itunes from NHS C25K. I love listening to "Laura" encourage me through my runs. The music is pretty good as well.

I am at the point where I am getting tired of the recipes in Eating for Life and yesterday I found an excellent book by Denise Austin with new recipes for me to try that follow the same principles as Eating for Life. Balance~ You get 50% carb, 25% protein and 25% fat with each meal. This plan keeps me full and satisfied and keeps my blood sugar under control.

So far I have lost 10 1/2 pounds. I am 5"8 and I started at 168lbs and now I am 157 1/2. My goal is 135. I know I'll be there by my birthday in Feb. I am so excited. I look a ton different even with this little bit of weight loss.

I would like to encourage you to give it a try. I call this my "fountain of youth" as I noticed I really do look younger.

God Bless,

Michelle

Wow, what a blessing your post is! I've been really struggling myself to get exercising, and it was GREAT to hear about the podcasts. That is really what I need!

Congratulations to you, as well! I have 10 lbs that my last baby didn't nurse off me (5 years ago) that I'd really like to lose. I know it would do wonders for my self image right now.

What is funny is my last baby was 4 1/2 years ago so I really have had no excuse. I can't begin to tell you how much this has been a blessing to me. I want to shout it off the roof tops! LOL

Congratulations - that is wonderful!!

My last baby was 4 1/2 years ago, too. I still have all the baby weight. Thank you for posting this, it is very encouraging.

Where do you run? I see that you are in Ohio - isn't it too cold/snowy outside? I am in WA and can't bear the thought of going outside to run or to do anything really!

I signed up for a C25K program--but never got past week 2. I made myself run the 5K anyway (it was Nov 20), and MAN did I pay for not having trained! A friend and I are committing to some 5Ks next year as incentive to get off our... hindquarters... and lose some Jiggly. Hearing your story energizes me anew.

YOU CAN DO THIS! You are doing fabulous already!!! Keep it up! I second the request to keep us updated.

:hurray:

For those of us who wobble more than we run......

I started the couch to 5 K program too. I've had to take 2 weeks for each week of the program, but I'm still chugging along (week 5 now). And it felt the first week like I was going to die. But it was better the 2nd week, and so on and so on....

It's too icy for me to run outside - I can handle the cold, but am afraid to fall. Someone suggested getting studs put on my running shoes (they really do that here), but that's out of my budget right now. So I'm running on the evil treadmill 3 days a week watching the weather channel.

Congratulations - that is wonderful!!

My last baby was 4 1/2 years ago, too. I still have all the baby weight. Thank you for posting this, it is very encouraging.

Where do you run? I see that you are in Ohio - isn't it too cold/snowy outside? I am in WA and can't bear the thought of going outside to run or to do anything really!

I run at the YMCA on a treadmill but I plan to move it outside in the spring.

Excellente!

I've also started running from 1 min./feel like puking. I can go about 6 mins. then I walk for a min. to catch my breath. I once went for 12 mins. non-stop. 20 mins. is excellent! I have to check out those pod casts. I've never heard of this program. Thanks for the tip and the inspiration.

Another vote for the power of c25k. It rocks!

I heard about couch-to-5k here. . . started 8/31. . .

c25k is hard work, but it is absolutely awesome. It totally works! It was hard from the get go, but each run prepares you for the next one. Day by day, you get stronger. (Especially if you do other aerobic exercise on your off-days, as I do.)

Since my first run 8/31, I have completed couch to 5 k (10/23), then completed bridge to 10k (12/2), and am now just starting training for a half-marathon in April! I've run 10k (6.2 miles) nonstop several times and will run 7 miles tomorrow morning.

I am up to running about 20 miles a week. I have lost 17 lb so far, which puts me back in the healthy BMI range for the first time in a long time.

I exercise almost every day, walking hills or other stuff on my non-running days. My stamina is to the point now that my 70-80 minute runs burn over 800 calories. . . which makes it a mighty lot easier to lose weight!

I am not dieting at all. I am eating a bit more sensibly -- it's not rocket science, lol. I think it is just easier to have control over food when I have gained control over my body. If I can make it run for an hour, I can surely put down the fork when I am full! I love that with burning all these calories, I can still eat a huge austrian chocolate bar (yesterday, mmm), all the yummy stuff I always like. . . along with a normal healthy diet. . . and STILL lose weight. Goodness, I lost a lb over Thanksgiving. . . who does that???!! (I ran about an hour each day over the long weekend, that is why!!)

I sleep great (which is all new for me). When I get a cold, it doesn't last long or get as bad. I am off my reflux meds & asthma meds. I am mcuh calmer & more resilient in the face of stress. All my pants are falling off. (I am going to the outlet next week to buy some smaller ones, as it's been so long since I was wearing my skinny-jeans that I recently threw them all out since they were out of style.) I have fun running with friends. On my non-running days, I have fun walking with friends. When I do walk with friends, it is an easy stroll for me instead of an effort to keep up. I have a new passion and a new hobby. My kids are proud of me. I can run further than any of my skinny&fit kids or husband.

I might not love running all the time I am actually running. Sometimes I like it. Sometimes I hate it. Sometimes I am just neutral.

But, I LOVE the way it makes me feel. LOVE.

I can do anything for 6 hours a week in order to feel awesome the remaining 162 hours of the week.

I am also excitedly losing weight via Weight Watchers right now. :party:

Just be aware, Michelle, unless you have a small frame, 135 would be somewhat underweight for 5'8" according to this chart.

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

It's good to have realistic expectations, so we don't "crash and burn."

Hi!

I am small boned actually and I have weighed 135 for several years after my 1st and 2nd daughters, so I believe it is a healthy weight. Actually I weighed 125 when I was married!

THIS IS AWESOME!!! and I can totally relate. I am not at the point where you are in running, but I am feeling just like you. It is amazing how much it changes you.

In January I am planning on adding in some strength building/toning classes on my off days. That is when the new classes start at they YMCA. Let's keep each other updated!

Another vote for the power of c25k. It rocks!

I heard about couch-to-5k here. . . started 8/31. . .

c25k is hard work, but it is absolutely awesome. It totally works! It was hard from the get go, but each run prepares you for the next one. Day by day, you get stronger. (Especially if you do other aerobic exercise on your off-days, as I do.)

Since my first run 8/31, I have completed couch to 5 k (10/23), then completed bridge to 10k (12/2), and am now just starting training for a half-marathon in April! I've run 10k (6.2 miles) nonstop several times and will run 7 miles tomorrow morning.

I am up to running about 20 miles a week. I have lost 17 lb so far, which puts me back in the healthy BMI range for the first time in a long time.

I exercise almost every day, walking hills or other stuff on my non-running days. My stamina is to the point now that my 70-80 minute runs burn over 800 calories. . . which makes it a mighty lot easier to lose weight!

I am not dieting at all. I am eating a bit more sensibly -- it's not rocket science, lol. I think it is just easier to have control over food when I have gained control over my body. If I can make it run for an hour, I can surely put down the fork when I am full! I love that with burning all these calories, I can still eat a huge austrian chocolate bar (yesterday, mmm), all the yummy stuff I always like. . . along with a normal healthy diet. . . and STILL lose weight. Goodness, I lost a lb over Thanksgiving. . . who does that???!! (I ran about an hour each day over the long weekend, that is why!!)

I sleep great (which is all new for me). When I get a cold, it doesn't last long or get as bad. I am off my reflux meds & asthma meds. I am mcuh calmer & more resilient in the face of stress. All my pants are falling off. (I am going to the outlet next week to buy some smaller ones, as it's been so long since I was wearing my skinny-jeans that I recently threw them all out since they were out of style.) I have fun running with friends. On my non-running days, I have fun walking with friends. When I do walk with friends, it is an easy stroll for me instead of an effort to keep up. I have a new passion and a new hobby. My kids are proud of me. I can run further than any of my skinny&fit kids or husband.

I might not love running all the time I am actually running. Sometimes I like it. Sometimes I hate it. Sometimes I am just neutral.

But, I LOVE the way it makes me feel. LOVE.

I can do anything for 6 hours a week in order to feel awesome the remaining 162 hours of the week.

Hoping it's not a side-track to ask a question. I'm 47, currently walk 5-6miles/week, need to lose 50 lbs and seriously wonder if my knees could take this kind of pounding. It seems like I would need to lose the weight, before stressing my joints by running with an additional 1/2 person on my back. Did you have any difficulty with this?

Thanks for the encouragment. I have a T-tapp trainer coming to show me how to do the exercises properly on Monday!

Hoping it's not a side-track to ask a question. I'm 47, currently walk 5-6miles/week, need to lose 50 lbs and seriously wonder if my knees could take this kind of pounding. It seems like I would need to lose the weight, before stressing my joints by running with an additional 1/2 person on my back. Did you have any difficulty with this?

Thanks for the encouragment. I have a T-tapp trainer coming to show me how to do the exercises properly on Monday!

OK, I am 37, but here is the funny thing. I actually have bad knees. So bad that I have trouble with stairs but I haven't had any problems with running. In fact I feel great and I think the weight loss is helping. I also went out and purchased high quality running shoes and that made all the difference as I started for two weeks before I got the shoes.

Just a side note, I also have T-tapp and started using it before I started running, but I didn't notice the results with that as I have with running.

Hi!

I am small boned actually and I have weighed 135 for several years after my 1st and 2nd daughters, so I believe it is a healthy weight. Actually I weighed 125 when I was married!

:iagree: I'm 5'9", and weighed 118 when I got married. I was teaching a multi-grade classroom and planning my wedding--too much! I weighed 130 when I got pregnant with my first, which seemed fairly healthy.

Now I hover at 160 most of the time. I am not expecting to get back to 130 or 135, but 140 or 145 would be fine with me! Just this week I started eating much more healthfully and exercising (mostly walking) more. I haven't checked to see how much, if any, I've lost, but I feel a lot better! :001_smile:

How much do running shoes cost these days? Or can you start the first weeks with regular shoes? I have been hearing about this through friends on Facebook, and have considered trying -- I really only need to lose about 10 pounds -- but the idea of buy shoes at this juncture of my life is daunting. (My boys have coined the term "low fundage," which we're saying a lot around here.) Well, I also have a rule that I only run when chased. But you're presenting a very convincing case....

Thanks for the encouragement. I have a T-tapp trainer coming to show me how to do the exercises properly on Monday!

Not to discourage--try it and see--becuase I LOVED doing C25K. I felt great, had more energy, etc. But, about week 4 my right knee "gave out." It hurt for a few days. I still feel it acting up a bit when I walk downhill (lots of hills here!). I need to lose about 70 pounds. I decided that I would start walking as fast as I can (not so fast...) and see how my knee takes it. I always refused to run because of how bad it is for your joints, etc. Then silly me realized that bad joints are much better than being overweight and all the health risks involved with that.

I say start it, stay in week 1 or 2 for a bit and see how your knees feel? My husband is much more overweight and had no knee problems doing it. But we stopped for now.....:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Not to discourage--try it and see--becuase I LOVED doing C25K. I felt great, had more energy, etc. But, about week 4 my right knee "gave out." It hurt for a few days. I still feel it acting up a bit when I walk downhill (lots of hills here!). I need to lose about 70 pounds. I decided that I would start walking as fast as I can (not so fast...) and see how my knee takes it. I always refused to run because of how bad it is for your joints, etc. Then silly me realized that bad joints are much better than being overweight and all the health risks involved with that.

This article states that running uphill on a treadmill is easier on the knees. I'm hoping doing this will help my knees so I can actually keep up with a running program.