Menu

S/O: Not permitting McDonald's at children's gatherings?

Bottom line for me:

If I were planning an event with food, and a mother said, "I'm going to bring my kids' lunches," I would say "that's fine" and move on. Not only would I not ask why, I frankly wouldn't care what her reasons were. How is it any skin off my nose if she brings her kids something else to eat?

Live and let live; eat and let eat. :tongue_smilie:

Child: "HEY! How come THEY got Happy Meals???"

Adult: "Because their mother brought them their food today."

Child: "Why didn't MY mother do that?"

Adult: "Ask your mother."

Geez, Louise, this isn't complicated. :tongue_smilie: No one is harmed if people want to eat something different than the rest of the crowd--ESPECIALLY the little children who are "jealous" of the Happy Meal. Big deal. If it were my kids acting jealous, I would give them a quick lecture on quality, health and feeding our bodies what they need rather than just everything that tastes good. I would more than likely assure them that their tummies are thanking them for the nutritionally superior taco salad, and perhaps suggest a short prayer for the children who are ingesting far more chemicals, sugar and fat than any child should ingest on a regular basis. :D

I absolutely agree it's rude behavior. I would not do it. My children are expected to eat what they're served. However, I don't know that I would want to tell other mothers that they couldn't bring their own food. That could be the beginning of a 'food war'.

Yes. I get that. No one wants to be the messenger. Me included.

I do think it's rude tho.

Let's say I invite your [all your and you are general, not specific;)] family for dinner with several other families. Before hand we discuss what kind of meal we all might like. Spagetti? No, you'd have to stop for McD. bean burritos? No, you'd have to stop for McD. Steak and salad? No, you'd have to stop for McD. Chicken enchilada soup? No... Orange chicken with fried rice? No.... Pot roast and veggies? Lamb or pork chops and potatos? No....Taco salad? No...

Wth? If you don't want to eat here, fine. If I can't make a food to suit your tastes or medical condition, fine. How about you have McD and stop by after your dinner?:)

Why go through all that discussion when you know all you want is McD? It doesn't bother me if you do. We can get together before or after.

But yes, if I went through all that trouble to make a meal for several families and you said you wanted to join us and walked in the door with McD - I'd think it incredibly rude. I wouldn't say anything. My kids wouldn't say anything. But we'd be thinking it sure enough.

I think sometimes we forget the same manners should apply outside our homes. Someone(s) helped make a lot of food for a lot of people. If you don't want it. Of course that's fine. But yes, I think it's a bit rude to the cooks to being McD into their dinner.

My former homeschool group asked me to stop bringing Sonic to our weekly park days because then their kids kept wanting some. For awhile they would send one adult out to fetch for everyone else, then that started adding up and they instituted a new rule that nobody could bring fast food and/or drinks to the park day.

My kids and I don't drink sodas or juices, we just like the ice at Sonic. We only ever brought water, albeit in Sonic cups.

We're no longer a part of that homeschool group LOL. I'm in the camp that says sometimes we're put in the uncomfortable position of telling our kids, "oh well! you're not them!" and dealing with the whines that may result. I'm not a believer or proponent in the life is always fair and you always get what somebody else has.

I do think there's a difference between a casual brown-bag gathering, and say - an invite to a party or dinner or something. The latter, it's just rude to bring your own. Eat on the drive over or something, ya know?

Yes. I get that. No one wants to be the messenger. Me included.

I do think it's rude tho.

Let's say I invite your [all your and you are general, not specific;)] family for dinner with several other families. Before hand we discuss what kind of meal we all might like. Spagetti? No, you'd have to stop for McD. bean burritos? No, you'd have to stop for McD. Steak and salad? No, you'd have to stop for McD. Chicken enchilada soup? No... Orange chicken with fried rice? No.... Pot roast and veggies? Lamb or pork chops and potatos? No....Taco salad? No...

Wth? If you don't want to eat here, fine. If I can't make a food to suit your tastes or medical condition, fine. How about you have McD and stop by after your dinner?:)

Why go through all that discussion when you know all you want is McD? It doesn't bother me if you do. We can get together before or after.

But yes, if I went through all that trouble to make a meal for several families and you said you wanted to join us and walked in the door with McD - I'd think it incredibly rude. I wouldn't say anything. My kids wouldn't say anything. But we'd be thinking it sure enough.

I think sometimes we forget the same manners should apply outside our homes. Someone(s) helped make a lot of food for a lot of people. If you don't want it. Of course that's fine. But yes, I think it's a bit rude to the cooks to being McD into their dinner.

:iagree: Every word. Its bad manners unless the kid has FA.

My former homeschool group asked me to stop bringing Sonic to our weekly park days because then their kids kept wanting some. For awhile they would send one adult out to fetch for everyone else, then that started adding up and they instituted a new rule that nobody could bring fast food and/or drinks to the park day.

My kids and I don't drink sodas or juices, we just like the ice at Sonic. We only ever brought water, albeit in Sonic cups.

We're no longer a part of that homeschool group LOL. I'm in the camp that says sometimes we're put in the uncomfortable position of telling our kids, "oh well! you're not them!" and dealing with the whines that may result. I'm not a believer or proponent in the life is always fair and you always get what somebody else has.

I do think there's a difference between a casual brown-bag gathering, and say

- an invite to a party or dinner or something. The latter, it's just rude to bring your own. Eat on the drive over or something, ya know?

Oh geez. Yeah, I wouldn't last in that group either. We love sonic ice! I want one of these sonic type ice makers installed in the kitchen!:D

http://www.hahnappliance.com/products/KitchenAid/kta/kuis15nrtw.html

Nakia mentioned a few times in the previous thread that this was not for a large Awana gathering. A few parents and their kids were getting together to stuff stockings for the Awana kids and decided to have dinner together. Everyone but the one family was OK with taco salads and the other mother said she would bring her kids McDonalds. No one was asked to make special accommodations and it wasn't a huge event. The Mom should be able to bring whatever she wants for her own kids under these circumstances. This was not a big event.

Bottom line for me:

If I were planning an event with food, and a mother said, "I'm going to bring my kids' lunches," I would say "that's fine" and move on. Not only would I not ask why, I frankly wouldn't care what her reasons were. How is it any skin off my nose if she brings her kids something else to eat?

Definitely agree...and truly, I wouldn't find it rude.

Oh geez. Yeah, I wouldn't last in that group either. We love sonic ice! I want one of these sonic type ice makers installed in the kitchen!:D

:D Guess what I just emailed "Santa" -- I had no idea these existed!! I love you!!!

(And I'm embarassed to admit that every day we go to Sonic for a $.44 large water, extra ice. they love us there LOL)

I am surprised that moms are saying a family shouldn't be permitted to bring McDonald's to a gathering because of the effect it would have on the other kids.

How about if the whole thing was a potluck, and everyone else brought either homemade or bags of chips and dips, and one family comes with their fast food bags and eats that in a corner?

If I didn't want to eat other people's food, I'd eat first and come and be social and polite. It seemed so.....rude.

:D Guess what I just emailed "Santa" -- I had no idea these existed!! I love you!!!

(And I'm embarassed to admit that every day we go to Sonic for a $.44 large water, extra ice. they love us there LOL)

I know! We don't have any ice maker at all right now. Just two ice trays that no one ever fills and then everyone is like ice police. How many cubes did you take?! I wanted more than ONE too! MOMMMMMM!

This thing is supposed to make enough for entertaining, so I figure it might be enough for a family of 11. And it is the perfect ice for my bullet or blender too. Much, much better than cubes.

I was watching a backyard remodel show and this fancy house I'll never afford had a "backyard kitchen" in the patio that probably cost more than my house, but it had one of these and I've been fantasying about it ever since.:D

I wonder if the issue could be solved (or at least minimized) if the family brought their McD's in "stealth" containers. Then it wouldn't be that obvious what it was, and would attract less attention.

It wouldn't work with McDonald's food -- I can smell that stuff from halfway across the mall! ;)

Cat

Nakia mentioned a few times in the previous thread that this was not for a large Awana gathering. A few parents and their kids were getting together to stuff stockings for the Awana kids and decided to have dinner together. Everyone but the one family was OK with taco salads and the other mother said she would bring her kids McDonalds. No one was asked to make special accommodations and it wasn't a huge event. The Mom should be able to bring whatever she wants for her own kids under these circumstances. This was not a big event.

Thank you, Jenni, for clarifying! And the ONLY reason I posted was to gain information about why a child might only eat 6 things. I was very unfamiliar with food sensitivities, sensory disorders, etc.

FTR, I don't have a problem with her bringing her kids food. I don't think it's rude, and it's none of my business. My kids probably won't notice what hers are eating. They will be too busy enjoying the taco salad. :D

I think I might be starting to sound like a broken record.

Sorry if I misunderstood the op. But I still feel that as long as everyone is getting something, then it is not anyone else's business what any one particular family brings for their children.

Welcome to the world. Life is not fair. We do not all receive the same measure of anything. IMO, it is much better to teach the children to be content with that which they have, to be tolerant of the behavior/choices of others even when it is different from ours, and to get over that feeling of entitlement to equal treatment or to receive whatever you prefer.

.......But I deal with it and move on, because life is not fair and I have many blessings of my own to enjoy. Why work so hard to deny these children the opportunity to learn these lessons at a young age in a low stress environment?

IMO, it is doing them a significant disservice to promote the perception that life will be fair, that we will all get to have the best or none of us should be permitted to.

:iagree: :iagree: And also the message that Mommy and Daddy control things and will always make things fair because that's what everyone has to have.

I am surprised that moms are saying a family shouldn't be permitted to bring McDonald's to a gathering because of the effect it would have on the other kids.

If your family doesn't eat fast food except on special occasions, couldn't you just say to your kids, "We're not having McDonald's today."

Why would fast food be not permitted because it isn't the majority choice?

:confused:

Because its rude. There is relatively healthy meal being served. To bring junk food is just impolite. A child who wont eat the meal given should not be "rewarded" with junk food in front of other kids who are eating their lettuce. What they do privately is their own business.

But I probably wouldnt make a big deal about it. People are rude all the time, and its generally not personal- its just thoughtless. And you never know what that mother has gone through.

I do think there's a difference between a casual brown-bag gathering, and say - an invite to a party or dinner or something. The latter, it's just rude to bring your own. Eat on the drive over or something, ya know?

Talk to me about Sonic ice and what makes it special. :D

Are they the kind of ice cubes with holes in the middle?

I haven't been to Sonic since I moved back east.

Thank you, Jenni, for clarifying! And the ONLY reason I posted was to gain information about why a child might only eat 6 things. I was very unfamiliar with food sensitivities, sensory disorders, etc.

FTR, I don't have a problem with her bringing her kids food. I don't think it's rude, and it's none of my business. My kids probably won't notice what hers are eating. They will be too busy enjoying the taco salad. :D

I think I might be starting to sound like a broken record.

Nakia,

I know your thread was different than this thread, that's why I did a spin-off. I wasn't trying to put words in yours or anyone's mouth.

Within your thread, there were posters who said it shouldn't be permitted because of the reaction of the other children and I just wanted some more discussion.

I hope there are no hard feelings.

:grouphug:

Nakia,

I know your thread was different than this thread, that's why I did a spin-off. I wasn't trying to put words in yours or anyone's mouth.

Within your thread, there were posters who said it shouldn't be permitted because of the reaction of the other children and I just wanted some more discussion.

I hope there are no hard feelings.

:grouphug:

Not at all! Since my name was brought up, I thought I should clarify my position.

It's not crushed ice, but it's not cubes either. It's dime sized nuggets that are just the right density for chewing without chipping teeth or getting brain freeze. Perfect size for just melting in your mouth. They are filtered, so they are clear and don't have that metal taste so often in frozen cloudy tap water ice. They are the perfect ice for using in blending. With cubes there's always a hunk that just doesn't get crushed up, kwim? And yet they don't have that near instant melt factor of the cubes with holes in them.

Who knew entire segments of society could wax poetic about ice?

Dh says it's a woman thing. Every woman he knows loves sonic ice and all their men are left shaking their head in bewilderment.:tongue_smilie:

Bottom line for me:

Child: "HEY! How come THEY got Happy Meals???"

Adult: "Because their mother brought them their food today."

Child: "Why didn't MY mother do that?"

Adult: "Ask your mother."

:iagree:

It is wonderful ice....:iagree:

It's not crushed ice, but it's not cubes either. It's dime sized nuggets that are just the right density for chewing without chipping teeth or getting brain freeze. Perfect size for just melting in your mouth. They are filtered, so they are clear and don't have that metal taste so often in frozen cloudy tap water ice. They are the perfect ice for using in blending. With cubes there's always a hunk that just doesn't get crushed up, kwim? And yet they don't have that near instant melt factor of the cubes with holes in them.

Who knew entire segments of society could wax poetic about ice?

Dh says it's a woman thing. Every woman he knows loves sonic ice and all their men are left shaking their head in bewilderment.:tongue_smilie:

The issue at hand is not a small gathering. Awana groups tend to be rather large and this meal is a get-together for the entire group. Most parents will not be there and that leaves then this issue to be explained by the staff. It's not that the family needs to bring other food it's that they want to bring McDonald's to a large gathering of kids and leaving a handful of church workers to explain..."Hey they are getting McD's and you are getting taco salad." Additionally, then if the children complain to their parents that they didn't get McD's but some others did, the workers then have to explain to each set of parents that there were food issues going on and that this particular family needed to bring their own and decided it would be fast food.

It's a real, major hassle because in most children's program events such as these, the vast majority of the parents are not there and so you have all of this explaining to do to the kids and then you do it all over again with some of the parents afterward. Fast food is just such a huge draw to so many children....huge...unfortunately, so it does complicate matters in a way that bringing a homemade dish and just saying, so and so needs special food, would be. The kids aren't so drawn to someone else's homemade meal the way they are to some's McDonald's bag. Sad state of our culture, I know!

It would be better for the parent to say to her child, "Hey if you really want to attend this event, you should know that they are going to serve X food. So, since you don't like X, why don't you eat a snack before we go and I will take you to McD's after the event. This way we don't have to explain to all of the kids why they have to eat X."

I understand that not everyone sees it this way but I've worked in children's ministries in the past and I truly understand the staff side of the issue. Our ds has a heart condition and when he was little and dh and I worked all three hours at a very large church, snacks were offered to the children whose parents were working the all of those services. But, because of ds's condition and the fact that we were being very, very careful what he ate, how he exercised, what level or heart rate he got up to etc. he could usually never partake of the snack (always, always chock full of hydrogenated oil which the cardiologist said ds had absolutely no safe level of consumption of) and many times the kids played in the chuch gym. I didn't expect the staff to monitor his heart rate while he played so he we had him come to my class. They also had to put an end to my bringing his own snack because inevitably, the other kids would want what he had and I couldn't afford to bring enough for 100 kids every Sunday! We had a lot of special needs kids in that group, children from foster and Whaley's children's center, etc. and his getting special treatment created a real problem. So, he had to stay with us. Bummer for him...but we've always taught the kids that sometimes life is a bummer and you just have to deal with it. You can't expect the world to accomodate your every need.

Faith

I think it is wrong they stopped allowing you to meet your child's medical needs:( I have a ds with severe food allergies and I always have to bring food for him to eat so that he can partake and not be left out. I don't bring McDonald's for sure, but I do bring something for him as similar to the events foods as possible (which is not always possible). He is also a picky eater but not in the same way as the kids who like McDonald's food. I think other parents and children should be taught to tolerate special needs IMHO. I also do not think it is too accommodating to allow parents to meet their kid's special needs. I think too accommodating would be expecting the menu to be changed just for your child.

I forgot to add that I always stick around and volunteer especially because of ds's food allergies. I also volunteer to bring in food as well.

Edited by priscilla

I don't understand why so many functions HAVE to involve food anyway. I think we're starting to live too fast if we can't eat our dinner at home' date=' but that's just my own personal issue brought forth from having an allergic child. When I started having to deal with my child's allergies I really noticed how much food is emphasized in our culture. It's almost impossible to find a function that does not involve food somehow- and it is usually "treats" that can't really be called "treats" because the kids get them all the time.

So I say forget the McDonalds- let's just stop bringing food at all, LOL![/quote']

:iagree: Amen:) My pet peeve is birthday parties at schools and other food events which really are not necessary and contribute to obesity:(. When I was growing up they never had birthday parties at school, ever. It is really hard on the food allergic child even when you provide an alternative cupcake or whatnot IMHO.

:iagree: Amen:) My pet peeve is birthday parties at schools and other food events which really are not necessary and contribute to obesity:(. When I was growing up they never had birthday parties at school, ever. It is really hard on the food allergic child even when you provide an alternative cupcake or whatnot IMHO.

I went to elementary school in the 1970s, and we always had cupcakes or some treat on birthdays. The moms usually brought them at snack time or lunch. Up through 4th grade. It was suddenly not cool in 5th grade (last grade of elementary school where I lived). Back then, you didn't have all these food allergies we have now, or at least that weren't known. I don't think every event has to have food but birthdays are special. And yes, I do know what it's like to have a child with a food allergy. My older ds was allergic to wheat, corn, soy and peanuts when he was younger. As is typical, he outgrew all of them, even the peanuts (not as typical to outgrow). We were constantly providing our own special treat, and introduced many children to those treats on his birthday.

The issue at hand is not a small gathering. Awana groups tend to be rather large and this meal is a get-together for the entire group. Most parents will not be there and that leaves then this issue to be explained by the staff. It's not that the family needs to bring other food it's that they want to bring McDonald's to a large gathering of kids and leaving a handful of church workers to explain..."Hey they are getting McD's and you are getting taco salad." Additionally, then if the children complain to their parents that they didn't get McD's but some others did, the workers then have to explain to each set of parents that there were food issues going on and that this particular family needed to bring their own and decided it would be fast food.

It's a real, major hassle because in most children's program events such as these, the vast majority of the parents are not there and so you have all of this explaining to do to the kids and then you do it all over again with some of the parents afterward. Fast food is just such a huge draw to so many children....huge...unfortunately, so it does complicate matters in a way that bringing a homemade dish and just saying, so and so needs special food, would be. The kids aren't so drawn to someone else's homemade meal the way they are to some's McDonald's bag. Sad state of our culture, I know!

It would be better for the parent to say to her child, "Hey if you really want to attend this event, you should know that they are going to serve X food. So, since you don't like X, why don't you eat a snack before we go and I will take you to McD's after the event. This way we don't have to explain to all of the kids why they have to eat X."

I understand that not everyone sees it this way but I've worked in children's ministries in the past and I truly understand the staff side of the issue. Our ds has a heart condition and when he was little and dh and I worked all three hours at a very large church, snacks were offered to the children whose parents were working the all of those services. But, because of ds's condition and the fact that we were being very, very careful what he ate, how he exercised, what level or heart rate he got up to etc. he could usually never partake of the snack (always, always chock full of hydrogenated oil which the cardiologist said ds had absolutely no safe level of consumption of) and many times the kids played in the chuch gym. I didn't expect the staff to monitor his heart rate while he played so he we had him come to my class. They also had to put an end to my bringing his own snack because inevitably, the other kids would want what he had and I couldn't afford to bring enough for 100 kids every Sunday! We had a lot of special needs kids in that group, children from foster and Whaley's children's center, etc. and his getting special treatment created a real problem. So, he had to stay with us. Bummer for him...but we've always taught the kids that sometimes life is a bummer and you just have to deal with it. You can't expect the world to accomodate your every need.

Faith

I didn't read the other thread & I've not read past this post. I totally agree we shouldn't be the food police. That's definitely intrusive and unacceptable. However, if the situation is an AWANA dinner, than I totally agree with Faith, that outside food shouldn't be permitted unless allergies exist (or the family is vegan/vegetarian, etc). My kids attend church events where food is served, and I can't imagine substituting it with Mcdonalds.

Susan

I know! We don't have any ice maker at all right now. Just two ice trays that no one ever fills and then everyone is like ice police. How many cubes did you take?! I wanted more than ONE too! MOMMMMMM!

This thing is supposed to make enough for entertaining, so I figure it might be enough for a family of 11. And it is the perfect ice for my bullet or blender too. Much, much better than cubes.

I was watching a backyard remodel show and this fancy house I'll never afford had a "backyard kitchen" in the patio that probably cost more than my house, but it had one of these and I've been fantasying about it ever since.:D

:lol: We are a stubborn family. We don't have an ice maker, either, and the trays never get filled up ... so we just go without. (Hence, the regular trips to Sonic!)

The trays stayed empty in the freezer (everyone trying to act like they weren't the one to notice it was empty LOL) before my mom finally threw them in the donate pile. I remember it was several months because we must have been going into fall where we didn't need the ice so much, and then we do our big donation purge in late winter for lunar new year.

I discovered Sonic when I was pregnant with my daughter, and craved ice for the first time ever. Previously, I would get so upset with my husband because he was always (noisily!) chewing ice - nevermind the damage it was doing to his teeth, you know? The man was an ice connoisseur, and knew I'd love Sonic ice. He was right. I've been drinking it for years now.

The ice is just melt in your mouth perfection, neither too. Great to suck on, to chew, or - as Martha suggests - to use in smoothies. Just the right size, too. I need my daily bath (to decompress) and I take it super hot. I always bring a good book and a large Sonic water with extra ice. It helps keep me cool. My kids will open the door to see "how much longer??!" and they know the answer without even asking because it just depends on how much ice I have left in my cup LOL.

Seriously. Get you some. Good stuffs.

I am chuckling that people think food and gatherings was invented and/or perpetrated by Americans.

My inlaws always thought Americans were rather skimpy with the food at parties. Turkey? Where's the beef? The pork? The chicken? What, no fish? You call one cake dessert?

Has anyone ever seen an old world granny offer food to her grandchildren?

:lol:

Can someone please post a picture of this ice with some kind of reference item (ie a ruler)?

Never heard of Sonic. I don't think we have those.

Pictures

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XGCT1Zb45jg/SkqFXl8V5kI/AAAAAAAAAro/-tl4Y2ISfPg/s400/sonic+ice.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ItkYpHU4sWQ/SuD8tGOj7HI/AAAAAAAAAHw/5H7mKrFfiTs/s400/sonic+ice.jpg

All of you folks craving ice-have you checked to see if you have anemia? It might be worth looking at. (Sonic does have good ice, but seriously craving it could be something to look into.)

Yes, been anemic my entire life, so I knew that before I ever craved it.

Edited by Martha
Edited bc I read the wrong user name and have never met this person IRL! And now feel like an idiot. Lol

In that mom's shoes, I might not make the choice to provide McD's, but I can't judge her for it. With newly diagnosed type I diabetes, it can be really hard to figure out insulin needs. If she feels she's got a handle on how to dose insulin for a Happy Meal, who am I to ask her to go outside her comfort zone at a drop-off event? Remember that eating ahead of time may not be possible with the child's current insulin regimen.

This. I just don't get how people can be insisting it's rude in this instance.

The child not eating at the right time, or eating something his Mom isn't completely confident in calculating insulin for, could cause issues for him, very quickly and while his Mom isn't there. Much better to serve something at the right time, and that Mom is familiar with the insulin needs for. If they were at home she could serve something different and deal with the insulin as needed, but Mom won't be there to do that.

This poor kid is adjusting to a new (and complicated to start with) life of insulin dependence, I think it would be rude not to make allowances for this, or to insist that he don't come until he has eaten. And as for the brother, well in my house, just the fact that one was getting MickeyD's would mean the other did too. ;)

This is probally going to sound really harsh but, I am so tired of people who just don't care about others feelings. It is rude, ill mannered and a whole lot of other things I can't write. No I have no right to tell you what to feed your kids but I should be able to expect that another adult use simple common manners when around other kids. I mean we really do live in a world where common sense, manners and mostly respect has died it is all about what right do I have? How badly can I treat you if you even have the nerve to tell me me or my kid don't act right. I would not smoke around your kid if you don't want me too, I would not ever dream of handing my kid an ice cream in front of yours.. etc WHY?? I have manners that is why. My kids have manners (most of the time). Does anyone even know what manners are used for? Here let me remind you-Good manners are simply knowing how to behave in a way that doesn't make the people around you uncomfortable. That is all I am gonna say after a bad night arguing with my teenage daughter :) Tomorrow I will most likely feel as if I was rude and insulting but that is tomorrow Tonight I feel I had a say in the really crappy world I seem to live in.

I went to elementary school in the 1970s, and we always had cupcakes or some treat on birthdays. The moms usually brought them at snack time or lunch. Up through 4th grade. It was suddenly not cool in 5th grade (last grade of elementary school where I lived). Back then, you didn't have all these food allergies we have now, or at least that weren't known. I don't think every event has to have food but birthdays are special. And yes, I do know what it's like to have a child with a food allergy. My older ds was allergic to wheat, corn, soy and peanuts when he was younger. As is typical, he outgrew all of them, even the peanuts (not as typical to outgrow). We were constantly providing our own special treat, and introduced many children to those treats on his birthday.

I grew up in the 1960s and my dh grew up in the 60s and 70s and both of us did not experience birthday parties in school at all. I agree birthdays are special but I believe they can be adequately celebrated at home IMHO. I think it is disruptive to school and hard on kids who cannot partake IMHO.

I am chuckling that people think food and gatherings was invented and/or perpetrated by Americans.

My inlaws always thought Americans were rather skimpy with the food at parties. Turkey? Where's the beef? The pork? The chicken? What, no fish? You call one cake dessert?

Has anyone ever seen an old world granny offer food to her grandchildren?

:lol:

:iagree: I agree with food at parties and what not. OTOH I think snacks and goodies have been introduced into many activities unnecessarily even when such activity is short and not a party. For example, at scouts once a month, they have all of the parents bring in snacks which are usually junk food to a den meeting which only lasts 1 hour and 15 minutes which takes place after supper. Volunteers at ds's school often bring in dessert type snacks for the kids despite the fact that they already have a scheduled snack and lunch brought from home. MY dh and I are struggling with obesity and it does worry me about too much junk food:(.

Edited by priscilla

I grew up in the 1960s and my dh grew up in the 60s and 70s and both of us did not experience birthday parties in school at all. I agree birthdays are special but I believe they can be adequately celebrated at home IMHO. I think it is disruptive to school and hard on kids who cannot partake IMHO.

I agree.

Same goes for food at work all the time.

Food is everywhere, and that's true wherever there is enough food. My experiences in Europe and in Mexico tell me food is brought and offerred at all manner of gatherings, just as in the states.

When I was a little girl, Girl Scouts met after dinner, in those days, that was 6... but we always had popcorn or graham crackers & juice at the meetings. None of us were chubby then; we were extremely active, and my mother was not one to give us junk food. We envied those kids who got Captain Crunch. :001_smile:

:iagree: I agree with food at parties and what not. OTOH I think snacks and goodies have been introduced into many activities unnecessarily even when such activity is short and not a party. For example, at scouts once a month, they have all of the parents bring in snacks which are usually junk food to a den meeting which only lasts 1 hour and 15 minutes which takes place after supper. Volunteers at ds's school often bring in dessert type snacks for the kids despite the fact that they already have a scheduled snack and lunch brought from home. MY dh and I are struggling with obesity and it does worry me about too much junk food:(.

Well it's a good opportunity for kids to practice resisting McDonald's food, if nothing else. A valuable adult skill! You never know what's going to bother someone else. My 6th grader just got braces, and his ortho says "no soda." So no sodas it is, no matter what gathering we're at. In these first couple months it has bothered him to watch other kids drink it when he knows he can't have it, but it's something he'll deal with and get used to. Can't imagine asking other people "not to drink it in front of him."

It isn't a politeness issue, it's one of getting kids used to dealing with the realities of life, which is everyone eats different things, everyone drinks different things, and just "wanting" something because someone else has it may be normal but can't always be indulged.

:D

My goodness, it's no one's business if I bring fast food to a gathering.

Although, I did judge the mom who put coke into her 6 month old baby's bottle. The baby was crying and the mom went to the concession stand and bought coke. She put coke in the bottle and gave it to the baby. Why didn't she buy water to put in the bottle?

That's entirely different than giving a 7 yr old Mcdonald's lunch, IMO. Mainly because the baby's diet depends on what comes out of that bottle. That's where all the nutrients come from. And the whole tooth decay thing. And I always laugh, becuase that mom will be pulling her hair out when the baby won't go to sleep or is super fussy, because it can't get up and run off all that caffeine!

Sure, it's adequate to just have it at home, but it sure does make the birthday child feel special at school. When I taught preschool, it was not disruptive to have cupcakes at snack time, or at lunch. And there are ways to include the child who can not have the treat. Again, I did it for my own, I would have never asked that they stop letting kids have their special time just because mine couldn't have the same treat. I just sent in a nice alternative that my child could have, no problem.