Menu

TN homeschoolers and public school sports

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/dec/09/home-schoolers-eligible-to-play-for-tssaa-teams/

Here is some news. The student will have to be registered with the LEA and show certain academic progress and coursework. It looks like it is subject to the principal's approval.

This is big for my family. My son plays baseball and we already register with the LEA. Our district is homeschool friendly and I don't anticipate any trouble getting principal's approval.

It would mean the child has to register through the local school, which does require a lot more hoops to jump through, including subject specific testing. But it will be a huge gain for a lot of kids, if they live in an area that would be open is homeschoolers.

The law is certainly confusing but my understanding, from discussions with a homeschooling friend who is also an attorney, is that the law is written to require the gateway exams in 9th grade only. My plan has been to register with LEA (which I have done for 8 years) all along so I've looked at the hoops before and have planned on managing them.

I don't claim to be an expert on the law, at all, but I have looked at this quite a bit and it looks like the hoops the TSSAA is requiring are much more than what the LEA requires. Not unmanageable if it is important to your kid, though.

As always, freedoms will be compromised, but it seems like a door opening for some kids.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/dec/09/home-schoolers-eligible-to-play-for-tssaa-teams/

Here is some news. The student will have to be registered with the LEA and show certain academic progress and coursework. It looks like it is subject to the principal's approval.

This is big for my family. My son plays baseball and we already register with the LEA. Our district is homeschool friendly and I don't anticipate any trouble getting principal's approval.

I hope it works out well for your family.

:grouphug: