Menu

another s/o the s*x thread, puberty of the opposite s*x

So, you know I have all girls. I have absolutely no idea what I need to tell them about boys and puberty. To be honest, I'm pretty ignorant about the subject myself, and my husband isn't to fond of the idea of helping me talk to them about it or answer their questions. He is weird and doesn't even want to talk to me about it. ;) I grew up with brothers, but I had no idea what was going on with them during puberty except that they started stinking. Anna knows all about periods, puberty (for girls) and s*x, but she hasn't asked about the changes boys go through. We are still talking a lot about what she can expect to happen to her body over the next few years. I know I probably need to mention something about boys. I don't know. I'm rambling. Any ideas?

Unless you have a man you can totally trust to talk to your children, you'll have to rely on books. Maybe get a couple of good ones aimed at boys, then read them by yourself and decide what's necessary / desirable to discuss with your daughter. I'm not sure that she needs to know the ins and outs of erections and wet dreams and so forth yet, but if she has male friends approaching puberty, it could be worth covering the emotional side of it for both sexes. From what I remember of s*x education, it seemed to be very focused on the physical aspects and neglect to talk about feelings, moods, etc. and how it's common to be insecure about your development and yourself generally.

Edited by Hotdrink

I like using books to help kids understand these types of things, as well.

Also, I have told my oldest dd (when she was about 13) about what it is like to be a teenage boy. (My husband gave me a good understanding of this, as I obviously have no personal experience.) There were many things that I wish I had known about boys as a teenage girl, but I was very ignorant of the male side of things.

When dd made mention of aspects of puberty that were embarrassing I told her that boys had embarrassing stuff going on, too: spontaneous erections, 'morning wood', wet dreams, etc.

I did that partly to educate her about the opposite sex, but also to let her know that we all have those things going on at that time of life and....we live through it. :)

I gave her The Care and Keeping of You book from American Girl to get her started on basics of puberty and body changes for girls, after we talked about it together. I just remembered I also picked up What's Happening to My Body: Book for Girls at a yard sale last summer. It is more in depth, and has a whole chapter on male puberty. I just skimmed it, and it looks pretty good. I think that part can definitely wait for a few years unless she starts asking. Thanks for the book recommendation! Why didn't I think of that? LOL

I don't know if this is an issue now, but it is important to inform girls as to how guys think. My dd was astonished that a guy might be interested in , say, looking up her skirt or down her blouse. And we 've had to let her know that how she dresses will influence the way guys think about her.

Girls send messages to guys...sometimes intentionally, sometimes not, usually because they are naive about the effect their behavior and dress has on a guy. That is why God gave them parents!

My dh and I joke about this. I give him a long hug and say "mmm...isn't this cozy. I feel so safe and secure" and he goes "mmmm...boobies pressing against me!" :)

I think the book "So you want to be a teenager" (? Rainey )has a chapter for boys and one for girls, dealt with in a very appropriate and biblical manner.

I don't know if this is an issue now, but it is important to inform girls as to how guys think. My dd was astonished that a guy might be interested in , say, looking up her skirt or down her blouse. And we 've had to let her know that how she dresses will influence the way guys think about her.

Girls send messages to guys...sometimes intentionally, sometimes not, usually because they are naive about the effect their behavior and dress has on a guy. That is why God gave them parents!

My dh and I joke about this. I give him a long hug and say "mmm...isn't this cozy. I feel so safe and secure" and he goes "mmmm...boobies pressing against me!" :)

I think the book "So you want to be a teenager" (? Rainey )has a chapter for boys and one for girls, dealt with in a very appropriate and biblical manner.

:lol: This is part of what I have covered with my teenage dd so she has the information that I was lacking when I was a teenage girl.