Menu

OPGTR- what level of readers is it good for?

mnemom

My dd(5) is already quite a good reader. She is independently reading second grade books, such as Magic Tree House. Despite my best efforts, she was never interested in learning to read using explicit phonics techniques. I guess she is more of a sight reader, but uses her own phonics system for figuring out words.

I am wondering if it would be useful to do OPGTR with her, or if she is beyond this. Would she just get frustrated, thinking it is too basic? Or is there value in her working on this?

My first grader reads around a 4th grade level, and was reading 2nd grade level in K like your DD. He also taught himself and didn't really know a lot of phonics. I started OPGTR with him around lesson 41, breezing through it, and he actually did 10 lessons in one sitting of his own choice. There is definitely plenty to learn in there. Now I told him going in that the words we'd read in the beginning would be very easy, but that we were learning the phonics rules. He understood that and had no problem with it. There are plenty of big words toward the end that he'll enjoy learning. ;)

I'm really glad he's learning phonics now. Some of the words he's encountering now require sounding out, and his very basic starfall based phonics aren't cutting it. Also, the phonics are helping his spelling greatly. So whether you do OPGTR or something else, do teach phonics. Now is a better time than 4th or 5th grade.

I use OPGTR with DD11 and DD9 remedially, and started from the beginning with DS5. They're bright kids, just behind (my fault). With my older ones I use it as a basis to work through all the phonics rules, because I think it's important that they know them. DD9, in particular, just picked up reading alone, and her way of learning was to memorise a huge number of words without knowing why they sound as they do, which is not helping her reading now.

JME... and I think your DD would benefit from something like OPGTR, if you are flexible in how you teach it and treat it largely as review, until you get to the later lessons with much longer words.

JME... and I think your DD would benefit from something like OPGTR, if you are flexible in how you teach it

:iagree: For my oldest, I do NOT go through the scripted lesson. I just tell him about the phonics rule we're learning, then have him read some words and/or sentences using that rule. I don't even completely use the script with my 4 year old who is around lesson 29 (very early CVC words). For him, I use a white board and AAS letter tiles. I just use the letter tiles for the words that are in the book, and I write the sentences on the board.

I just tell him about the phonics rule we're learning, then have him read some words and/or sentences using that rule.

My ds is reading somewhere between 1st & 3rd, and we've had success using this same method. I try to change up the way we work on the words. We've laced the letters, written on a white board and used other letter manipulatives interspersed with just plain reading the lists.

If you wanted her to have a good review of phonics rules, the R&S Phonics workbooks are really good.

I agree that if she already knows how to read well, she'll just be bored with OPG. Though I love OPG for when they are learning how to read. I'm currently using OPG for my dd4.99 as her reading lessons. I'm using R&S phonics 1 with my dd6.5 who knows how to read well (4th grade level). I plan on having her do phonics 2 next year as well, just to get those rules down pat.

My dd(5) is already quite a good reader. She is independently reading second grade books, such as Magic Tree House. Despite my best efforts, she was never interested in learning to read using explicit phonics techniques. I guess she is more of a sight reader, but uses her own phonics system for figuring out words.

I am wondering if it would be useful to do OPGTR with her, or if she is beyond this. Would she just get frustrated, thinking it is too basic? Or is there value in her working on this?

I used OPG for my son who was reading at age five at the same level as your daughter. What I found was that he was getting stuck at "fourth grade slump" when he would try to read longer books, he was frustrated by the new length of the words that he was unfamiliar with. He had taught himself to sight read and had NO experience with sounding out words.

OPG was invaluable for teaching him how to deal with very long words that were not in his vocabulary. He was able to jump from about second grade reading level to high school level by the time he finished OPG. It might not work for everyone, but it certainly was good for my precocious reader.

My first grader reads around a 4th grade level, and was reading 2nd grade level in K like your DD. He also taught himself and didn't really know a lot of phonics. I started OPGTR with him around lesson 41, breezing through it, and he actually did 10 lessons in one sitting of his own choice. There is definitely plenty to learn in there.

:iagree:I did the same thing last year with my first grade dd. I wanted to make sure she didn't have gaps, even though she was reading far about her grade level. She had had a year of basic phonics in K (private), but hadn't gone beyond single letter sounds. I'm now really glad we went through OPG. Like other posters have said, we would often do several lessons in a day.