Menu

A little LoF funny....

wapiti

DS7 took LoF Fractions with him to school today for his.... book report :lol:

I hope the teacher doesn't freak out. He didn't get it pre-approved, but hey, it's a chapter book, as she had requested. Too bad he refuses to do the actual math. He just loves reading it. Just had to share.... :)

No news yet. He hasn't done the presentation yet (he made a posterboard with pics of Fred ;)). At this point, I doubt she's going to say anything. If his paper comes back with any interesting comments, I'll let you all know! (All I can remember from the book report itself is something about marshmallows)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally ds got his book report back - with the assigment to re-do it with more detail.

Tell me what y'all think of this grading "rubric" (sorry, I hate that word - makes it sound less subjective than it actually is):

Author and Illustrator (here I neglected to have him name the author as the illustrator - my bad)

Main Characters

Setting

Problem or Conflict

Solution

Favorite Part or Recommendation

Oral Presentation

Complete Sentences (here he got a 2 out of 5, in accordance with the rubric, not because he wrote incomplete sentences but because they were too simple/not interesting enough)

Spelling and Grammer (yay he got 5)

Punctuation

Paragraph Structure & Organization

Length & Details (got a 5 here too but she wrote that he needs more details)

Penmanship

Punctuality

Does anyone know how common this is for second grade - a book report assignment with this sort of grading rubric? I'm not thrilled about it, to say the least. But I've calmed down a bit. If I were homeschooling him, I would not assign this at this point in time, so as long as he manages to "pass" it I'm not particularly worried about it. I refuse to do any word-for-word suggestions for him, and fortunately he's a fairly spontaneous writer. I'm just going to point out places where he might add stuff. I'm having a bit of a cart-before-the-horse feeling about it. Plus I get plain annoyed when I have to play a teaching role for an assignment that I would not have given - I don't need additional work that won't necessarily teach him anything.

Ok I'll stop now - my brain is all tapped out (first day of hs-ing dd9 :D)

That sounds rediculous for a 2nd grader IMHO (unless this is a gifted class or something)! I would say 4th-6th grade. Is this expected of the entire class, or is the teacher expecting the same level of LA that the math in the book implies?

No I don't think she's looked much at the math book, though ds didn't tell me about what went on in class. He is, shall we say, reserved - and he got a bad grade on the oral part because he wasn't loud enough. The classroom includes grades 1-3. I think the first graders were required to do something too, but I can't be sure what (that sort of defies common sense). I wonder what the other reports, of the typical kids, looked like.

It's just one of those minor things I'll try to let go. The biggest downside was the look on ds7's face when he handed me the report - he was obviously upset and worried. I assured him that I'd help him fix it up just fine and that I really liked the report (I did). There are advantages to his current school situation, so I don't think it's something worth rocking the boat about at this time (relatively flexible montessori classroom).

Edited by wapiti

Finally ds got his book report back - with the assigment to re-do it with more detail.

Tell me what y'all think of this grading "rubric" (sorry, I hate that word - makes it sound less subjective than it actually is):

Ok I'll stop now - my brain is all tapped out (first day of hs-ing dd9 :D)

I think that rubric is beyond gr 2, unless a child is gifted in that area. Even then it could greatly dampen enthusiasm. However, if I were in your shoes I'd help teach my dc and try to let it go.

Author and Illustrator (here I neglected to have him name the author as the illustrator - my bad)

Main Characters

Setting

Problem or Conflict

Solution

Favorite Part or Recommendation

Oral Presentation

Complete Sentences (here he got a 2 out of 5, in accordance with the rubric, not because he wrote incomplete sentences but because they were too simple/not interesting enough)

Spelling and Grammar (yay he got 5)

Punctuation

Paragraph Structure & Organization

Length & Details (got a 5 here too but she wrote that he needs more details)

Penmanship

Punctuality

That is *not* a standard rubric for 2nd grade (even a 2nd grade considered to be accelerated).

I don't have a 2nd grade book report (mainly because at that grade, 2nd graders are usually expected to give the title of the book, the name of the author and tell basically what the book was about, and what they liked or did not like about the book.

I do have our 3rd grade outline for a book report/review (and this is considered a moderately accelerated 3rd grade class).

Introduction (title, author, try to catch the reader's attention)

Body (Summary of the book, with events in order in which they happened -- beginning, middle, end --, each paragraph only have one main idea (with interesting details and examples)

Conclusion (why I liked the book, why someone else should read the book)

Spelling/Punctuation/grammar (degree of interference with understanding of what is written, words they *should* know how to spell, spelled correctly, or words they have copied from the book, )

Organization (appropriate transitions are used, makes sense as you move from intro to body to conclusions)

Penmanship (degree of legibility)

And *always* the younger grades were given a report "cover sheet" for them to list appropriate information, as steps to build a report... Essentially a pre-written, fill-in-the-blank worksheet that the student would fill out, and then build their report from that.

If your 2nd grader wasn't given the first part of that "rubric" BEFORE writing the report... the grading is baseless. It's like asking someone to multiply before they've learned the concept of addition.