Menu

Books for Christmas Presents

We have a very limited budget for Christmas this year. We are thinking of books for the nieces. Most of them are in school or preschool, but since mine have been homeschooled from the get-go, its hard for me to "get" where they might be in reading level.

H - 11 (5th grade) - Thinking Maze of Bones (1st 39 Clues book)

F - 6 (1st grade)

G - 4 (home - pretty sure they don't really do preschool)

A - 4 (preschool)

L - 18 months

Any favorites?

If your budget is limited, books may not be the most cost-effective gift choices. I don't know what your budget is, but I might choose small stuffed animals or maybe a ZhuZhu Pet for each of them.

I'm just thinking that little toys might go over bigger with the kids than books would, unless the mom reads to them a lot.

You could also make up little art kits for them, with a box of crayons, colored pencils, and markers in a little plastic box. I buy all that stuff at Walmart when they have the back-to-school (cheap) prices, so I'm not sure how much that would cost to do at this time of year.

Cat

If your budget is limited, books may not be the most cost-effective gift choices. I don't know what your budget is, but I might choose small stuffed animals or maybe a ZhuZhu Pet for each of them.

I'm just thinking that little toys might go over bigger with the kids than books would, unless the mom reads to them a lot.

You could also make up little art kits for them, with a box of crayons, colored pencils, and markers in a little plastic box. I buy all that stuff at Walmart when they have the back-to-school (cheap) prices, so I'm not sure how much that would cost to do at this time of year.

Cat

We can do about $10 or less for each of them, but I can't realy get them a nice toy for that much. They all have basic coloring/art stuff around. I'm thinking of nice picture books or even look and find type books, board books for the baby, favorite beginning readers, that kind of thing, something that they can enjoy, but isn't just cheap stuff to take up room they don't have a lot of.

If you join the Barnes and Noble Kids Club (you can do it online,) you get a coupon for 30% off any kids' book or toy, and you also get discounts on other kids' purchases. BN isn't known for being particularly low-priced, but 30% off isn't bad. Borders almost always has coupons for members, too.

I'd also look in the bargain areas at Borders and Barnes and Noble. I've gotten some very good buys there, and the discounts off the list prices are pretty significant.

Cat