Menu

Handwriting for K'er? Add to CLE LA?

staceyobu

My k'er is doing CLE LA 1. CLE has some handwriting practice like copying words. DD can form letters that look accurate, but she is not actually writing them properly... does that make since? Her x looks like an x, but she writes the wrong line first.

We started A Reason for Handwriting book K last year and are about to finish it now (we do an occasional page on top of CLE work). Should I get another handwriting book to use along with CLE so she can practice rows of letters over and over at a time? Or just watch her form her letters in the CLE work to make sure she is doing them properly?

If you think I should do separate handwriting. should we do the k version of ARfHW again since she is only in kindergarten? Or move up to the next book since we've already completed it once?

Also, I want to add the clarification that she is wrongly forming letters less than 10% of the time. Maybe less than 5% even... so, she definitely has it down for the most part; I just want to make sure she really has it down!

Thanks.

I suggest watching handwriting practice carefully at this stage so she'll develop proper form. I say this as I'm remediating my first grader's handwriting (with HWT). Until he starts regularly using the right form, I'll be watching him do his copywork and other handwriting practice.

Are you doing any copywork? I would keep it really short at that age, of course, but it would be more interesting than writing a letter over and over again.

I think CLE LA is too much for a K. I would rather suggest to do HWT with a phonics program for K and keep CLE LA for next year.

We are already on light unit 105. She hasn't scored below 95% on a unit test. She finishes the work rapidly (a lesson in about 10 minutes). We have already finished a phonics program.

Well , then she is ready for CLE LA . My oldest was ready too at that age but slow in writing. I did lower my expectations for a perfect handwriting at that age . However , I was making sure he writes the letters the correct way so he won't have bad habits hard to correct.

Just show her how to do it . I wouldn't add a separate HW book since CLE has enough of that. With my younger , I won't even attempt CLE la . Instead we are doing FLL& phonics which isplenty for this age.

We're just started using CLE LA with my 3yr old. I sit there with him doing all the letters, if I walk away he would be drawing on the pages. I even hold his hand, but let him do the actual writing. This has helped a lot and keeps his attention focused. Don't expect it to be perfect at this age, they still have years and years to practice it! Adding in another program, would be quite a lot, as CLE is already quite heavy on the handwriting IMO

Well , then she is ready for CLE LA . My oldest was ready too at that age but slow in writing. I did lower my expectations for a perfect handwriting at that age . However , I was making sure he writes the letters the correct way so he won't have bad habits hard to correct.

Just show her how to do it . I wouldn't add a separate HW book since CLE has enough of that. With my younger , I won't even attempt CLE la . Instead we are doing FLL& phonics which isplenty for this age.

Thanks for all the advice. Yeah... she really loves workbooks much better than anything oral. So, CLE gives her enough to stay happy.