Menu

book recommendation for 6yo

I'm stumped. I want to come up with a winner of a book as a Christmas present for my 6 yo boy. He loves The Boxcar Children and My Side of the Mountain, but doesn't want anything "scary" (like, apparently, the Droon books). He's a good reader--he read the above mentioned books on his own. Help me, Librarian Hive, to find *good* mystery/adventure books for him (that are non-scary and age-appropriate)!

I'm stumped. I want to come up with a winner of a book as a Christmas present for my 6 yo boy. He loves The Boxcar Children and My Side of the Mountain, but doesn't want anything "scary" (like, apparently, the Droon books). He's a good reader--he read the above mentioned books on his own. Help me, Librarian Hive, to find *good* mystery/adventure books for him (that are non-scary and age-appropriate)!

My six year old is reading Jigsaw Jones books, but it sounds as if your son may be beyond that.

• 2 weeks later...

Adventures of TinTin-

It is a comic from the 50s I believe all about a boy detective. What kid doesn't love a comic. Check it out! We got it ILL and my son absolutely loved it- it was recommended in the Read-loud Handbook. My son is getting his own copy of the First Vol.

There are a couple of sequels to My Side of the Mountain that my DS enjoyed at about that age. Here's a link to all three on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Side-Mountain-Trilogy-Far-Frightfuls/dp/0525462694/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292783597&sr=8-2

My DS also really liked Hatchet after he read My Side of the Mountain. The boy who's the book's protagonist is flying to visit his father for the summer when the small plane he's on crashes. He survives and has to survive in the wilderness for quite a while. It's called "Hatchet" because his mother gave him a small hatchet before he leaves on his trip, and the hatchet becomes instrumental in his survival. I was a bit worried that the plane crash would be too traumatic for my son at age 6, but he handled it just fine, and he LOVED that book. He's probably read it about 10 times now. If your son likes survival stories, this is a great one for kids.

The Mad Scientists' Club books that someone mentioned are great, and my son really liked those as well. He also loved a rather obscure series called Alvin Fernald: http://www.amazon.com/Marvelous-Inventions-Alvin-Fernald/dp/193090021X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292783849&sr=1-1

Another nice book for advanced readers at young ages is Rascal by Sterling North: http://www.amazon.com/Rascal-PMC-Puffin-Modern-Classics/dp/0142402524/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292783900&sr=1-1

When Sterling North was a boy, he adopted an orphaned raccoon, and this is the story of all that happened. DS said it was sad at the end because Sterling North lets the raccoon go, but he also thought that was the right thing to do, so it was a good kind of sad.