Menu

I just cried my eyes out in front of a hundred kids

Today our school hosted a group of children from a refugee center not too far from here. Malaysia has tens of thousands of refugees from Myanmar. They cannot get work permits and most are forced to beg in order to survive.

A group of people started an educational center to help educate the children of these refugees. Some of our teachers have built relationships with these centers and so we had their students here today to visit with ours. We played games, had lunch together, shared letters, etc. It was a wonderful day.

What was really amazing was the look on the children's faces when they saw the ocean (our school is located literally right on the beach). They had never seen it before and they just stood there mesmerized. We sent them home with care packages our children packed themselves.

After we gathered for a group photo the refugee children all came over to me to say goodbye. Because I am the principal I hold a position of high authority in their eyes and each of them, one by one, came up to me, kissed my hand and touched it to their forehead.

I couldn't help it. I burst into tears. And I'm not a crier.

They were so grateful for everything we had done. One little girl started crying because she didn't want to leave. We are so blessed.

Thank you for coordinating that event; I have a very deep soft spot for the children of the world.

Faith

I have to give the credit to the teachers and students as they really did all the work. And I have to say they learned more through this experience than they would have on any regular class day. They left school that day changed... thankful for the blessings in their lives and motivated to help others less fortunate...a amore important lesson than they could get in a math class. :001_smile:

This is a beautiful story - just precious. You know, Heather, you've got enough material from your experiences there to write a very inspiring, encouraging book. Have you thought you might do that someday? I really think you should.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Oh, yes!!! Hope you're keeping a journal!

How could you not cry? I almost cried reading the post. I too was mesmerized the first time I saw an ocean.

I sort of felt like I am this "professional" and I should have acted more respectable.:tongue_smilie:

But no way! The first little child, in her dirty hijab and tattered clothes, that took my hand, clasped it in both of her hands, kissed it softly and pressed it to her forehead while bowing...IT WAS ALL OVER....mascara was streaming down my face. I was an emotional wreck the rest of the day. In fact, I am getting all teary-eyed writing about it right now.

I sort of felt like I am this "professional" and I should have acted more respectable.:tongue_smilie:

But no way! The first little child, in her dirty hijab and tattered clothes, that took my hand, clasped it in both of her hands, kissed it softly and pressed it to her forehead while bowing...IT WAS ALL OVER....mascara was streaming down my face. I was an emotional wreck the rest of the day. In fact, I am getting all teary-eyed writing about it right now.

I think you acted like a perfectly professional Human Being with a heart... how could someone not cry? Thank you for sharing Heather. :grouphug: