Menu

anyone know of a kids beginning running program

MomOfOneFunOne

like Cto5K but for kids?

My daughter is interested in track and we've contacted our parish school about it. The AD called tonight and said they'd love to have her. The thing is, I have no idea what interested my girl in track b/c she doesn't have much experience with it. The coach said she was sure my girl would have a better time in the beginning if she worked on a bit of conditioning b/f track begins in Feb.

So, I'm thinking of getting her started on a beginner running program like Cto5K but for kids. I figure that if it were geared for kids especially, she'd have more fun with it. And by the way . . . she's not exactly a couch potato. She plays outside, goes to gym once/wk, chases her chickens, walks with me often, plays with the dog, et c.

Any ideas?

There's a program called Girls On The Run that has a curriculum like that for grades 3-5. It's usually run as a group in the fall & spring, but I guess you could use it in a family too. My 8yo is looking forward to trying it next spring with our local elementary school's group. They have lessons on fitness & nutrition, and do longer runs to end with a 5K in the spring.

Edited by K&Rs Mom

like Cto5K but for kids?

My daughter is interested in track and we've contacted our parish school about it. The AD called tonight and said they'd love to have her. The thing is, I have no idea what interested my girl in track b/c she doesn't have much experience with it. The coach said she was sure my girl would have a better time in the beginning if she worked on a bit of conditioning b/f track begins in Feb.

So, I'm thinking of getting her started on a beginner running program like Cto5K but for kids. I figure that if it were geared for kids especially, she'd have more fun with it. And by the way . . . she's not exactly a couch potato. She plays outside, goes to gym once/wk, chases her chickens, walks with me often, plays with the dog, et c.

Any ideas?

Have you checked iTunes? I found some nice podcasts of Couch to 5k runs that include different paced music and audio cues. She might enjoy these or you might find some that are more kid focused. (I'm using the NHS series.)