Menu

Elemental Science Users check in!

Halcyon

So how's it going?? We started science a bit late this year, as we were traveling, but are well into Week 7 of ES Chem with my older and Week 6 of ES Bio with my younger. So far, it's going really well. We need to spend a bit more time, I think, using Usborne and visiting the links for older, but younger is very happy reading about his animals and filling in the notebook pages. And our butterflies are about to hatch! DS is so excited!

Tomorrow we are "catching up" on an experiment from last week and going forward with Week 7 wine glass experiment. We recently received It's Elementary (recommended by another board member) and I think my son will enjoy it--it's a bit "busy" for him, so I think I'll need to read it aloud--he seems to prefer 'solid text' books like Usborne. But it's a fun read :)

We supplement science with a fair amount of science reading, library books, Magic School Bus and Let's Read Aloud Science books, as well as videos like Oceans and other Netflix animal shows. Does anyone know of a fun Netflix vid on chemistry? I think we're going to start watching some of the Mythbusters!

How is everyone else's experience with this curriculum going? Are you planning to continue next year with ES or use something else? Have you found the need/desire to supplement ES? If so, with what?

I used it last year with my boys (the astronomy one) and I am planning on using the Chemistry this year (our school year starts in January). I like it just because I feel so science impaired and handing me a book and saying "read out of this twice a week and do some experiments" does NOT work for me. I did no supplements last year but the boys really loved doing science and my second would check out books on the stars and planets on his own at the library.

It's perfect for what I need right now in my life. I'm hoping next trivium dh will take over teaching it!

We use and love ES. Last year we did biology. This year we're almost done with Earth Science/ Astronomy. We did astronomy first. We are finishing up week 9 of Earth Science this week. We're about to start a few weeks on rocks and fossils. Sometimes I combine days that are short so we'll finish this curriculum up the end of January/beginning of Feb. We'll start chemistry in Feb/Mar.

We use the core books, but add a lot of library books. I'm just now moving to have 3 of the 4 kids read books on their own. My older two just need more. My younger 2 are fine with the core books. Although the KF Rocks and Fossils looks meatier. I may actually substitute some easier library books for the younger two for this topic. We love the experiments and most of them have turned out for us. Tomorrow we will do one that will show us how stalagmites and stalactites form. We'll do the rock candy one next week.

We don't do the experiment write-ups. I won't start that until Logic stage. We do use all the narration pages though and love those! The kids each have a science notebook that their pages go in. It's so fun to see what they've learned about so far!

We watch videos when we can. We've done the usual fare as well as some Eyewitness videos I got for free. They tend to be a bit beyond my younger kids though.

My oldest just started watching Mythbusters and he loves them! Some are a big PG I found out though. (in one episode they test breast implants to see if they burst at certain altitudes... I didn't catch that one in time!)

My kids are excited to start chemistry! Reminds me I have to download it and get planning!:D

My oldest just started watching Mythbusters and he loves them! Some are a big PG I found out though. (in one episode they test breast implants to see if they burst at certain altitudes... I didn't catch that one in time!)

:iagree:yup... had to end up explaining the birds and bees to my 8yo ds because he came running into the room saying, "Hey Mom! What's spermicide?" :blink: Something about using coke?

I am using ES Biology with a 1st and 3rd grader. We are about 8 weeks in and I feel like all we do is cut and paste animals to paper. We have not done any of the experiments(we will be doing one Friday) because I just don't seem to have many of the items on hand. And quite honestly, I just can't out and spend a few dollars here and there for misc. items.

What am I doing wrong? I know it's not the program.

What am I doing wrong? I know it's not the program.

FWIW, I don't think it's you doing something wrong :). Without the experiments and projects, it is a lot of cutting and pasting for narration. Some ideas for livening it up without having to spend money...

-add library books (there is a list of possible books that another ES mom put together at the yahoo group under the biology files)

-add videos from the library (there's video list at the yahoo group as well, I think it's for discovery streaming, but your library may have some of the selections)

-add in nature study using Barb's blog (Barb has alot of the animals, if nothing else, it'll give you an idea that you can pattern after)

If you want to do some of the experiments and don't have the exact materials, try substituting. For example there's a week where you need cotton balls-use some felt or an old t-shirt instead. Your results won't be exactly the same, but you will still get the main point of the experiment. Hope that helps :).

Edited by Pata

We are using Chem this year and finally dd love science! Which is awesome for me since chemistry is my absolute favorite. I do have to agree that Usborne is not my absolute favorite, so I'm looking at other options. I haven't found one I like, so if you all have suggestions to check out, I'm all:bigear:. We'll continue on with Physics next year obviously ;).

I'm using ES Physics with my younger son. It is the perfect mix of experiments, reading, and projects for him. He only likes science when he gets to DO something...which is quite often with this program! He absolutely loves the K'nex gears set and some of the experiments from Gadgets & Gizmos have been HUGE hits. Not all of them have worked, but that has been a good learning experience, too.

I make him do a bit of journaling and defining, but I write up the labs while he dictates. And he enjoys sketching the experiments.

I think I might "go backwards" and use the ES Chem program next year. I don't think it would too young for him; he has not had any exposure to chemistry, yet. I could always beef it up if need be.

Jetta

I think I might "go backwards" and use the ES Chem program next year. I don't think it would too young for him; he has not had any exposure to chemistry, yet. I could always beef it up if need be.

Jetta

I think it would be fine--it's more than easy to 'beef up". I think it's easier to beef up chem than "dumb it down' for a younger kid. Good luck!

I'm using Physics with my 4th grader and Intro with my K'er and 1st grader. We're only at about week 7, but so far I really like it. I love the simplicity of the experiments, and my kids have fun when we remember to do them.

I need to figure out how to move science up in priority, so that we get it done more consistently. I think part of the problem is that we're trying to do it 2 or 3 times a week. If I go back to the 5 day schedule, it may be easier to remember to do science.

DD (9) complains about the writing, but it seems to go better when I leave the room and let her do it herself. I was a chemistry major in college, and my expectations seem to be a little too high.... :blushing:

I am not a huge fan of the Usborne book, either. I think it would be a great resource for middle school, but it's just too much for 3rd/4th. I read it aloud and translate it down to dd's level. I wish there was something better available for this age group, but we make it work.

FWIW, I don't think it's you doing something wrong :). Without the experiments and projects, it is a lot of cutting and pasting for narration. Some ideas for livening it up without having to spend money...

-add library books (there is a list of possible books that another ES mom put together at the yahoo group under the biology files)

-add videos from the library (there's video list at the yahoo group as well, I think it's for discovery streaming, but your library may have some of the selections)

-add in nature study using Barb's blog (Barb has alot of the animals, if nothing else, it'll give you an idea that you can pattern after)

If you want to do some of the experiments and don't have the exact materials, try substituting. For example there's a week where you need cotton balls-use some felt or an old t-shirt instead. Your results won't be exactly the same, but you will still get the main point of the experiment. Hope that helps :).

We're using the Physics program this year and are enjoying it. At first, there was a lot of complaining about the amount of writing to be done, but once they got the hang of it, they seem fine with it. I love the Experiments for Children book and I guess I'm the only one, but I like the Usborne book. At times it's a little too advanced, but it's nice to have a little more meat and introduction of what's to come in the next go around. It's lead to some good discussions. I'm pretty lukewarm on the the Gadgets and Gizmos book. The experiments seem so time consuming for what is really to be learned, but I do like the historic perspective it gives of different inventors and inventions. Overall, the program seems to be a good fit for us and it's refreshing that our experiments are actually working the way they should. I also love that it's pretty open and go and I'm not having to plan yet another subject. I really think the kids are grasping the concepts well and are relating it to what they see in their own lives daily. So, it's definitely a keeper for us.

FYI - I've found that there are The Way Things Work dvds for almost every topic we're covering. It makes a great way to reinforce the topics and have fun at the end the week!

:iagree:yup... had to end up explaining the birds and bees to my 8yo ds because he came running into the room saying, "Hey Mom! What's spermicide?" :blink: Something about using coke?

Oh goodness! I'll have to watch for that one! ;-) Although he knows, I'd rather not have to go into spermicide! Coke??? :001_huh:

We are doing ES Bio and LOVE it! It's becoming my daughters favorite subject. I like that the lessons don't take very long to complete, but that we can add as many books as we want. That's been great when she's especially interested in the topic. The experiments are right at her level. Even my 3 year old looks forward to science time! We are planning to use earth science/astronomy next year.

We are in week 12 or 13 of chemistry. I like ES chemistry for several reasons:

• The experiment book has (mostly) sufficient explanations of the chemistry (since I am in WAYYYYYYYYYY over my head).

• The experiment book has experiments that (mostly) work.

• The writing and cutting and pasting required is perfect for my handwriting/fine motor-opposed son (science is his favorite subject, so he doesn't balk nearly as much as he does about handwriting in any other subject).

• I like the finished product of summaries that is being created by my son, and how easy it is to use his work for daily review.

• I like the quizzes and reviews.

• The incremental schedule is easy for me to follow (although the layout - center justified - is hard for me to read...but I'm weird that way).

• I don't care for Usborne or DK books, in general, either. But, the links are VERY cool, especially the K3 BBC ones.

• We are supplementing with the Basher books (note to self...must learn how to rename links)

http://www.amazon.com/Basher-Chemistry-Getting-Big-Reaction/dp/0753466155/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291989251&sr=8-1

AND

http://www.amazon.com/Periodic-Table-Elements-Style/dp/0753460858/ref=pd_sim_b_2

My son LOVES the Basher books, but these books do classify the Periodic Table elements into different categories, compared to the text that is used in ES Chemistry.

But, my favorite outcome from ES Chemistry is the explanation of polymers I overheard my 9-year-old chemistry son giving to his 13-year-old brother:).

(I still don't understand polymers, but I'm glad my son does...as far as I can tell:).)

(note to self...must learn how to rename links)

Here's how you do it:

• Type out the word/phrase you want to name your link.

• Select your word/phrase

• Click the "Insert Link" button (looks like a planet with a link in front of it)

• Copy the link address into the text box that pops up

We've done 3 weeks of Intro to Science, but will ramp up in January when we start homeschooling. My kids love the experiments and always ask to do science. :)

Right now, I'm going through the book lists and seeing what my local libraries have available. I think we'll get a lot more out of the curriculum when we add in the books as we can. I also ordered the science encyclopedia finally. It probably would have been helpful for the density week, as I really couldn't remember enough about density to explain it to the kids.

One thing I would love to have available is experiment kits! Like have a package of most of the things you'll need for the experiments for the year (like there is for Apologia and RSO). There are several items that I don't have available, like cork, clear film canisters (I haven't used a film camera in years!), a prism, etc. I would totally pay for a kit that had things like that in it, ready to go.

I love the narration pages and the way the curriculum is laid out and easy to use.

I plan to use ES Biology next year and look forward to doing so!

ETA: Customer service is excellent. I couldn't access the alternate recipe for the crystal week in the yahoogroup files, so I emailed Paige. She emailed the recipe very quickly. It's so nice knowing that if I have a problem, the author is so responsive to questions. :)

Edited by boscopup

• 3 weeks later...

Paige,

Have you ever looked at the DK/Google series? I just got one from Rainbow called 'Earth' and it looks really cool. There are internet links like Usborne has which is nice and I have always preferred DK and Kingfisher to Usborne. Just thought I'd pass it along. We're really enjoying your ES Earth & Space this year. : )

Paige,

Have you ever looked at the DK/Google series? I just got one from Rainbow called 'Earth' and it looks really cool. There are internet links like Usborne has which is nice and I have always preferred DK and Kingfisher to Usborne. Just thought I'd pass it along. We're really enjoying your ES Earth & Space this year. : )

Thanks, Carrie, I did look at DK several years ago and remember feeling that it was a bit busy for that age. I'll have to take a look at it again :).

Thanks, Carrie, I did look at DK several years ago and remember feeling that it was a bit busy for that age. I'll have to take a look at it again :).

The main "downside" for the DK-Google books is that they don't seem to be up to date. For example, the one I bought was published in 2007 with no recent edition/update, so no telling if the links will still be there. :glare: Otherwise, I really like the content for my gifted 3rd grader. The other choices in the curriculum are spot on for my 1st grader, but the older needs a little more "meat" to stay with it. :001_smile: Thanks for being open to new ideas!