Menu

What are Great Resources for the Middle Ages

We're wrapping up doing ancient Rome and moving on to the Middle Ages.

What were your very favorite resources for this era. We have a lot of books from our last cycle through history, but I'm sure that I've forgotten many of the books we used or what was a great book, but not useful for my kids at the time. And of course there are all the new books that would have come out in the last several years that I've missed because I wasn't thinking about the middle ages.

So help me brainstorm what was a great hit at your house. WTM board tried and tested.

I'm particularly noticing that there doesn't seem to be a history pockets for this era. Any suggestion for some hands on action?

We've enjoyed reading:

A Door in the Wall

Crispin: Cross of Lead

Good Masters, Sweet Ladies

Whipping Boy

Adam of the Road

The Bible Smuggler

The Kings Shadow

Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest

King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table

Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare

Castle Diary

Famous Men of the Renaissance

Shakespeare Stealer series

various smaller topical books from the library like

Joan of Ark

Bard of Avon

Who was Leonardo DaVinci

Starry Messenger (about Gallileo)

many books on Knights, castles, Vikings, etc

ETA: here's a good thread

Edited by i.love.lucy

My son did Middle ages this year and read:

Famous men of the middle ages

Beowulf: A New Telling Robert Nye Robin Hood

Tales from Arabian Nights (because it fit with the caliphat and harun-al-rashid)

St. George and the Dragon Margarete Hodges

D’ Aulaire’s Book of Norse Myths

Usborne Norse Myths

Ivanhoe Sir Walter Scott (Great Illustrated Classics)

The one and future king TE White

Canterbury Tales retold by Geraldine McCaughrean

Son of Charlemagne Barbara Willard

Saladin Diane Stanley

Joan of Arc Diane Stanley

Very good book list there. The only ones I really wanted to chip in with are...

Catherine Called Birdy

The Midwife's Apprentice

Matilda Bone

- all by Karen Cushman

The Road to Damietta by Scott O'Dell - about the life of St. Francis

I'm especially fond of the Crispin books mentioned above - there are two sequels now. And my kids have loved the D'Aulaire's Norse Myths. Also, we found Mary Pope Osborne's Favorite Medieval Tales to be a good starter book. Oh, and my personal favorite is the TH White version of the Arthur stories - your whole family could enjoy the first part - The Sword in the Stone - as a read aloud.

This isn't for everyone, but I taught oldest dd to read Middle English when we hit logic stage Middle Ages. It isn't all that hard; I needed

(a) Bellerophon's Chaucer (this is the beginning of the General Prologue, with beautiful woodcuts from the Caxton edition);

(b) a Chaucer with translation notes (for me; I used the Riverside edition because I had it on hand, but there are cheaper editions, and I'm sure something online) so that I would be secure about the meanings of the words ahead of time;

© the Chaucer Studio recording of the General Prologue, so we could hear exactly how it was to be pronounced; and

© a vocabulary notebook for entering and studying unfamiliar words.

We started very slowly, one or two lines a day, and when we finished a page, she got to color the woodcut. By the end, she had a good grounding in reading Middle English, had memorized a huge chunk of the beginning of the General Prologue, and had a beautifully illuminated book of Chaucer. It was one of the most rewarding homeschool activities we ever did. I can't wait to do it again with the next girl!

This isn't for everyone, but I taught oldest dd to read Middle English when we hit logic stage Middle Ages. It isn't all that hard; I needed

(a) Bellerophon's Chaucer (this is the beginning of the General Prologue, with beautiful woodcuts from the Caxton edition);

(b) a Chaucer with translation notes (for me; I used the Riverside edition because I had it on hand, but there are cheaper editions, and I'm sure something online) so that I would be secure about the meanings of the words ahead of time;

© the Chaucer Studio recording of the General Prologue, so we could hear exactly how it was to be pronounced; and

We started very slowly, one or two lines a day, and when we finished a page, she got to color the woodcut. By the end, she had a good grounding in reading Middle English, had memorized a huge chunk of the beginning of the General Prologue, and had a beautifully illuminated book of Chaucer. It was one of the most rewarding homeschool activities we ever did. I can't wait to do it again with the next girl!

Wow, I'm speechless. I have one kid who would probably really like this idea.

I merged the various lists from this and the other linked thread and came up with a big list. Some of the titles have 1-2 x's, indicating they were mentioned in multiple lists. I also added in books I was reminded of while searching.

I suppose the good news is that I think I probably have a lot of these in storage that will be coming to the new house. But wow, what a cornicopia of books to work through.

I put the compiled list on my blog.

I'm still looking for more English language titles about central Europe like Charlemagne, and middle European knights and saints.

Here's some suggestions for Charlemagne, etc.:

The Story of Siegfried, James Baldwin (from the Nibelungenlied, Volsungsaga, and Eddas) [i just got this from Dover at their 60% off sale, which has ended; but they currently have a coupon for $10 on their site!]

Dover also has Grimm's Household Tales. But I absolutely love the collected Grimm's Fairy Tales illustrated by Maurice Sendak.

Stories of Charlemagne and the Peers of France, Alfred Church (free at The Baldwin Project )

Saint Elizabeth's Three Crowns (Elizabeth of Hungary)

If you want, I can give you my entire book list for the Middle Ages, here or at your blog.

Here's some suggestions for Charlemagne, etc.:

The Story of Siegfried, James Baldwin (from the Nibelungenlied, Volsungsaga, and Eddas) [i just got this from Dover at their 60% off sale, which has ended; but they currently have a coupon for $10 on their site!]

Dover also has Grimm's Household Tales. But I absolutely love the collected Grimm's Fairy Tales illustrated by Maurice Sendak.

Stories of Charlemagne and the Peers of France, Alfred Church (free at The Baldwin Project )

Saint Elizabeth's Three Crowns (Elizabeth of Hungary)

If you want, I can give you my entire book list for the Middle Ages, here or at your blog.

I'd totally forgotten that we used a few chapters from Church's Stories of Charlemagne. I think I just printed off copies from the Baldwin Project, but that got tiresome quickly (maybe I really do need one of those eReaders?).

I'd love to see your whole list. Every list I read reminds me of something I've forgotten. If you post it here, then everyone can see it. If you've got a blog and want to put a link in my comments, that would be great too.

I'd totally forgotten that we used a few chapters from Church's Stories of Charlemagne. I think I just printed off copies from the Baldwin Project, but that got tiresome quickly (maybe I really do need one of those eReaders?).
Dd8 loves that book (we were fortunate enough to find a beautiful and inexpensive hardcover edition while in Edinburgh). Featuring not just one but two chess-related killings!

Let's see if I can fit the whole list in one post:

Early Middle Ages

General

Famous Men of the Middle Ages (Greenleaf)

The Middle Ages CB (BritMus)

The Middle Ages CB (Dover)

CB of the Middle Ages (Bell)

The Saxons and the Normans Ladybird 400-1272

The Anglo-Saxons Activity Book (BritMus)

Kings and Queens CB (Bell)

500-600

When Saints Were Young St. Genevieve 512 Vision

St. Benedict, Hero of the Hills 529 Windeatt/Vision

The Search for King Arthur 6th C. HC

King Arthur and His Knights 6th C. LM

St. Gregory the Great: Consul of God 590-604 Vision

Augustine Came To Kent 597

600-800

The Hammer of Gaul: The Story of Charles Martel 732

Charlemagne

Charlemagne HC

Son of Charlemagne 781

Charlemagne 771-814 Cal

Stories of Charlemagne Church

The Story of Roland Baldwin

800-900

Alfred

The Right Line of Cerdic 878

Voyage to Coromandel 878

The Marsh King

900-1000

A Song For Young King Wenceslas 907-935

1000-1100

The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow 1010

Sword of Clontarf 1013

The King's Men: A Story of St. Olaf of Norway 1025

William the Conqueror LM

The Field of Sennlac 1066

The Norman Conquest Cal

Splintered Sword 1098

Vikings 800-1100

The Vikings HC

The Vikings LM

Viking Life

Viking Adventure (Bulla)

Story of the Vikings CB (Dover)

Myths and Legends of the Vikings CB (Bell)

The Norse Gods [Cal]

Late Middle Ages

General

The Middle Ages Ladybird

When Knights Were Bold

Illuminated Alphabet CB (Dover)

Design Your Own Coat of Arms (Dover)

The Medieval Knight

Knights and Armor CB (Dover)

Master Builders of the Middle Ages 12th-13th C. HC

Stained Glass Windows CB (Dover)

See Inside a Castle

Castle Life

Knights & Castles

How Castles Were Built

Castles of the World CB (Dover)

Life in a Medieval Castle & Village CB (Dover)

1100-1200

Great Lawyers: King Henry II 1133-1189 (Bell)

The Red Keep 1165

If All the Swords in England 1170

Henry II and Thomas Becket 1170 Ladybird

When Saints Were Young St. Thomas Becket 1170 Vision

Crusades

The Crusades 1095-1269 LM

Paper Soldiers of the Middle Ages: The Crusades (Bell)

Knights of the Crusades HC

The Blue Gonfalon 1095 First Crusade

The Earl's Falconer

A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver 1150

The Crusader: The Story of Richard the Lionheart 1189-1199 Credo

Richard the Lion Heart Ladybird

Where Valor Lies 1248-1250 Seventh Crusade

Saint Louis and the Last Crusade 1248-1254

1200-1300

Otto of the Silver Hand

Genghis Khan and the Mongol Horde 1206-1227 LM

Francis and Clare, Saints of Assisi 1209 Vision

The Magna Carta 1215 LM

King John and Magna Charta 1215 Ladybird

St. Dominic 1215 Windeatt

St Hyacinth of Poland 1220 Windeatt

St. Elizabeth's Three Crowns 1231 Vision

St. Anthony and the Christ Child 1231 Vision

St Thomas Aquinas and the Preaching Beggars 1274 Vision

Marco Polo's Adventures in China 1271-1295 HC

The Story of William Wallace 1297 Corbie

1300-1400

Great Lawyers: The Inns of Court ca. 1300 (Bell)

In Freedom's Cause: A Story of Wallace and Bruce 1292-1315

The Story of Robert Bruce 1314 Corbie

Bl. Imelda Lambertini 1333 Windeatt

The Black Death 1347-1353 [Cal]

The Door in the Wall

The Hundred Years War 1337-1453

Teller of Tales: The Story of Geoffrey Chaucer 1340-1400

Chaucer: Canterbury Tales General Prologue CB (Bell)

St. Catherine of Siena 1380 Windeatt

When Saints Were Young St. Catherine of Siena 1380 Vision

1400-1500

The Story of Henry V 1415 Ladybird

Joan of Arc 1429 HC

Joan of Arc 1429 Vision

Great Lawyers Trial of Joan of Arc 1431 (Bell)

Constantinople: City on the Golden Horn HC

The Fall of Constantinople 1452 LM

Johann Gutenberg & Printing 1455 [Cal]

The Trumpeter of Krakow 1461

Key to publishers/series:

Cal = Calliope magazine

LM = Landmark histories

HC = Horizon-Caravel

Bell = Bellerophon books

BritMus = British Museum Press

CB = coloring book

Edited by Sharon in Austin

Augustine Came to Kent?

I have most on those lists but I didn't see this one on there unless I just missed it for some reason?

Teaching them Middle English is a brilliant idea-I even have the coloring book you used--all I'd need is the recording--I can't wait! I remember my HS English teacher reading it in Middle English and being completely entranced.

Wow! That's awesome!:001_smile:

Augustine Came to Kent?

I have most on those lists but I didn't see this one on there unless I just missed it for some reason?

A great choice. Dd8 just read that one and loved it.

Teaching them Middle English is a brilliant idea-I even have the coloring book you used--all I'd need is the recording--I can't wait! I remember my HS English teacher reading it in Middle English and being completely entranced.
If you spend enough money at The Chaucer Studio, they give you a free Chaucer tote bag. Don't ask me how I know.

I'm doing Middle Ages this year with my 3rd and 6th gradesr. My older son is doing History Odyssey Middle Ages level 2. I'm using the HO reading list plus other books from various curricula (see below). We are also reading one chapter a week from Memoria Press's Famous Men of the Middle Ages along with the student workbook. The book list is for both history and literature.

Also I wanted to recommend Matt Whitling's Medieval Legends:Imitation in Writing. This book has sections from Beowulf, Charlemagne/Roland, Siegfried, St. George, and King Arthur. So far it's been a great tie-in/go along with the history. I haven't bothered trying to match the chapters up to what we are doing in History Odyssey and Famous Men of the Middle Ages. I figure that multiple exposures will just provide alot of reinforcement. Next time we cover this era I will be sure that he gets a more formal outline/time frame for each section.

Middle Ages reading list for 6th Grade

Castle by David Macaulay

The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli

The Trumpeter of Krakow by Eric P. Kelley

Beowulf, A New Telling by Robert Nye

The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow by Allen French

Knight’s Fee by Rosemary Sutcliff

The Story of King Arthur and his Knights by Howard Pyle (with MP student workbook)

The Adventures of Robin Hood by Roger Lancelyn Green (with MP student workbook)

Adam of the Road by Elizabeth Jane Gray (with MP student workbook)

The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer, retold by Geraldine McCaughrean

One Thousand and One Arabian Nights retold by Geraldine McCaughrean

Tales of the Heike (Tales from Japan retold by Helen and William McAlpine)

The Second Mrs. Giaconda by E.L. Konigsburg

Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb

The Shakespeare Stealer by Gary Blackwood

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (with MP student workbook)

Also I wanted to recommend Matt Whitling's Medieval Legends:Imitation in Writing. This book has sections from Beowulf, Charlemagne/Roland, Siegfried, St. George, and King Arthur. So far it's been a great tie-in/go along with the history. I haven't bothered trying to match the chapters up to what we are doing in History Odyssey and Famous Men of the Middle Ages. I figure that multiple exposures will just provide alot of reinforcement. Next time we cover this era I will be sure that he gets a more formal outline/time frame for each section.

I have the Aesop's and Fairy Tales versions of this series, but I haven't seen the Medieval Legends. Can you give me an idea of what level this is written on? How long are the selections?

This might be a really good thing to use, since I'm trying to focus on improved writing and Writing with Skill won't be out yet.

Wow, I'm speechless. I have one kid who would probably really like this idea.

Kid, shmid. I really like this idea for me!!

[i only say that because while we're beginning Middle Ages, my eldest is just 9, so probably not quite ready for Middle English. Which reminds me that my senior English teacher in high school received her degree from Oxford. She had us read selections of [i]Beowulf[/i] in Old English, Chaucer in Middle English, and, of course, Shakespeare in, well, Shakespearean. Wonderful teacher!]

Thanks for all the lists, everyone! Very helpful!

You should go for it. With your knowledge of German it probably won't be that difficult. I did Old English in college and it was a lot of fun.

What? I've never done my party trick of reciting the first 14 lines of the Prologue in Middle English for you? Remind me when we have coffee. It really freaks the kids out.

I learned this in one high school and then it was an assignment the next year after I'd moved to a new school. It sort of sealed my reputation as an odd duck that I was able to recite this the day after it was assigned.

The running joke in my English undergrad days was that if you started reciting this in a bar and then watched who joined in, you'd know who the other weirdos were that you wanted to hand out with.

Chaucer is great. I will probably read through The Knight's Tale with my kids, since it is such an interesting merger of Greek and Medieval settings and points of view.

What? I've never done my party trick of reciting the first 14 lines of the Prologue in Middle English for you? Remind me when we have coffee. It really freaks the kids out.

I learned this in one high school and then it was an assignment the next year after I'd moved to a new school. It sort of sealed my reputation as an odd duck that I was able to recite this the day after it was assigned.

The running joke in my English undergrad days was that if you started reciting this in a bar and then watched who joined in, you'd know who the other weirdos were that you wanted to hand out with.

Chaucer is great. I will probably read through The Knight's Tale with my kids, since it is such an interesting merger of Greek and Medieval settings and points of view.

I did exactly the same thing in high school. That and being able to recite Jaberwocky or sing the French national anthem are enough to convince my family that I am disturbed. Funny the memory items that stick with you.

Maybe there is a club somewhere for people with these "problems". :lol:

I have the Aesop's and Fairy Tales versions of this series, but I haven't seen the Medieval Legends. Can you give me an idea of what level this is written on? How long are the selections?

This might be a really good thing to use, since I'm trying to focus on improved writing and Writing with Skill won't be out yet.

Sorry I didn't see your response before tonight. Each reading selection is roughly one page front and back, approx 10pt font. The selections are written in older English, a bit challenging but I like my 6th grading being exposed to this kind of language. This is listed as 4th Grade by Veritas Press...but IMO this would be pretty challenging for most 4th graders. Here is a sample I found online (no idea how to make a cool link):

http://writing-edu.com/writing/PDF%20samples/Logos/IWL_Sample.pdf

Happy Hunting!

I did exactly the same thing in high school. That and being able to recite Jaberwocky or sing the French national anthem are enough to convince my family that I am disturbed. Funny the memory items that stick with you.

Maybe there is a club somewhere for people with these "problems". :lol:

Or God Save the Tsar or parts to Boris Gudenov?

I think there is a club, and we're definitely in it.

Sorry I didn't see your response before tonight. Each reading selection is roughly one page front and back, approx 10pt font. The selections are written in older English, a bit challenging but I like my 6th grading being exposed to this kind of language. This is listed as 4th Grade by Veritas Press...but IMO this would be pretty challenging for most 4th graders. Here is a sample I found online (no idea how to make a cool link):

http://writing-edu.com/writing/PDF%20samples/Logos/IWL_Sample.pdf

Happy Hunting!

Oh, this looks like it is a good jump above Fairy Tales, which is a step above Aesop. Do you do each selection at once or do you take it one part at a time (ie, taking three sessions to complete the three sections in the Beowulf selection in the sample)?

I think VP marks it as 4th grade because that's where Middle Ages falls for them. I'd say this is would be quite a challenge for many fourth graders. I know it will make my kids' eyes bug out. But it will be good for them.

No! You've never told me. We read a bit of Beowulf in class, but the professor offered the course since we were interested. It was a fun class. I had one of my hand-outs here, but now I can't find it. grrr. You probably would have liked hanging out with the group from my Medival Europe classes. The last class was always at the bar and the prof bought the first round--not that I was old enough to drink LOL.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We've moved into the phase of our middle ages studies that have my kids outlining Kingfisher and then researching and writing about topics from the reading (a la WTM).

This week they both picked Henry of Anjou and Thomas a Becket. And then struck out at the library.

I think I've salvaged things by pointing them to our set of The Story of Civilization by the Durants. But I wanted to give them another list of resources.

So I put together this set of online sites that seemed reasonably well founded. Thought that I'd share the list.

Middle Ages resources

English Monarchs http://www.englishmonarchs.co.uk/index.htm

Middle Ages.net http://www.themiddleages.net/

Middle Ages.org http://www.middle-ages.org.uk/

Minnesota State University eMuseum http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/history/middleages/

Norton Anthology of English Lit Middle Ages pages (esp King Arthur, Beowulf and religious orders) http://www.wwnorton.com/college/english/nael/middleages/welcome.htm

Music History (from Drexel) http://www.ipl.org/div/mushist/middle/index.html

Washington State University http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/MA/MA.HTM

Met Museum (Medieval Art) http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hi/te_index.asp?i=15

Internet Medieval Sourcebooks http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook1.html

Sorry I didn't stop to make it pretty. I'm behind on school with the youngest.

Thanks to everyone who contributed resources! I'll be back to take notes this weekend :D

We're at the start of the Middle Ages section in Human Odyssey----it begins with the Islamic world, then heads into western Africa, Europe, China and the Mongol empire.

My lone contribution from this week:

Mosque by David Macaulay

Thanks to everyone who contributed resources! I'll be back to take notes this weekend :D

We're at the start of the Middle Ages section in Human Odyssey----it begins with the Islamic world, then heads into western Africa, Europe, China and the Mongol empire.

My lone contribution from this week:

Mosque by David Macaulay

The Metropolitan Museum link has a lot of resources for non-Western art, including an entire section on Islamic art.

I recently added the following links to my resource list. The Abelard link has some very good stuff on the construction of cathedrals (though the interests of the site do seem to wander far and wide).

Fairy Tales http://surlalunefairytales.com/

History of Art, Janson 6th ed. http://wps.prenhall.com/hss_janson_histofart_6/

Abelard.org http://www.abelard.org/france/cathedral-construction.php