Menu

Recommendations for Trader Joe's savory and sweet gift items

I've decided to give TJ food as gifts. I couldn't figure out what to get MIL and GMIL. One is fussy and the other doesn't need anything. Besides, who needs more junk?

My plan is to get them each a reusable TJ bag (I think they are kind of groovy) and fill it with a mix favorites. I came up with the chocolate chip cookies and the chocolate covered bing cherries. Anybody want to volunteer favorites for this gift bag. I would like to spend @$25. That's the gift exchange guideline. Some savory items would be good.

The nuts are great--cashews would be a lovely addition.

I regularly get dh the dark chocolate bars (3 pack). Right now they have some boxed bars, I think 5, where each is 100 calories. Dh is getting those for Xmas.

The Pita bite crackers are wonderful. I would think that would be good for the next generation up.

I like the Spicy Black Bean dip and the organic tortilla chips.

The chocolate covered Joe-Joes are a treat here because they're pretty pricey. They also have a pear champagne salad dressing that is really good. They have good wines and this time of year they have a gingerbread coffee that is my absolute favorite; I always buy enough to last me through March (it's only sold in Nov. and Dec.). One of my favorite snacks is their corn tortilla flatbread crackers and hummus, but I don't know if refrigerated items will work for you (that champagne pear salad dressing is refrigerated too, btw). Good luck! I'd love to know what you came up with, btw!

I third (fourth?) the maple-leaf cookies. Peppermint Joe-Joe's are good.

My favorite savory item is the white cheddar popcorn.

There's a trail mix that has peanut brittle, dark chocolate and dried cherries along with the usual nuts. That's really good. I think it's called "tempting trail mix"?

They also have (I think) honey-sesame-seed-coated cashews.

I think their rice crackers are good, and so is the roasted seaweed, but don't do it if the recipients dislike that fishy taste. :)

Ooooh, and a jar of the Thai green curry sauce . . . yuuummmmm.

And if you're buying yummy TJ's stuff, throw in some of their tea or coffee! and (if your recipients are the sort) Framboise Lambic (super-yummy raspberry beer) or Eye of the Hawk!

Hmmm.

I guess you want nonperishables?

Favorites: Candy cane Joes (like Oreos with candy cane filling), meringue cookies, their nuts are very good and inexpensive, citrus vinegar (yummy on a salad with olive oil) , peach salsa, double-roasted garlic salsa. They have some kind of puffed potato chip that is really yummy. Can't remember what they are called. I have not had good luck with their wines.

Can you put cheese in the bag? I don't think it has to be refrigerated every minute, but keep in the fridge until gift unveiling time. I love Trader Joe's White Stilton Cheese with apricots, or, at this time of year they usually have it with dried cranberries instead of apricots. So good on their Stone-Ground Crackers!

Oh, another savory treat is their Thai-spiced nuts - cashews or peanuts.

I third (fourth?) the maple-leaf cookies. Peppermint Joe-Joe's are good.

My favorite savory item is the white cheddar popcorn.

There's a trail mix that has peanut brittle, dark chocolate and dried cherries along with the usual nuts. That's really good. I think it's called "tempting trail mix"?

They also have (I think) honey-sesame-seed-coated cashews.

I think their rice crackers are good, and so is the roasted seaweed, but don't do it if the recipients dislike that fishy taste. :)

Ooooh, and a jar of the Thai green curry sauce . . . yuuummmmm.

And if you're buying yummy TJ's stuff, throw in some of their tea or coffee! and (if your recipients are the sort) Framboise Lambic (super-yummy raspberry beer) or Eye of the Hawk!

That's for ME, honey! What is Eye of the Hawk?

peanut butter filled pretzels (we prefer the salted ones)

dark chocolate covered roasted edamame

Snapea crisps

dark chocolate covered roasted cocoa nibs (in a little tin by the register)

yogurt star cookies

everything crackers

Edited by KarenNC

That's for ME, honey! What is Eye of the Hawk?

Just a really good, basic beer. My husband tends to like light ales, and I tend to like dark brews (Young's Double Chocolate, Guinness, etc.) and Eye of the Hawk is one in the middle that we both agree is just refreshing and yummy and awesome. So, basically, it's what we'll buy by the six-pack in this house. :) It's a regular on our TJ shopping list.

As an addendum to my last: TJ's will let you buy beer by the bottle. I found that out by accident once. I grabbed a six-pack of something, and it turned out to only have five bottles in it, and the checker only charged me for five. So I asked, and found out that you can buy by the bottle. Which is how I ended up discovering Eye of the Hawk: for awhile, I bought six bottles of six different beers, instead of a six-pack, so that we could try a bunch and see what we liked. Eventually we settled on Eye of the Hawk as our favorite.

:lol: I get so many helpful tips from here, and when I finally think of one to contribute myself, it's about beer! Oh well . . .

I did this one year for the in-laws. They don't have TJ's but loved the sourdough bread so I got them several loaves to freeze. I love the dark chocolate covered shortbread stars that they have now. I also like their Powerberries. I have given people their vanilla and jars of 21 Salute seasoning. Would they be interested in the pure stevia? You can get a $10 bottle of 600 servings!