Menu

OCCT test in Oklahoma mandatory?

persephone43

I am pulling my ds out of ps after Christmas and I was just told by my sons school counselor that at the end of this year I would have to have him tested even if I homeschooled. I didnt have to do this with my dd a few years back. Is she correct? Its the Oklahoma Core Cirriculum Test that is done every year in 3-7th grade, I believe, that determines whether they "pass" to the next grade level. I was told this was mandatory for even homeschooled children. She said I may have trouble if I were to enroll him again in ps a few years down the road if he did not pass these tests. Can anyone in Oklahoma please clarify this for me?

Thanks.

OK has ZERO requirements. Some school districts may want to test them if they are ever put back into PS but even then you don't have to follow what they tell you with the tests. After a friends DD was tested to go back in they told her to put her a grade lower than she was but mom refused and she got place where she should have been. ( the DD is doing great at that level BTW).

A friend of mine homeschools in OK and there are no requirements. It sounds reasonable enough that if you ever do put him back in public school they'd want him to take some kind of standardized test. But that's reason and common sense, not necessarily the way of the public schools!

From HSLDA's pdf on Oklahoma:

--Teaching the following subjects is therefore strongly recommended: math, language arts, science, and social studies.

--Oklahoma law does not require parents to use certified teachers or state-approved curricula, initiate contact with, register with or seek approval from state or local officials, test their students or permit public school officials to visit or inspect homes. If a parent is teaching his children the basic subjects for at least 180 days, the law requires nothing more.

--Teacher Qualifications: None.

--Standardized Tests: Not required by statute.

Edited by VA6336

I'm in OK as well and have pulled 2 of my dc out of ps here. There are absolutely no requirements to test in OK. The only thing I did was give the school a letter stating I was pulling my dc out of school to homeschool them. That isn't required either, but the school threatened to report my ds as truant if I didn't.

Nope. Counselor is wrong. We don't have to do nuttin'. :)

You do need to make a serious decision at the 9th grade level. They do not have to count homeschool classes for high school credit. I think that most won't, or maybe they can't? The kids have to pass CLEP tests if they want something to count for graduation credits. Many run into trouble with wanting to enroll for 10th, 11th, or 12th and the kids have to start at the 9th grade level to get enough credits to graduate.

OK has ZERO requirements. Some school districts may want to test them if they are ever put back into PS but even then you don't have to follow what they tell you with the tests. After a friends DD was tested to go back in they told her to put her a grade lower than she was but mom refused and she got place where she should have been. ( the DD is doing great at that level BTW).

Ok, thank you, thats what I thought. Oklahoma has been the greenest of green states and I want that to continue!

Just a moment to vent: I know his counselor is young and doesnt understand what its like to be the mother of a child who is "failing the system", but she was very, very condescending when she spoke with me about my decision, which I did not appreciate. Thats a learned behavior. I hate that they are so brainwashed in college into thinking that their way is the only way. People have been educating their own children at home for centuries. Its not like we sat down to dinner one evening and decided to conduct a cultural science experiment on our children, as if they were lab rats. :banghead: