Menu

Writing Tales 1

Whereneverever

We're using WT2 with my oldest, but I intend to use WT1 with my youngest next year. I add Rod and Staff for Grammar. I don't think WT has enough grammar in it to count as a grammar curriculum. Where it has a grammar lesson, it is to give the student a better understanding of their writing, and to help them be a better writer. Likewise, I don't feel Rod and Staff is a complete writing program. I still have my dd do the writing exercises in Rod and Staff (descriptive paragraphs, book reports, mini-reports etc) because I think both curriculum together make a complete program.

There are examples of lessons on-line that give you a good idea of what to expect from the program.

HTH!

Dorinda

I alternate formal grammar and spelling.

So last year Writing Tales 1 (and our other writing following SWB) was "enough" spelling, but we did FLL 3. This year WT 2 is "enough" grammar but we are doing Sequential Spelling for a formal spelling program.

I haven't decided what writing we are doing next year, but we will probably be doing R&S English 5 for formal grammar.

But no, I don't really think it is enough to count as a serious study of either spelling or grammar.

I would not count it as enough grammar or spelling. The spelling is words you missed in your drafts. no rules or anything, just what you missed.

My ds is doing WT 1 with Daily Grams 4. This way we are focusing on writing but getting daily grammar.

We also use AAS 3 but I admit it's a sloooooow pace( my fault).

Next year I am thinking of doing R&S 4 along with AAS and come back to WT 2 after a solid grammar year.

so basically I alternate writing focus and grammar focus but am always working through spelling slowly ;-)

Hmmm. . .Have you looked into Learning Language Arts Through Literature? It is a "complete" curriculum for LA. However, I think it's hard to find and "all in one" that fits a child. I love the idea of LLATL, but the reading selections were always below my dd. There's also Primary Language Lessons and Queens Homeschool. I've tried them all and have always had to have a separate grammar, spelling and writing program. If you're having trouble fitting it all in, you could use First Language Lessons, Writing With Ease. They seem to fit together nicely.

FWIW we use WT, Building Spelling Skills, R&S and DITHOR with my oldest.

With my youngest we use R&S for Phonics, Spelling and English, and DITHOR. Next year I intend to continue R&S for English and Spelling, DITHOR, and WT1 with my youngest. I'm thinking I'll bump my oldest into CW's Homer, but I'll keep everyone in R&S for English.

HTH!

Dorinda