Menu

Chess with Fritz and Chester, which level to buy?

Playing chess with Fritz & Chester- I am looking at getting this for my dd9. She knows some of the basics and I am wondering what level of Fritz and Chester I should purchase. I think that I've seen level 1, 2, 3...12 and I am unsure which level to get to help her love learning to play. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Susan

Both my girls did Fritz and Chester and loved it! Both knew some chess, but they still liked doing the whole game. I would start with 1, and buy 2 & 3 if you can. My youngest pulled it out the other day after not doing it for a couple of years and worked her way back through all 3 CD's. I noticed later my other daughter joined in and was doing it too.

Great game and I guess you could start with 2, but would really suggest starting with 1.

My ds started with 1, and I think it's still his favorite. I wouldn't get the others until you see if your dd likes it (unless there's a heavily discounted package deal!) :)

Cat

Edited to add: If you have a Mac, this is a great deal for all 3: http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Chess-Fritz-Chessters-Complete/dp/B004079BZE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1291819461&sr=8-5

Edited by Catwoman

I forgot to mention this in my earlier post, but when you buy the software, be sure it specifically mentions that it works with the operating system you use. Otherwise, it can be very buggy and not work properly. (Some games seem to work "no matter what," but we haven't found Fritz and Chesster games to be among them.)

Cat

If you have a Mac, you can get all three levels in one package for $20.

Microsoft says Fritz & Chesster will run on Windows 7, but I think it's officially recommended for XP and lower.

There are only 3 Fritz & Chesster levels: Learn to Play Chess, Learn to Play Chess 2, and Chess for Winners.

Learn To Play Chess With Fritz and Chesster covers all the rules of chess, from basic moves to castling and stalemate.

Learn To Play Chess With Fritz and Chesster 2: Chess in the Black Castle covers chess strategy and tactics, chess openings, and endgames.

Chess for Winners contains opening schemes, tactics, recognizing checkmates, endgame training, and key squares.

There is also a program called Fritz Chess 12 (meaning 12th edition), but it's a very different program. "Fritz" is the name of a chess engine.

Jackie